• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To tape or not to tape

13 posts in this topic

-As a few of you might remember, I'm in the process of bagging and boarding my building collection of The Numismatist. The local comic book dealer suggested that I go with boxing them in a comic book box. I'm in the process of doing it now. My question is."Should I be taping the bags?" On one hand, I want them to stay safe from the elements(dust, air, ect..). On the other hand, I will be using these as reference tools, so it might be pointless taping them, and dangerous.(I am thinking of trying to take coins out of a 2x2 holder, without the coins hitting the staples.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. CHRIS

If they are being shipped or being put away for a while, I just fold the flap over on the outside and stick it with 1 piece of Scotch Magic Tape. If I'm still reading them or think I'll take them out soon, I don't tape. I have caught the cover of a couple of books on the tape when taking them out of the bag.

The tape quality is important. After a few years a lot of cheap tapes turn gooey or yellow. It may actually lead to some damage. Haven't had a problem with Magic Tape left on for 20 years. Magic tape also won't leave a residue on a book cover if you accidentally get it (lightly) stuck on a cover.

I also fold the flap over on the outside. I used to tuck it in neatly behind the backer board inside the bag - then put a single piece of tape on the top. Made it neat, but I found out the hard way it doesn't provide as much protection from water damage as just folding the flap over the outside. My (now dead) cat peed on top of an open box of books. The kitty pee ran right down inside the bags with the flaps tucked in, but just rolled off the ones with the flaps on the outside. (No I didn't kill the cat, much as I was tempted to. He lived to a ripe old age of 19 before passing on.)

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I couldn't get back sooner but I fell asleep! I am using Ultra Pro Comic Series Current Size Comic Bags. I was going to use a type of bag that was Chemically protected by my local comic book dealer talked me out of it saying it was a waist of money. CHRIS

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I couldn't get back sooner but I fell asleep! I am using Ultra Pro Comic Series Current Size Comic Bags. I was going to use a type of bag that was Chemically protected by my local comic book dealer talked me out of it saying it was a waist of money. CHRIS

How long are you planning to keep the books you're going to be putting in these bags? If your answer is "less than five years," then your local comic book dealer is right. If the answer is "more than ten years," then your local comic book dealer is pretty much like most other local comic book dealers and doesn't fully appreciate the complexity of the issue he's offering an opinion on.

If your answer is "less than five years," then your local comic book dealer is right. If the answer is "more than ten years," then your local comic book dealer is pretty much like most other local comic book dealers and doesn't fully appreciate the complexity of the issue he's offering an opinion on.

What if his answer is five to ten years? confused.gif

My (now dead) cat peed on top of an open box of books. The kitty pee ran right down inside the bags with the flaps tucked in, but just rolled off the ones with the flaps on the outside. (No I didn't kill the cat, much as I was tempted to. He lived to a ripe old age of 19 before passing on.)

And here I thought I was going to have PETA come and confiscate your entire comic collection...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well, if you aren't concerned with really long term (5 or 6 or so plus years) then go with, as others have suggested, just a single centered piece of tape. If you feel the books have long-term value you may want to look into the cheapest archival bags you can find for the mag size and still use a single piece of tape.

My (now dead) cat peed on top of an open box of books. The kitty pee ran right down inside the bags with the flaps tucked in, but just rolled off the ones with the flaps on the outside. (No I didn't kill the cat, much as I was tempted to. He lived to a ripe old age of 19 before passing on.)

And here I thought I was going to have PETA come and confiscate your entire comic collection...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) grin.gif