• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many people do you know have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better?

How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?

105 posts in this topic

How many MH2 9.4+ copies of Hulk 181 have surfaced (does CGC even acknowledge MH2 on the label)? There would be high census numbers for Hulk 181 regardless of whether or not it was a MH2 book.

I noticed that the MH2 list also had most of the Marvel 25-cent Giants (Thor 193, Hulk 145, Subby 43, etc.,.), but as we all know, these books are very hard to find in grade!

How many MH2 9.4+ copies of Hulk 181 have surfaced (does CGC even acknowledge MH2 on the label)? There would be high census numbers for Hulk 181 regardless of whether or not it was a MH2 book.

I definitely agree, as Hulk 181 (and GS X-men 1/X-men 94) was really the first key issue I remember seeing from the Bronze Age. I remember Con hawkers around 1980 pawning off large stacks of these books at $30 a pop. It seemed like everyone had a pile, and were trying to make their profits.

The prime copnsideration to any comic staying in top grade is the difference between its print date and the time it was recognized as a Key. The ink barely had time to dry before Hulk 181 was recognized, so there has to be a ton out there, at least IMHO.

I noticed that the MH2 list also had most of the Marvel 25-cent Giants (Thor 193, Hulk 145, Subby 43, etc.,.), but as we all know, these books are very hard to find in grade!

Sure, but these weren't all that valuable up until the 1990's and I myself have bought "commons" through mail order and didn't take anywhere near the care I took with my Keys. There also weren't many people speculating on CA 143 and hoarding stacks of them, like Hulk 181, GS X-Men and X-men 94.

Now before we get back to the "Hulk 181 hoarding" exercise, although I have seen tons of this issue in NM-NM+ at 1980's Cons, and people buying vast multiples, there is no way to track them today, or confirm whether they have been sent to CGC, sold raw in the 90's, or are still sitting in collections.

I agree, but we do know that Hulk 180, 181 and 182 were part of the MH2 collection, and that these issues were available in huge quantities.

What does HUGE QUANTITIES mean (10s, 100s, 1,000s)? How many copies of Hulk #181 were in MH2 regardless of grade? I looked back through my old comics and the Mile High price lists I found say that prices are for VG-VF grades. I think you would have had to inquire about higher grades for a price.

What does HUGE QUANTITIES mean (10s, 100s, 1,000s)? How many copies of Hulk #181 were in MH2 regardless of grade? I looked back through my old comics and the Mile High price lists I found say that prices are for VG-VF grades. I think you would have had to inquire about higher grades for a price.

Man, I hate it when people talk out of their butt.

I POSTED the image for the initial MH2 collection ad, and it stated NM/M Condition Guaranteed, and that issues were in large quantities, and dealer inquiries were welcome. These were the major hoarde issues, and ones that were not subject to storage damage.

It was only AFTER this ad ran, and Chuck also blew off a load of MH2 issues through his catalogue, that the mention of lower grades was even mentioned. Also, if your eagle-eyed little head can look close enough, these later ads also stated "95% of these Comics in NM/M".

It's becoming quite obvious you have several alterior motives and would disagree with me if I brought over a longbox of Hulk 181 NM copies for you to view.

"But how many others are there" screams MMMarvel.

It's becoming quite obvious you have several alterior motives and would disagree with me if I brought over a longbox of Hulk 181 NM copies for you to view.

"But how many others are there" screams MMMarvel.

No need to bring the box over for my view. Just post a pic on this thread and that will shut me up. Ask one of the many friends you know with long boxes full of HG copies of Hulk #181 to take a pic for you so you can post it. If you can't, then it would be you who are talking out your butt, not me. makepoint.gif Prove me wrong, if you can.

You also refuse to define HUGE QUANTITIES or LARGE QUANTITIES. Enlighten us, would you?

I agree, but we do know that Hulk 180, 181 and 182 were part of the MH2 collection, and that these issues were available in huge quantities.

