• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Fantastic Four #60

33 posts in this topic

It is funny that everyone looks at a CGC grade as the final authority on grading, but they will tell you on a resub that the grade will be plus or minus 1 grade from the original grade. So, if anyone is within one grade, they are on the money too.

So very true!!

First, I think CGC is great so I am not putting them down at all. Grading is subjective so it fluctuates some. I think one solution would be to have more grades, 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, because the existing grade for a 9.2, say, is somewhat broad and that is why people argue over their book being a strong 9.2 vs. a weak 9.2, even though they are the same category. If they had an expanded range, the week book could be a 9.1 and the strong a 9.3. CGC would make a fortune in resubs.

In terms of my submission, the grade was a 9.2 and it came back a 9.0. I then resubbed with the original labels and got it back to a 9.2. I thought the book looked like a 9.4 and it had not been graded for 4 years so I had a good chance--so much for the theory that CGC grades a little more liberal now over the older labels. This was all done on a walk-through basis because of the value of the book. Basically, two submissions and a lot of stress, and fees, and I have the same grade. :makepoint: