• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metropolis comics accurate on raw books?

83 posts in this topic

Would you say that the bashing you received from certain individuals had a hand in your change in customer services?

As long as the haughty and arrogant attitude continues to drip down from the top it's very unlikely Trooper, but one never knows.

More likely being left in the dust by the likes of Heritage and ComicLink has forced them to reassess some of their more egregious business practices.

Here are two fairly recent events related to me by high grade Golden Age collectors...

One involved the purchase of an expensive raw book that came back from CGC a full grade lower than Metropolis had graded it. However, the buyer was so relieved that it returned with a blue label instead of purple, he was OK with the purchase.

The second involved a different expensive raw book obtained from Metropolis that was subsequently shown to another experienced collector, who in turn found some irregularities with it. The comic was sent out to a restoration professional who verified the insidious work that had been done on the book. It took him numerous emails, phone calls, and three weeks to get his money back.

Caveat Emptor, indeed....

I bought this raw from Metropolis a couple years ago. They graded it 9.8 on their label if I remember correctly. Anyway, I sent it into CGC and got this piece of kkrap grade back.

Man, was I disappointed.

dardevil26big.jpg

gorgeous!!! love those dd's.

hook, gene drew that cover? with telescoping legs? are they thus "colonoscopic"?

Is it just the scan or is there a color breaking crease on the upper right hand corner?

That was what I was thinking also.

I bought this raw from Metropolis a couple years ago. They graded it 9.8 on their label if I remember correctly. Anyway, I sent it into CGC and got this piece of kkrap grade back.

Man, was I disappointed.

dardevil26big.jpg

hook, gene drew that cover? with telescoping legs? are they thus "colonoscopic"?

Is it just the scan or is there a color breaking crease on the upper right hand corner?

A pair of "intact chips" & it still grades 9.6? Is CGC's opinion of the grade the only opinion that matters to anyone? Sorry, it is a very pretty book but I'm just sayin'.

Does Metro allow you to see the book in person at their HQ. I have heard instances in the past where a potential buyer wanted to see the book in person in NYC, but was not allowed to.

There is a very expensive raw book they have that I will hopefully be buying this month, and I am somewhat concerned. I wonder what reason they have to not have it certified. I am considering flying up there to see the book in person if they allow it. From what I have seen their raw grading is okay, but in the instances of expensive raw books...my biggest concern would be WHY IS IT RAW.

Flights are pretty cheap to NYC KOR.

Now, lets see, which book is he interested in...?

Man, was I disappointed.

dardevil26big.jpg

A pair of "intact chips" & it still grades 9.6? Is CGC's opinion of the grade the only opinion that matters to anyone? Sorry, it is a very pretty book but I'm just sayin'.

Indeed a very beautiful book.But does anyone really think it should have come back 9.8?

Man, was I disappointed.

dardevil26big.jpg

Indeed a very beautiful book.But does anyone really think it should have come back 9.8?

You're kidding right? Anyone who buys a Silver Age 40-year old book that is advertised 9.8 and gets a CGC 9.6 out of the deal is a score all day! Unless you paid some ridiculous amount as a 9.8 I don't know how you could possibly be disappointed...of course, I can't see how anybody would pay crazy money for a raw 9.8 when in all likelihood you would not obtain this grade from CGC I imagine 9 times out of 10 if not 99 out of 100... 2c

lol just looking at the cover was enough to know it is not a 9.8 (shrug) getting a 9.6 is very lucky IMO but shouldnt have metropolis known this as well? Err I dunno about them giving that a 9.8, it sounds like overgrading intentionally and I would buy from them expecting this. I havent read the rest of this thread and I am sure this has been stated already :whistle:

off topic, but i just wanted to add that i've been going back and forth with vincent via PM about an order i made recently (in fact, he started the PM). his responses have been incredibly professional and have given me more incentive to buy from metro. truly great customer service. above all, that's what i look for.

Just received two inexpensive raw Atom Age books from Metro - my first order in a few years.

Both were priced around guide and communication was excellent, shipping quick, and packaging very secure. (thumbs u

One was graded 4.5 - I would say dead on, maybe leaning to 5.0. The other was graded 4.0 - I might give it a 3.5 personally, but certainly acceptable as a 4.0. Grading was in line with my expectations from earlier orders. I wouldn't hesitate to order form Metro without a scan on books of this type ( meaning too inexpensive to warrant the effort), especially as while I've had no reason to return books, they seem to be willing to take them back. Really, the only reason I don't search Metro's offerings more frequently is that I spend too much time searching for bargains on ebay, to regularly check dealer inventories on-line.

