• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple Pull Question

11 posts in this topic

Quick Question...

Suppose I have a book that has a staple pull. If I had a professional fix it would it get a Blue or Purple CGC label. The staple is half way in and half out of the spine.

Thanks,

CC

What's the book?

Define "fix"

Do you mean tuck the paper back under, or reinforce the staple area?

If the former then blue, if the latter then purple.

Ze-

Define "fix"

Ze-

I mean stick the sharp end of the staple back in through the book and then clamp it down. It would be the original staple.

CC

It would get a blue label , and downgraded accordingly if the area was damaged as a result of reinserting the staple.

Ze-

Define "fix"

Ze-

I mean stick the sharp end of the staple back in through the book and then clamp it down. It would be the original staple.

CC

It would get a blue label , and downgraded accordingly if the area was damaged as a result of reinserting the staple.

Ze-

No there would be no damage at all to the book. Just reinsert the book through the tiny hole. The problem would be clamping it down. This is why I would let a professional do it.

CC

No there would be no damage at all to the book. Just reinsert the book through the tiny hole. The problem would be clamping it down. This is why I would let a professional do it.

CC

My understanding is a book like yours could be completely disassembled, the loose cover and folios individually dry cleaned and pressed, then the book reassembled and realigned with a finishing press. If expertly done it would be graded CGC Blue Universal, since "nothing was added". And with no one the wiser unless you chose to disclose it, indistinguishable from it's untampered-with counterparts out in the marketplace.

Misinformation? Somebody correct it if that's bogus urban legend info.

CC

My understanding is a book like yours could be completely disassembled, the loose cover and folios individually dry cleaned and pressed, then the book reassembled and realigned with a finishing press. If expertly done it would be graded CGC Blue Universal, since "nothing was added". And with no one the wiser unless you chose to disclose it, indistinguishable from it's untampered-with counterparts out in the marketplace.

Misinformation? Somebody correct it if that's bogus urban legend info.

Sad but true. hm Anyways it's not that bad. All that needs to be done is the original staple needs to be pushed back in and then clamped down.

-cc