• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE: Batman 23 in HG...what would you do?

50 posts in this topic

Quote by sacentaur from the Uthe thread:

Uthe has been at this for a LONG time. About 25 years ago, we came into contact via the mail and I agreed to sell him an absolute killer (white-paged) copy of Batman 23, a mid-grade Comic & Stories 31, and several other books I've now long forgotten about.

Anyway, I rec'd several international money orders in the mail so I shipped him the books. By the time the money orders came back from the bank as counterfeit, I was screwed. I learned of several other collectors in Canada and the US that he did the same thing to, and we pooled together so that I could fly to Germany in an attempt to resolve the matter. However, I then got hired in a new job and had to let it go.

I did once manage to track him down and actually spoke to his landlady who in broken English told me that Wilhelm had "problems" and that he had moved away.

He advertised in CBG sometime in the 90's, but I phoned them immediately and they banned him.

I would be very interested to be a part of any action taken against this scum.

STEVE

Steve, could this be your old Batman 23 after all these years? :o

Jeff

Uthe has been at this for a LONG time. About 25 years ago, we came into contact via the mail and I agreed to sell him an absolute killer (white-paged) copy of Batman 23, a mid-grade Comic & Stories 31, and several other books I've now long forgotten about.

Anyway, I rec'd several international money orders in the mail so I shipped him the books. By the time the money orders came back from the bank as counterfeit, I was screwed. I learned of several other collectors in Canada and the US that he did the same thing to, and we pooled together so that I could fly to Germany in an attempt to resolve the matter. However, I then got hired in a new job and had to let it go.

I did once manage to track him down and actually spoke to his landlady who in broken English told me that Wilhelm had "problems" and that he had moved away.

He advertised in CBG sometime in the 90's, but I phoned them immediately and they banned him.

STEVE

Jeff

Well my goodness...

Secantur/Steve,

Please PM me asap. You might not realize that I have the book in the for sale thread until 5pm today, the 4th. Offer, acceptance, contract for sale, right?

We need Richard/MrBedrock to opine once again on ethics here.

We might also need comment from Mark/Esquire on Bona Fide Purchasers.

My goodness, I thought I was just selling a 3K+ beauty of a funny book for almost half that with a lowball grade and resto discount, purchased from Kaiser Soze, I mean weiserkurier, or something...

And yes, it is late, 2 year old is ill...

Thanks!

Tupenny,

First of all, I must say very nice book. I am sorry to see your undisclosed restoration, I myself have fallen victim to this kind of fraud more than I care to admit. Its appears as though our board members accurately described the issues on your book, and that includes grade. My guess is the book lies around the 7.0 mark with slight amature restoration, which is less desirable of the two. Pro vs. Amature, anyways if the ebay win is actually your book, I would think you could come close to getting your money back via disclosed sale, maybe not all, but close.

If not, man its a real nice book and you might want to keep it for a few years and let appriciation take care of your arse Fudging the criminal who sold you the book gave out. Its most certainly is one of the nicest Batman covers, and content alone makes it worthy for any collection restoration aside. Good Luck on your sale!

Schommy!

STEVE

Jeff

Yes, I believe it is :( The book looked nicer to a fairly new GA collector all those years ago, as I wouldn't describe it as killer today in its current condition.

Uthe has apparently "sold" this book to other collectors over the years (after having it amateur resto'd to look better, of course).

TupennyConan, I'd leave a negative for him (to get the word out to other collectors) and also notify ebay that he is trafficking in ill-gotten goods. I'm trying to work on an international solution for Mr. Uthe, so any additional evidence/testimony you can provide (in this case, via ebay) would be helpful.

STEVE

Please PM me asap. You might not realize that I have the book in the for sale thread until 5pm today, the 4th.

I did see it and it's not a problem at all. The book is yours to do with as you please, and I just hope that you can extricate whatever you can out of this all-around dismal situation (I am truly sorry you fell victim to Uthe :mad: )

I originally sold the book because the rusty staples bothered me. I remember the miscut and presentation being the same, yet I do not recall the upper spine ding. I suppose that could have happened during one of Uthe's "adventures" over the years.

STEVE

Secantur/Steve,

We need Richard/MrBedrock to opine once again on ethics here.

Tupenny,

Not sure how I became the arbiter of ethics around here, but I really appreciate the confidence you have in me. As for how to handle this, it looks like you did exactly the right thing by contacting sacentaur and getting his feelings when you realized the history of the Batman 23. Good luck with the book.

The pages are so WHITE all of the way through they hurt my eyes

The book looks like it is new!

Tupenny,

I think it is wise of you to seek our opinions, but I have a question for you....what do YOU think of the book????

It sounds like you are very happy with it, and if that's the case, minor color touch and other resto concerns are a non-issue if you are aware of them, and have accepted them as a component of this book. It has great eye appeal and WHITE pages / you mentioned this several times .......maybe the answer you seek lies within yourself ... hm

I bought a rare copy of The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis #1 last month, and proudly posted some pics on the Boards...you could hear a pin drop...it was like I posted an image of my new trash can. My point is, I didn't care at all, because I was happy with the book and still am. Perhaps you could be happy as well.........

Steve

pons' trash can has received plenty of love over the past year or so steve, maybe yours is as good--post that bad boy.

Must have been napping that day.I know all these #1 s are tuff.Might I suggest posting it again?

Thanks

D