• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the least expensive Marvel title to collect?

49 posts in this topic

Late 60's title but i'm thinking Iron man.

Definitley, unless you include the TOS run as part of it.

After that, gotta be Daredevil.

or would Captain America be next, with the same question about ToS? The first 5 or so DDs aren't cheap.

Would Incredible Hulk have to include 1-6? Except for overpriced 181, those tend to be reasonable except in high grades.

Not a long enough run for the original question, but Strange Tales are probably the most underpriced Silver Age Marvel hero books.

Jack

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spiderman. Over 250 issues.

Sounds great, except, of course, for meeting the started in the 1960s and over-300 criteria set forth in the first post.

Details ... details ... why don't you contribute instead :baiting:

It took me a long time to fine a nice #2 Sgt. Fury and the one i did find was not cheap. The #13 also was not cheap. When you say cheap, i think of the Peter Parker run. That was one of the first back issues i collected when i was younger. Also saw the posters name "spidercrazy" and figured he would like that one. But least expensive 60s would be Iron Man....before the movie hype of course.

Sgt. Fury can be had dirt cheap as well. In any grade, save HG, they are abundant and abundantly cheap.

Even in HG, they`re abundantly cheap, with the sole exception of #1.

captain america, even starting with his first first appearance in TOS is not absurdly expensive to put together. maybe even cheaper than putting together a DD run.

iron man is too expensive because of TOS 39 and subsequent early issues. A low grade TOS 39 is still going to run you $500+, whereas a low grade DD 1 will be less than half that or so. cap's start in TOS 58 is relatively cheap. there's a copy up right now in ebay stores that doesn't look that bad for $15. If you consider that the first issue in the run, starting off with a $15-50 book is a pretty cheap way to go! ($50 will get you an ok looking copy)

Conan just barely misses the 1960's cut-off and the 300 issue minimum (275 issues), but that's a pretty inexpensive one to put together as well. Heck, it's over 400 issues if you include Savage Sword in there and would still be cheap!

Thor, when the JIM books are included, is way expensive!

Late 60's title but i'm thinking Iron man.

Definitley, unless you include the TOS run as part of it.

After that, gotta be Daredevil.

or would Captain America be next, with the same question about ToS? The first 5 or so DDs aren't cheap.

Would Incredible Hulk have to include 1-6? Except for overpriced 181, those tend to be reasonable except in high grades.

Not a long enough run for the original question, but Strange Tales are probably the most underpriced Silver Age Marvel hero books.

Jack

Nothing reasonable about high grade silver age Hulk books.

captain america, even starting with his first first appearance in TOS is not absurdly expensive to put together. maybe even cheaper than putting together a DD run.

iron man is too expensive because of TOS 39 and subsequent early issues. A low grade TOS 39 is still going to run you $500+, whereas a low grade DD 1 will be less than half that or so. cap's start in TOS 58 is relatively cheap. there's a copy up right now in ebay stores that doesn't look that bad for $15. If you consider that the first issue in the run, starting off with a $15-50 book is a pretty cheap way to go! ($50 will get you an ok looking copy)

I've managed to put together a Cap run up through the Kirby run in the 220s easily, between childhood books stashed away and back-issue purchases here and there (except for ToS 61. Why don't I have ToS 61? Is there something special about it? No notation in Overstreet.) That stupid Strange Tales 114 pseudo-appearance will set you back at least as much as Cap's first ToS appearance. On the other hand, Daredevil 1 and 5 continue to elude me, and I may never cough up what most sellers want for a DD 1.

So I'd say that Cap is easier.

Jack

If you can get past the nosebleed prices of Daredevil 7 in HG, that has to be the cheapest. I think you can get a #1 for $1000 and other than issue 7 there really aren't any keys until the Miller run which is so common, only the 9.8's command any real prices.

Oh yeah I forgot about Bullseye, whatever.

Problem is, you have to read the early 70's dreck.

It took me a long time to fine a nice #2 Sgt. Fury and the one i did find was not cheap. The #13 also was not cheap. When you say cheap, i think of the Peter Parker run. That was one of the first back issues i collected when i was younger. Also saw the posters name "spidercrazy" and figured he would like that one. But least expensive 60s would be Iron Man....before the movie hype of course.

Sgt. Fury can be had dirt cheap as well. In any grade, save HG, they are abundant and abundantly cheap.

Even in HG, they`re abundantly cheap, with the sole exception of #1.

I would agree that Sgt. Fury is a cheap collection --- it is also a very good book and well worth pursuing.

My 12¢

Dennis

Of all the long-lived Marvel titles (300 issues or more) starting in the 1960's, which one is the least expensive to get a complete collection of? My guess is Daredevil, but I could be wrong...

Millie? hm

Of all the long-lived Marvel titles (300 issues or more) starting in the 1960's, which one is the least expensive to get a complete collection of? My guess is Daredevil, but I could be wrong...

Millie? hm

HAH!

Ask the Millie collectors how easy that is.

Was it Millie the Model #2 that Flying Donut hunted for years and paid dearly for?

(plus it started in 1945 and only ran up to #207)

Jack