• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are late 1970's CGC 9.8 comics a good "investment"?

Do you think (non-ASM & X-men) late 1970s CGC 9.8 will be a good financial investment?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think (non-ASM & X-men) late 1970s CGC 9.8 will be a good financial investment?

32 posts in this topic

Actually, it should be 100%. :makepoint:

OK, so there are a few more 9.8's. But I bet there are less 9.8's from the year 1977 left in existance than 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8's combined for the average comic from 1970. And the last time I looked, 9.4s from 1970 got pretty good money.

It's incredibly hard to get a 9.8, I submitted 100+ ASM comics from the late 1980s that all looked perfect mint, and only about 15 were actually judged to be 9.8, it is a very tough standard to achieve. And if its that hard to get 9.8 on late 80's Spidey, its exponentially tougher to get that same 9.8 on the average comic from 1977.

Yes, there are warehouse finds, and I am sure there are tons of 9.0, 9.2 and even 9.4 in those warehouse finds. But 9.8? That is a lot tougher, especially if the warehouse find was made 20 years ago and they have been picked through and handled since then.

Other than the titles in high demand like ASM & X-men, how do people feel about the "investment" quality of 1975 to 1980 bronze comics in CGC 9.8 condition?

Many of these can be bought for less than $100 and there are usually only a few known copies in CGC 9.8. Do you think the market will eventually realize these are scarce in 9.8 and we will see prices drastically increase one day into the $500 to $1000 range on some of this stuff? Or are there simply too many 9.8 copies (or potential 9.8 copies) out there due to warehouse finds of this stuff.

Anything grab your attention from the late 70s?

I don't buy comics as an investment. If they happen to retain their value, great. I buy them because I like collecting.

OK, so there are a few more 9.8's. But I bet there are less 9.8's from the year 1977 left in existance than 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8's combined for the average comic from 1970. And the last time I looked, 9.4s from 1970 got pretty good money.

It's incredibly hard to get a 9.8, I submitted 100+ ASM comics from the late 1980s that all looked perfect mint, and only about 15 were actually judged to be 9.8, it is a very tough standard to achieve. And if its that hard to get 9.8 on late 80's Spidey, its exponentially tougher to get that same 9.8 on the average comic from 1977.

Yes, there are warehouse finds, and I am sure there are tons of 9.0, 9.2 and even 9.4 in those warehouse finds. But 9.8? That is a lot tougher, especially if the warehouse find was made 20 years ago and they have been picked through and handled since then.

Maybe true, but I would just point you to Scheradon`s experience with 9.8 POTA #1 and Invaders #1, which if memory serves were both pre-1977. It`s hard to think of any book from this era as being scarce in any grade (except for 9.9 and 10.0, I guess), and high prices will often result in massive increases in the numbers of copies in grade. Sure there are a few exceptions, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

and Id guess that many of these books are very pressable, because they have little storage dents etc. I guess.

Yes, but I didn`t want to derail this thread. When I pulled out some BA books to submit to CGC, I realized how many BA books I had that were gorgeous except for a few small pressable defects, which if pressed would transform easily from 9.2-9.4 books (often not worth slabbing for BA books) to 9.6s and 9.8s (cha-ching!).

Maybe true, but I would just point you to Scheradon`s experience with 9.8 POTA #1 and Invaders #1, which if memory serves were both pre-1977. It`s hard to think of any book from this era as being scarce in any grade (except for 9.9 and 10.0, I guess), and high prices will often result in massive increases in the numbers of copies in grade. Sure there are a few exceptions, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I think #1 issues were MUCH more likely to be hoarded. Price guides starting in 1970 taught everyone that the #1 issue is where the money is. That is why people started hoarding all #1 issues like Conan, Shazam, POTA, Invaders, Peter Parker, etc.

It is for this reason that the non #1 issues will be much harder to find in 9.8, because people overbought the #1 issues, and stored them carefully. The same cannot be said for non #1 issues.

I think this is what happened on that POTA #1 example - it was just hoarded in such vast quantity because it was a #1 issue.

The short answer is lol , no.

The long answer is, unless the book is one of a very few examples - Turtles 1, Bone 1, Albedo 2, maybe Miracleman 15 - still lol no.

There are piles of high grade Marvels and DCs from 1975 or so on sitting out there. Just piles. As soon as demand pops up (watch Iron Man 116, 118 and 169 next year), a ton more 9.8s will show up.