• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: How much for a low grade Scrooge collection?

Scrooge Collection  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Scrooge Collection

13 posts in this topic

I purchased a complete run of Uncle Scrooge from a collector yesterday. FC 386 all the way through the end of the Gladstone run. General condition is 2-2.5 on all books in the first 100. 4-4.5 on 101-175. 8-9.0 on everything else.

If you're a Scrooge collector you'll want to know that there was no Whitman 179 in the group. 64 (the banned from reprints Barks book) was a 1.5-2 due to tape over the staples. Finally, the seller pulled 309-318 b/c he had seen Ebay prices of $125 for 309 and big prices for the others. He wanted $100 more just for them and I wouldn't do it. (shrug)

Give me your thoughts on what I should have paid. My goal is to flip enough books to pay for the collection and the evaluate what to keep and what to keep selling.

The 386 should get $100 the others early issues 2-10 get surprisingly little in low grade probably $100 for that lot maybe $150. Probably as a lot you can get $250-300 for 11-100 in sub VG and $200 for 101-200 maybe more if the Whitmans are in above 9.0. Probably $100 for the next 100 so call it $750 in large lots maybe more if broken up a bit more.

You'd be surprised how many folks love readers of Uncle Scrooge, even the reprints. If you ebay them I highly recommend allowing shipping to Europe, almost guaranteed you'll get a bidder from there if not the final winner.

I say sell them all and keep the 386. After you read the first 70 Barks issues of course.

Ok. So maybe the poll was a bad idea on a topic little people have interest in anyway. I paid $500 for the whole shebang which included some mini runs of Uncle Scrooge Adventures, Ducktales s1 and s2. It was a total of about 390 books altogether. This included some beater duplicate copies of 9 books in the range of issues 20-50. I figured that a little over $1 a book for a collection that included 1-200 of Uncle Scrooge was pretty good.

Ok. So maybe the poll was a bad idea on a topic little people have interest in anyway. I paid $500 for the whole shebang which included some mini runs of Uncle Scrooge Adventures, Ducktales s1 and s2. It was a total of about 390 books altogether. This included some beater duplicate copies of 9 books in the range of issues 20-50. I figured that a little over $1 a book for a collection that included 1-200 of Uncle Scrooge was pretty good.

I voted for "more than $750". I figured $2.00 per book - around $800.

Nice buy! Great collection!

Throw up some scans :applause:

On which ones? I may put up some scans of the 1-10 of the low grades if anyone is interested. If I do, it would probably be in GA as those books technically fit there. If you want scans of the HG copies I just bought, you can either see the pics in the other thread or wait til I have them in hand.

I just went to an "estate"/garage sale. They had about 400 disney gladstone books he wanted a $ each. I offered $100 for them all, but he passed.

he also had better books 10 to 40 cent covers that he wanted 3$ each. It was 110+ outside so I had no interest in looking for better books to pull so I offered him 200 for about 180 books but he wanted 250 and would not nogiate further from there so I passed for now. I am sure that most of them would be there later as I can imagine many people actually going out to garage sales when it

he also has about 1000 other books. As they were mostly unbagged and unsorted I probably would even want them for a dime each.

Are my prices too low?

guy was selling off the contents of dearly departed Gramps various storage units of accumulation.

I bought #3 (the horseradish story) in a lower grade about 15 years ago for $15. I saw it at Detroit or Chicago this year for exactly the same price. Many of the early Dell Scrooges can be found for $5 sometimes less. The later Gladstone issues are worth very, very little-- perhaps a buck a piece. I suppose it would be nice to have the run though.

I love the Barks Scrooges every bit as much as I love EC, Crumb, the FF or Ditko Spider-man.

It's really going to depend on condition. I don't think you were way off on your offers. The gladstone issues sell okay in lots. $3/book is a little high, unless they're $.10 covers and/or pretty good condition. You could always look for the keys, 1-20, 64, 179. 179 is a definite find if it's there. It was only distributed in Whitman 3 packs and is very scarce.

First let me state I love SCrooge and have a complete run of this title and all the Barks 4 colors. That said, I am very disappointed at how few Scrooge collectors there seem to be out there. You did great with the price you paid but you will be disappointed if you put up many on Ebay. Recently I put up some VG dupes I had of 50's Scrooges and most didn't even get minimum bids in the $4 range. They are wonderful books but seem to have lost the interest of later comics readers

keith contarino

I agree about the lack of interest that seems to be out there. I've noticed on Ebay that these types of issues only seem to move if they are in lots. I'm hopeful that HG Scrooge will do better as I'm sending off some books to CGC this week that I got on Ebay. Of the 6 books (2, 4,5,6,9,10), I'm thinking that there should be a couple of 9s, three 8-8.5s and a 7.5. :wishluck: