• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the least expensive Marvel title to collect?

49 posts in this topic

Of all the long-lived Marvel titles (300 issues or more)

300 issues gets you way out of the SA. lol

Cheapest Super-Hero SA Run to Complete that went at least a 100 issues:

Strange Tales 101 - 168

Doc Strange 169 - 183

Nick Fury 1 - 18

These should count as one group because the title split after 168 and went on for 15 - 18 months.

Nothing else compares besides Sgt. Fury which shouldn't count despite a Capt America appearance and a brief Reed Richards appearance.

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spiderman. Over 250 issues.

Sounds great, except, of course, for meeting the started in the 1960s and over-300 criteria set forth in the first post.

Details ... details ... why don't you contribute instead :baiting:

Okay, okay.

Looking at this from a HG collector's perspective, I think it'd be Captain America in a cakewalk, even if you take it back to TOS 58. Even if you collected only issues in 9.4 or above, I don't think there's any issue in the entire run that would run you over $2000 (although to be honest, I haven't tracked the price of a 9.4 TOS 58 or 59 lately), and most of the issues would be pretty cheap.

Ironman would be extremely expensive because of TOS 39 and all the TOS issues below 60. DD would be extremely expensive because of the 1-10, particularly 1 and 7. Strange Tales because of the early issues plus 110. Sgt. Fury would be very expensive because of 1-10, primarily 1-3, and 13. #1 in particular is a $20K book in 9.4.

The thing I've realized from selling some big chunks of my collection over the years is that to value a collection you mostly just have to price the keys, as they make up such a big percentage of the value, and the value of the rest of the books just falls into line. The thing about Captain America, compared to just about every other SA Marvel title, is there are no major expensive keys that even come close to the $10K mark.

because of the no first appearances of Cap or major characters except hawkeye etc.

Hawkeye appeared before TOS 58. :gossip: But otherwise, you're absolutely correct.

Oh yeah I forgot. It's been awhile. I had just picked up #64. The return of hawkeye and got mixed up.

Sounds great, except, of course, for meeting the started in the 1960s and over-300 criteria set forth in the first post.

Okay, okay.

Looking at this from a HG collector's perspective, I think it'd be Captain America in a cakewalk, even if you take it back to TOS 58. Even if you collected only issues in 9.4 or above, I don't think there's any issue in the entire run that would run you over $2000 (although to be honest, I haven't tracked the price of a 9.4 TOS 58 or 59 lately), and most of the issues would be pretty cheap.

Ironman would be extremely expensive because of TOS 39 and all the TOS issues below 60. DD would be extremely expensive because of the 1-10, particularly 1 and 7. Strange Tales because of the early issues plus 110. Sgt. Fury would be very expensive because of 1-10, primarily 1-3, and 13. #1 in particular is a $20K book in 9.4.

The thing I've realized from selling some big chunks of my collection over the years is that to value a collection you mostly just have to price the keys, as they make up such a big percentage of the value, and the value of the rest of the books just falls into line. The thing about Captain America, compared to just about every other SA Marvel title, is there are no major expensive keys that even come close to the $10K mark.

:applause: That's better. You're not the first person to mention Cap in the thread and I believe that you and the others are correct. It seems Cap is under-collected because 1) as mentioned, no key new character appearance or cross-over and, really, 2) few to no classic story-line I can remember in those SA days.

Okay, okay.

And as greggy jeered at me one day, Caps are as common as fleas on a dogs...

yeah, those not near so much in UHG. But honestly, how easy are any late silver, early bronze to find in 9.8 :whrug:

his jeering was in reference to me wanting 9.4 Caps from 100-up. those ARE common as flees

That`s why I have to ratchet the bar up to 9.8 to make it semi-challenging. ;) Actually, the part that makes it really challenging is the nicely centered requirement. I don`t know WHAT happened to the printing process in the 1970s, but both of the Big 2 seemed to have lost all concept of quality control.

i can't believe that POS reprint title went 291 issues! Even though it was 1994, I wonder if the last few issues are HTF? I don't even remember it being on the racks back then.

Defenders is inexpensive, true, but doesn't meet the 1960s or 300 issue challenge. We could toss in Marvel Team-UP, Power Man/If and Master of Kung Fu as cheap 100+ issue runs if we ignore that.

The Sub-Mariner series that went to 75 or so is pretty cheap isn't it?

:mad:

I guess I made a mistake, sorry about that. I guess Sub-Mariner is considered bronze age. Please forgive a silver newb. I grew up in the copper/modern age :(

The first S.A. Marvel run that I completed, I pursued because of price. It was Strange Tales 101 to 168. I found a lower grade copy of 101 at a local comic store, reasonably priced, and knew that the rest could be time consuming but that I could afford them. The only other one in the batch that was costly was 110, and even that didn't set me back much.