• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Biggets Eyesore In Your Collection?

27 posts in this topic

....And why is it still there?

I ask this question because I've sold some real hurtin' issues on ebay and I wonder what's the lowest someone will go to have an original in their collection. For example, I sold a Daredevil #1 that was torn almost completely in half from the top down, but someone had taped each page back together again years ago - truly f'ugly.

My own example is eight interior wraps of Captain America #1, no cover, missing entire first story, plus centerfold pages, etc. I keep it because it's still SOME of CAP #1 and that's good enough for me for now.

I had a stack of "incompletes"... most were 1940s Marvel...

but they were missing covers, outer wraps, inner wraps...

They were brown enough to be brittle, but the humidity here kept

them nice & flimsy. When my wife threatened to throw them out because

I took too long trying to decide how to store them... I sold them to another

collector who loves those incomplete old books. She wanted to toss them,

but I got $50. I think I changed her mind about touching (or tossing) comics

from that point on.

Today, I have the beautiful solid black cardstock cover issue of Solar Man of the Atom #10, first print.

A decade ago, in NM condition it would have been $75 easily, today $15.

This one looks like it was left out in the rain and then dried all warped...

I keep it around because it's still a nice reader with some great BWS art. grin.gif

I've got a run of Congo Bill where the best of the books might get a 0.5,if the grader was generous.But the main stories are complete and few people have an entire run.

I've got a DD2 with no BC and a coverless,first wrap missing Action or Superman that dates from WW11.

And to complete the mess I have a pisspoor copy of Classics 43,has to be a first print as they never did any others. A JLA 3 with no cover or centerfold and an action

with an early Legion story but little else.

I have an Incredible Hulk #127 and an X-Man (yeech) #46 that are both beat to hell and back. They are truly ugly....covers pulled and torn....centerfolds detached.....written on.....page quality tan.....

But I love them both as they are the only remaining books from my collection as a kid. I found them in a box at my parents place.....the rest of my collection had long been disposed of at the tip.

For that reason alone....there is no price that would make me part with them.

I've got a run of Congo Bill where the best of the books might get a 0.5,if the grader was generous.But the main stories are complete and few people have an entire run.

I have rarely seen Congo Bill in high grade, in fact , there have been only 4 books graded and none higher then a 5.0 for the first issue. I happen to have issue one that might pull a 6.0 or better. They seem truly rare in high grade.

Tom

I have an Incredible Hulk #127 and an X-Man (yeech) #46 that are both beat to hell and back. They are truly ugly....covers pulled and torn....centerfolds detached.....written on.....page quality tan.....

But I love them both as they are the only remaining books from my collection as a kid. I found them in a box at my parents place.....the rest of my collection had long been disposed of at the tip.

For that reason alone....there is no price that would make me part with them.

I have a long-box of "reader's copies" from my childhood collection at my side right now........ cloud9.gif

Although I have some coverless GA, my onw pick would be an old copy of ASM 121 that I received from a friend. He gave me a big box of comics and when I set my eye on that puppy (already a key issue and pulling in $20 NM back then) I couldn't believe my good fortune.

It was especially important because I started picking up ASM during the Clone Saga, which used Gwen's death as a critical story-point, dragged out her clone, and mentioned her death about a zillion times.

It was finally nice to read the issue in question and I still own it, ratty and all.

My oldest original bought off-the-rack comic that I still have in my collection is an Adventure #381.....it only has the left bottom quarter of the front cover, and the back cover has writing on it ( I was trying to add up how many weeks of my 15 cent allowance it would take to purchase the army soldiers advertised on the back for $1.95)....It was from June 1969 and I just finished 1st grade, but my mom had to read it to me cause my lousy school taught frickin EBONICS (ITA) in first grade and real english made no sense to me.

J.D.

A coverless,brittle, and tanned copy of Tales of Suspense #40. The story is complete and since I'm an Iron Man freak (and I really don't have much money), it's about as close to my holy grail as I can get (minus reprints).