• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANOTHER QP 10.0 SLIPS THRU....

34 posts in this topic

Good eye Araich......Welcome to QP industries. smirk.gif

So how come the inventor of the "QP" designation doesn't know good QP when he sees it? what.gif

I was blinded by the "perfect" black border along the spine...... cloud9.gif

Don't worry Bug......I'll grade your books much stricter. tonofbricks.gif

Just in case you hadn't noticed, all this QP business means nothing to anyone but you. crazy.gif

Grading is a tricky enough subject already, stop confusing the newbies...and everyone else. 893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

Yeah, as a confused newbie I feel obligated to ask, "WTF is QP?"

Just in case you hadn't noticed, all this QP business means nothing to anyone but you. crazy.gif

Grading is a tricky enough subject already, stop confusing the newbies...and everyone else. 893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

If you don't like Beyonder's positive attempt to add to or clarify the grading standard, then I hope to never see ANY negative commentary from you about how CGC's or Overstreet's grading standards are problematic. blush.gif He's only trying to help!! frown.gifshocked.gifsmile.gifacclaim.gif

If you don't like Beyonder's positive attempt to add to or clarify the grading standard, then I hope to never see ANY negative commentary from you about how CGC's or Overstreet's grading standards are problematic. blush.gif He's only trying to help!! frown.gifshocked.gifsmile.gifacclaim.gif

Perhaps I should re-hash my ages-old proposal for a 3-tier grading scheme, or the suggestion of of incorporating NGC's "star" rating system for comics? The bottom line is that I agree with the concep of QP - it would be real nice to have a separate measure of the eye appeal of a book.

In addition to centering/cut/staple placement as mentioned, cover color intensity/registration and cover gloss are all big part of eye appeal. Unfortunately, color intensity (and gloss?) can vary within a run, and needs to be measured in the current state, not just "at the time of production" as it can degrade over time. In addition, common production-related defects like bindery tears/chips, inks spots (or missing ink), and printer's creases also need to be considered in assigning the level of eye appeal of a book. While OS and/or CGC may not deduct points for tiny bindery tears or printer's creases, I know that I'd choose a copy without any of these defects over an otherwise identical copy that had them.

I remember your star rating system suggestion...what's your idea for a 3-tier grading scheme?

The 3 basic tiers are the 3 attributes of a book I think contribute to it's desirability - the physical condition of the book (includes cover/page tears, creases, stains, bindery tears, printers creases, etc.,), the quality of the pages (page whiteness), and the overall eye appeal (centering, gloss, color intensity/registration, etc.,.).

I presented a paper several years ago titled Evaluation of the Data Attribute Rating System (DARS) as a Method of Characterizing Uncertainty in Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories which in essence, assigned a reliability rating/index to 4 distinct attributes of an estimate of greenhouse gas releases, and weighed each one to derive an overall score (grade). This is an important b/c under various international agreements, countries can trade emissions of greenhouse gases with each other, but the more developed countries are skeptical that "100 tons of CO2" as calculated by the US, for example, is the same as "100 tons of CO2" as calculated by less-developed countries.

As applied to comic-book grading, the point is that it's easier to approach the problem if you look at each attribute separately, after which they could be weighted to come up with a single grade (for example, 50% cover, 25% pages, 25% eye appeal). While it might be tough to agree on the % weighting scheme for each attribute, the individual attribute grades would be maintained so that buyers can pick their poison (eye appeal over page quality for example). More information is usually better information!!

If you don't like Beyonder's positive attempt to add to or clarify the grading standard, then I hope to never see ANY negative commentary from you about how CGC's or Overstreet's grading standards are problematic.

Well that told me. blush.gif

My post was partly meant in just...I DO appreciate where the beyonder is coming from on this issue. As you well know FF I am as much against CGC's lack of consideration in the overall grade for production defects as anyone. All positive suggestions for improvements are most welcome.

Having said that, the beyonder bandies about his QP statements all over the boards with no clarification for anyone that doesn't understand it. As solar also mentioned, it is very confusing.

" the beyonder bandies about his QP statements all over the boards with no clarification for anyone that doesn't understand it. As solar also mentioned, it is very confusing. "

All anyone ever had to do was ASK . confused-smiley-013.gif

Your comments about " confusing newbie's ".......sounds similar to the argument behind " removing minus signs " from CGC's new label. tongue.gif

Anyone that read my 1st post in "THE QP IS WHITE.....WHAT"S THE QP?" thread, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

As applied to comic-book grading, the point is that it's easier to approach the problem if you look at each attribute separately, after which they could be weighted to come up with a single grade (for example, 50% cover, 25% pages, 25% eye appeal). While it might be tough to agree on the % weighting scheme for each attribute, the individual attribute grades would be maintained so that buyers can pick their poison (eye appeal over page quality for example). More information is usually better information!!

Ah, yea, I definitely agree with that, although I'd prefer to generalize your second tier from assigning a grade to page whiteness to assigning a grade to the entire interior.

I thought that QP was kinda cool BECAUSE of it's similarity to PQ confused-smiley-013.gif

Others may agree with you. That's was just my take on the matter. Why don't you start a poll and see if what everyone thinks? Maybe offer a choice of QP and one or two others that you could come up with and let people vote. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif