• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look FISHY???

6 posts in this topic

Been keeping an ey on this one Kelly Jones auction...I checked the bid history ( http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=110164705774 ) and was thinking this was VERY similar to another auction ( http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=140150765234 ) that ended recently.

TO ME THIS IS VERY FISHY!!! Seems to me someone is thrill bidding or ???

Does anyone know the "asterix asterix" bidders???

-Hart

The asterisk asterisk is Ebay's new way of keeping bidders identities hard to figure out. I've heard they use first and last letters of the ID, but someone else said the letters change. So I'm not sure if you can tell who someone is that way or not. I don't know what improvement this is over "Bidder 1" etc.

Not sure if someone is thrill bidding or just interested in the art but only until it gets to a certain level.

(shrug)

Hart,

I'm at work, so I can't see the auctions, but I just wanted to say that is will be VERY DIFFICULT to tell who the peeps are using the asterk names. The reason I say this is I looked at an auction I was bidding on while not logged in. My ebay name "mister-not-so-nice" converted to asteriks it "m****i" so its not first and last with *** in the middle.

The new bidding history is a step up from the totally anonymous "Bidder 1", "Bidder 2" description (although I still wish they'd go back to showing the full ID's). In the case of the auctions you list, they don't look fishy to me, especially the second one. The underbidder in that case is legit. He just bought something from me.

They both look fine to me. Just last week I had a zero-feedback bidder place something like 20 bid on one auction, obviously looking for the minimum bid to become the high bidder.