• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Honus Wagner 1909 baseball card sold for record $2.8 million

44 posts in this topic

I had the pleasure of seeing the awesome display of Wagners in 2004 at the National Show. The trimming wouldn't bother me. But, they should have left it in the uncut sheet.

What happened to the rest of the Wagners in the sheet that the Gretzky card was cut from?

Cards are generally printed such that the entire set, or part of it, prints on a sheet as opposed to the sheet being devoted to multiple instances of a single image.

Anyone know what the most valuable sale of items in other collectibles is? I.E. coins, paper money, paintings, OA, stamps, action figures, books, etc.

I would imagine the most collectible item on the planet would be the Mona Lisa.

Coin - 1933 St. Gaudens Double-Eagle $7.59 million at Sotheby's in 2002.

Stamp - 1868 one cent "Z grill" - $2.97 million in 2005 (trade deal for a block of 4 recently purchased Inverted Jenny stamps). The 1857 Swedish Treskilling Yellow last sold for $2.2 million in 1996 and would sell for more than the Z grill today if it came to market.

Painting - Boy with a pipe by Picasso - $104 million at Sotheby's is the highest realized at a major auction house. A Klimt painting of Adele Bloch-Bauer was purchased by Ronald Lauder on behalf of the Neue Galerie for $135 million in a private sale. David Geffen reportedly sold a Jackson Pollock in a private sale for about $140 million and a Willem de Kooning for almost that much (i.e., you gotta be :censored: :censored: me).

Comic Book OA - The Batman #11 cover sold at Heritage for $195,500 in 2005. The TMNT #1 OA was sold for $250K but I don't know of any single page selling in an all-cash deal for more than the Batman #11.

There are a couple of coins that would probably sell for more than that, but I don't think they will see the auction block. Interesting stuff.

That book, btw, is tremendous, just tremndous.

I had the pleasure of seeing the awesome display of Wagners in 2004 at the National Show. The trimming wouldn't bother me. But, they should have left it in the uncut sheet.

What happened to the rest of the Wagners in the sheet that the Gretzky card was cut from?

Cards are generally printed such that the entire set, or part of it, prints on a sheet as opposed to the sheet being devoted to multiple instances of a single image.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

So what happened to the rest of the 1909 cards that were in the sheet that the Gretzky Wagner card was cut from?

All true...I read about how it was discovered and reportedly cut in this book:

9780061439117.jpg

Great book on big-time collecting, dealer influences and collector passions-- the inside account of the legendary Honus Wagner card.

GE

Great Caesar's Ghost, I just finished reading this book tonight. Any thoughts I may have still harbored about one day buying some big-ticket, super high grade cards just went out the window but for good. It sounds like money has totally corrupted the hobby (which, based on the figures they cite in the book, is on a terminal downward spiral; don't let the high prices for the super high grade slabbed cards fool you) and that undisclosed/undetected resto has been rampant for years. Reading this book made me sick to my stomach. :sick:

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it.