Man, was I disappointed.

dardevil26big.jpg

Looks like a 9.0 based on the scan. I can't say that I have ever gotten a book back from CGC with a color breaking corner crease which was graded higher than 9.0. Looks like someone got a break on that grade to me. 9.8....sheesh...

You're kidding right? Anyone who buys a Silver Age 40-year old book that is advertised 9.8 and gets a CGC 9.6 out of the deal is a score all day! Unless you paid some ridiculous amount as a 9.8 I don't know how you could possibly be disappointed...of course, I can't see how anybody would pay crazy money for a raw 9.8 when in all likelihood you would not obtain this grade from CGC I imagine 9 times out of 10 if not 99 out of 100... 2c

if you're quoting the owner of said book - Red Hook - he can't answer as he is on extended sabbatical. but i will say for him that if you thought he was genuinely upset at the 9.6 grade then your sarcasm detector needs new batteries

I have yet to request a scan of a book, front and back, and not received it. Frank is quick and friendly. As a matter of fact, I have in my hands my most recent Metro purchase, still inside the box, as it just arrived by FedEx. I will open it when I get home and post a scan of this bad boy tonight. :cloud9:

Scott

I requested scans of two avengers #7,#11 and they said no.

Heres the reply:

I'm afraid we don't offer scans of books priced under $250. We have nearly 200,000 books in inventory and backstock, with the majority of those books being in that lower price range, and simply don't have the manpower or bandwidth to carry scans of every single book we have in stock. Thus, we have this unfortunate but necessary limitation on the scans we can provide. We do feel that our 10-day no-hassle return policy is ample protection for our customers should they be dissatisfied with grading or condition on those books without scans. I've posted the return policy below, and it's also on our website. If there's anything else I can help with, or any other titles you may be looking for, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for understanding.

I did`nt buy the books, who wants to deal with a return.them saying no to a scan was saying no to my money, if the scans checked out i was going to buy both books. (tsk)

This was probably one of those times when Frank was swamped. If you are still interested or if there are other books you would like to order please email Frank at orders@metropoliscomics.com and he will be more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vinny,

Maybe if Frank is swamped, you need to get off the chat boards and help him out a bit. If you get too busy, you can always refer customers to me. Later.

Dale

This was probably one of those times when Frank was swamped. If you are still interested or if there are other books you would like to order please email Frank at orders@metropoliscomics.com and he will be more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vinny,

Maybe if Frank is swamped, you need to get off the chat boards and help him out a bit. If you get too busy, you can always refer customers to me. Later.

Dale

Oh SNAP! 44616-yougotserved-22974.jpg

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vinny,

Dale

Oh SNAP! 44616-yougotserved-22974.jpg

Please, please, please bring back the snake oil salesman!

I have yet to request a scan of a book, front and back, and not received it. Frank is quick and friendly. As a matter of fact, I have in my hands my most recent Metro purchase, still inside the box, as it just arrived by FedEx. I will open it when I get home and post a scan of this bad boy tonight. :cloud9:

Scott

I requested scans of two avengers #7,#11 and they said no.

Heres the reply:

I'm afraid we don't offer scans of books priced under $250. We have nearly 200,000 books in inventory and backstock, with the majority of those books being in that lower price range, and simply don't have the manpower or bandwidth to carry scans of every single book we have in stock. Thus, we have this unfortunate but necessary limitation on the scans we can provide. We do feel that our 10-day no-hassle return policy is ample protection for our customers should they be dissatisfied with grading or condition on those books without scans. I've posted the return policy below, and it's also on our website. If there's anything else I can help with, or any other titles you may be looking for, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for understanding.

I did`nt buy the books, who wants to deal with a return.them saying no to a scan was saying no to my money, if the scans checked out i was going to buy both books. (tsk)

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vinny,

Dale

While he is at it, maybe he can reply to the email I sent Metro two weeks ago.

Eh, nevermind. I already spent the money with Heritage. Not only do they reply to questions, one of their employees took the time to email me and ask how my bids fared after he spoke to me at SD. That kind of thing goes a LONG way, while ignoring emails is pretty high on my list of annoying things a seller can do.