Just using the current census there are 543 between 9.0 and 9.9 and 722 between 8.5 and 9.9. I used 8.5 (VF+) as the startiung point for the second set of numbers as you had speified "VG-VF" as your example of not HG. I'd say 2-3+ long boxes just in current census submissions.

Just using the current census there are 543 between 9.0 and 9.9 and 722 between 8.5 and 9.9. I used 8.5 (VF+) as the startiung point for the second set of numbers as you had speified "VG-VF" as your example of not HG. I'd say 2-3+ long boxes just in current census submissions.

Those are the known Hulk #181s. Also, keep in mind that with the Hulk and X-men movies that have come out in the past few years most people that would have wanted to submit their Hulk 181s to CGC so they could sell for profit would have already done so in my opinion. The numbers just don't support the claim of 1,000s if not 10,000+ copies in CGC 9.4 and above by some by some people in these forums. Now if someone posts a picture of a long box of HG Hulk 181s (or even mid-grade) I would immediately become a believer.

Yo pinhead, where's your proof that Hulk 181 is rare?

The CGC Census is extremely high, I've posted verified proof that the MH2 collection featured Hulk 180-182 and that Chuck has "large quantities" of the issues in NM/M condition (and yes, the MH2 contained mostly NM copies - only later did Chuck get into the damaged boxes) and was taking quantity dealer inquiries. I myself have seen first-hand many dealer hoardes and literally cases of the issue for sale during the 1980's and 1990's.

What do you offer as proof that the above statements are incorrect and that Hulk 181 is rare in NM? Nothing but hot air.

Yo pinhead, where's your proof that Hulk 181 is rare?

Yo numbskull, look at the current CGC report on Hulk 181. If there were large quantities as you suggest (If I remember correctly you said you voted that there were between 6k-10k 9.4 and better copies of Hulk #181) then it would be represented there. There would be a pattern. There would also be a lot more people than YOU in this forum that knows anyone with a "large quantity" of HG Hulk 181s. To me it is just like proving whether or not Saddam or Bin Laden are still alive. All they would have to do to prove they are alive is to take a pic with today's paper in their hands. All you or anybody else has to do to prove there are "large quantities" of Hulk 181s is to take a pic of one of the hoarded stashes you say exist. Obviously, since I don't think they exist I can't take a pic. However, picture a room that is just big enough to fit the 200,000 print run of Hulk #181 inside it. Now put all known CGC graded copies in that room. Room is still pretty empty isn't it. Case closed.

The CGC Census is extremely high,

Actually, it is extremely low especially considering you and others think there could be over 10,000k 9.4s and above out there. Even with all the movie hype less than 200 have been CGC'd.

I've posted verified proof that the MH2 collection featured Hulk 180-182 and that Chuck has "large quantities" of the issues in NM/M condition (and yes, the MH2 contained mostly NM copies - only later did Chuck get into the damaged boxes) and was taking quantity dealer inquiries. I myself have seen first-hand many dealer hoardes and literally cases of the issue for sale during the 1980's and 1990's.

Unless you can define "large quantities" and show proof of said "large quantities" I don't know why you continue to use the term.

What do you offer as proof that the above statements are incorrect and that Hulk 181 is rare in NM? Nothing but hot air.

Nothing, but logic and common sense which escapes people who don't use logic and don't have any common sense.

Nothing, but logic and common sense which escapes people who don't use logic and don't have any common sense.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

How many suns are their in your world?

You have ZERO proof, nada, zilch, and to argue as you do suggests you bought some Hulk 181 CGC copies as investment are are scared shatless.

Good luck putting your kids through school with those. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

How many suns are their in your world?

You have ZERO proof, nada, zilch, and to argue as you do suggests you bought some Hulk 181 CGC copies as investment are are scared shatless.

