• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on completed Uncle Scrooge Lot Ebay auction

22 posts in this topic

I would welcome your thoughts on a recent Ebay auction here

nn2310a.jpg

nn2310b.jpg

Was I overly optimistic on the condition? If just 1 of the 2,4,5,6 issues grades at 8.0, I've paid for a big chunk of the auction and I get to upgrade my copies for every issue.

FYI, the issues (US only) are from the bottom up 4, 456(2), 10, 9 then 6 & 5 on the top.

Thanks in advance. The seller has a 7 day return if the grades are way out of whack with the photos.

Edited for bad spelling in title

Didn't know those books sold for that much....wow

In higher grades, they really move. According to GPA, once you get above 8.0, it's Katy bar the door. This may be a classic case of buying the hope. However, I thought posting here might draw out some of the other bidders. I kind of assume they're here. I'm sure I'll be posting scans in the PGM forum before sending them to CGC.

This guy had some nice Mystery in Space books that went for more than what I graded (via big pics like this one) them in OSPG.

Re: MIS Lot

tommyfoxwood strikes again, wonder how much of a post-purchase price adjustment he'll ask for this time .. buy on hope, negotiate later ..

????

Its the old buyer's remorse play .. after he receives the books, complains that "they are not what I expected", states "I paid a really high price", and then throws out "hate to return them, but if I have to" and waits to see if the seller makes a price reduction to save the sale.

No offense, but you don't know me and have no reason to suspect that I would do that. I requested more detailed scans and photos prior to the auction's end. The problems I'm thinking of would have to be pretty severe on the inside to warrant a reduction or return as the seller at least provided nice size photos.

By the way, perhaps you didn't see this part of the auction description "All items we sell are at the customers approval. Your only risk is return shipping."

The books look just gorgeous. Best of luck mate!

Thanks. I even contacted the seller to try to talk by phone to discuss how to pack them. The seller is a general flea market/antiques appearing seller. The last thing I want is for him to slap them in a padded envelope and send them USPS. I'd love to know if he/she's surprised at the ending value on these comics. The lots the seller has had have been pretty HG looking stuff.

Thanks Steve and shiverbones. I haven't noticed a lot of Ducks traffic here or in SA, but I just joined. I posted re: a complete run of Uncle Scrooge lower grades that I bought last weekend in the SA forum. Here

Didn't know those books sold for that much....wow

In higher grades, they really move. According to GPA, once you get above 8.0, it's Katy bar the door. This may be a classic case of buying the hope. However, I thought posting here might draw out some of the other bidders. I kind of assume they're here. I'm sure I'll be posting scans in the PGM forum before sending them to CGC.

This guy had some nice Mystery in Space books that went for more than what I graded (via big pics like this one) them in OSPG.

Chances are the competing bidders were in Europe. The dollar is weak now allowing for strong overseas sales.

You should consider having these books pressed (I would). It will get rid of that annoying bend and they'll lay flat and look stunning. Send them to Matt.

Pressing was a consideration when I was bidding. The pics seem to show a slight roll but since they were on top of each other, I couldn't say for sure. That decision is going to really depend on the presence of other defects and the amount that a pressing could help.

There may not be anyone who cares, but I got these books in today. They are gorgeous. Everyone is a 7.5. A couple might hit 9. Only 1 falls as low as like a 5.5-6. I'm very pleased. As for pressing, there are couple of books that might benefit. Got to think about that when I have some time. No scans for now as I am swamped, but I will ASAP. Really really nice books. A little Ebay gamble pays off.