• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossgen's El Cazador

13 posts in this topic

Anyone pick this up this week? They've been hyping/building this one up a lot, so I picked it up, thinking it might be a "sleeper" hit. The artwork is gorgeous, the subject matter is different and interesting, and it took more than 5 minutes to read (I think it might have been a 40-pager instead of 32 pages), though I thought the story was a bit disjointed. I'll probably stick it out for the first TPB-sized story arc and make a call after that.

Any thoughts? Sleeper hit or doomed to obscurity with most of Crossgen's other titles? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gene

"doomed to obscurity with most of Crossgen's other titles" would be my Guess - Crossgen's floundering on the individual pamphlets sales and interest andits fans are smart enough to know that they will tpb everything eventually and just wait for it. I opened it on the shelves as well and paged thru it. The 16 year old clerk recommended it highly (whther that recommend was genuine or had some alteriior motive, I can't decide...) but it may enjoy shortlived rise due to hy[e and then die down when people wake up and realize it's Crossgen putting it out tongue.gif

I expected a lot more than was delivered. Ill stick with it for awhile but it seemed rushed compared to other Crossgen titles that roll out the storyline much slower. And, explain to me, how this girl takes over a ship full of cutthrost pirates (albeit stupid henchmen) with one puny threat?? Certainly there are a couple of nasty number two pirates who would have killed her in her sleep that same night, if not on the spot. Unless we are supposed to believe that she's Batman or something, or D and noone can sneal up on her...

Im sure they will add to this and explain maybe even have a revolt where she kills a few mutineers, but, basically, until she gets a tight fitting costume like Arwyn in Sojourn, Im on the fence on this title.

The artwork is gorgeous, the subject matter is different and interesting, Gene

Gene, I couldn't agree with you more. I picked this book up and was not dissapointed. Of course, I love it when the girl comes out on top. blush.gif

Me too..... ooo.gif

Chris,

I should have bought a copy the same day that you did. I went back to the shop that Saturday and they had sold out. The owner told me that he even ordered more than usual for a Crossgen book. On top of that, the suppliers are back ordered so he is not expecting anymore anytime soon...

frown.gif

I've always been against Croosgen a bit because Wizard hypes them so much, that it caused a bit of a backlash in my mind. I did pick up a copy of Sojourn and the art was really, really nice but the story doesn't look like anything that would interest me.

El Cazador sounds fun...maybe I'll check it out.

This was the first Crossgen that caught my interest enough to be added to my pull list. I saw the ads in CBG and they hooked me, so last month I asked to get it when it was released in September. The shop owner didn't even recognize the title when I asked for it. I'm likely the only subscriber at his shop!