Good luck putting your kids through school with those. 27_laughing.gif

Folks, please look at above post for example of a person without any logic or common sense who can't prove his point or even define his own terms. He manufactures false proof based on nothing to support his claim, but actually only proves that he knows nothing about the subject at hand.

It's obvious you're a newbie speculator eager to prove to the world that THE most common Bronze Age comic is actually quite rare in grade. Anyone who has been involved with comics long-term knows the deal with Hulk 181, and many have stated just that in this thread.

So I'll leave you to your fantasies and halt this conversation, as it's clear no one else is willing to give you the time of day. By answering I give you an opportunity to spout hot air without a single shred of proof supporting your claim.

I bet you carried the water bottle for your HS debating team, right?

Oh, and have fun living in your Alternate Universe where Hulk 181 is an ultra-rare comic book. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

It's obvious you're a newbie speculator eager to prove to the world that THE most common Bronze Age comic is actually quite rare in grade. Anyone who has been involved with comics long-term knows the deal with Hulk 181, and many have stated just that in this thread.

So I'll leave you to your fantasies and halt this conversation, as it's clear no one else is willing to give you the time of day. By answering I give you an opportunity to spout hot air without a single shred of proof supporting your claim.

I bet you carried the water bottle for your HS debating team, right?

Oh, and have fun living in your Alternate Universe where Hulk 181 is an ultra-rare comic book. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

It is obvious that you are a disgruntled speculator that neglected to buy any Hulk 181s when they were cheap and are envious of those that did. You feel such pain and guilt that the only way you can feel good about yourself now is to say that Hulk 181 is so common in HG that eventually the price will correct itself so you might be able to get your hands on some.

Anyhow, If they are so common why don't I see any copies on the wall for sell in comic book stores like Midtown comics? You would think they would have at least 1 or 2 copies available at all times after all this is as good as it gets and they should make a profit before the bottom falls out like you predict. They are in the business to make maximum profit are they not? I give you facts and all you give are mythological stories about hidden stashes of "large quantities."

There would also be a lot more people than YOU in this forum that knows anyone with a "large quantity" of HG Hulk 181s.

I think you would be surprised to learn just how many people here know of large HG quantities of Hulk #181. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The fact that they are not shouting it from the rooftops does not mean it is not so.

There would also be a lot more people than YOU in this forum that knows anyone with a "large quantity" of HG Hulk 181s.

I think you would be surprised to learn just how many people here know of large HG quantities of Hulk #181. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The fact that they are not shouting it from the rooftops does not mean it is not so.

It remains to be proven. The silence is deafening. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MMM - I for one do not have a stash of 10+ copies of Hulk 181 but if I did, why would I tell you? I have nothing to gain and everything to lose, ie if people knew I had a stash, wouldn't the price decline a bit?

DAM

MMM - I for one do not have a stash of 10+ copies of Hulk 181 but if I did, why would I tell you? I have nothing to gain and everything to lose, ie if people knew I had a stash, wouldn't the price decline a bit?

DAM

Well, if you were a rich person and the value of comics meant nothing to you as some people in this forum claim it wouldn't matter whether or not you let people know you had a stash. JCs whole argument is that the people who have hoarded "large quantities" of Hulk 181 don't care because they have much more valuable GA and SA comics in their collection. JC said he has absolutely no idea what the value of his own collection would be. He collects what he likes and value doesn't matter. That being the case... PROVE IT! Take a pic of your stash of Hulk 181s or have your many friends take a pic of theirs so we can see it. This debate can be over very easily and I will stfu. sumo.gif

I saw a short box about 3 quarters full at Wonder Con less than 10 years ago does that count as anything? If I remember it was not owned by a dealer but by a horder going around from dealer to dealer selling them off. I remember they were picking off the higher grade copies.confused-smiley-013.gif

If I remember correctly the copies were mostly above F/VF going up to around NM–. By the end of the show most of the higher grade books had been picked off 893scratchchin-thumb.gif