• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT am I the only one watch the UFC tonight?

173 posts in this topic

Couture is amazing. I agree, you cannot doubt him.

Would love to see Fedor in the UFC. That guy is a beast. Knockout power from the ground. A Couture/Fedor match would be ridiculous.

Always liked Rich Franklin, but he hasn't been great the past two fights I've seen him in. Tito is past his prime, but still as big a draw as the UFC has. Lidell will always be a top dog, but he looked awful against Rampage.

Nate Diaz definitely has great potential. He needs a little more experience, but he'll be at the top of his division at some point. Too bad he's a lightweight.

I'm shcoked that Cro-Kop was back in the ring. I thought his career was over after the Gonzo fight. What his leg did is the most disgusting thing I've seen since Theisman.

Does anyone know when Spike is running a replay of this past weekends fight? I missed it.

Couture has a natural talent for feeling what his opponent wants to do. He has problems with sharp and powerful(usually bigger than him) strikers who can defend takedowns. Couture has trained with BJ Penn here in the islands and has said before that Bj gives him a run for his money rolling on the mats(a light rolling with a heavy here). Gonzaga was overrated just because he got lucky and ko'd Crocop. Crocop has had these lapses before. He was knocked out by Kevin Randleman lol . Arlovski would give Couture fits in my opinion. I would love to see Nog (Nogueira) fight Randy classic match although I'd say Nog by submission. That being said Fedor is the best heavy out there no doubt. Nick Diaz is way better than Nate IMO. I would love either one to kick Parisian's but he is a good fighter. Shogun is 205 lb he may be able to make 185 tho. Dont worry cuz GSP has got some competition rolling with all the Pride 170 pounders. Dennis Kang would be an awesome matchup for GSP. Like I said just enjoy the fights guys! Gonna be a lot of new faces and great matchups if Dana and the boys dont protect their champs like they are known to do.

That being said Fedor is the best heavy out there no doubt.

in PRIDE maybe, but I still think he'd have serious trouble with some of the behemoths of the UFC. Like I said before, weight class is infinitely more important in a cage than in a boxing ring, as the larger guys can physically push you up against the mesh and overwhelm and tire out their opponents.

I think Fedor is barely 6". A huge guy like Kongo or a powerful wrestler like Couture can give these guys nightmares, and they will spend most of the night with their back on the cage. In PRIDE, the huge guys must fight or grapple, rather than dirty box against the cage.

I think it would be a huge mistake for Fedor to join the UFC and then face off against 6'5" 260 lb giants or 6'2" 240 lb world class wrestlers.

That being said Fedor is the best heavy out there no doubt.

in PRIDE maybe, but I still think he'd have serious trouble with some of the behemoths of the UFC. Like I said before, weight class is infinitely more important in a cage than in a boxing ring, as the larger guys can physically push you up against the mesh and overwhelm and tire out their opponents.

I think Fedor is barely 6". A huge guy like Kongo or a powerful wrestler like Couture can give these guys nightmares, and they will spend most of the night with their back on the cage. In PRIDE, the huge guys must fight or grapple, rather than dirty box against the cage.

I think it would be a huge mistake for Fedor to join the UFC and then face off against 6'5" 260 lb giants or 6'2" 240 lb world class wrestlers.

Coleman tried to hold him down for ground and pound and got a nice arm bar for it. The cage will benefit Fedor if anything because he is a ground and pounder. Fedor has knocked out 6'5" guys before. This guy will not have a problem except maybe with a dangerous striker like Arlovski or the now lowly Crocop. He does not fatigue due to training in Russia/siberia he is ultra calm and an intelligent fighter. Can strike with the best. Has an iron chin and even when he gets hurt collects himself quickly. Kongo is not in his league and would get ko'd standing or on ground but most likely submitted. Kongo lost to a nobody(or should have lost) a little while ago. Kongo has slow sloppy stikes with minimal ground knowledge. Again just cuz he beat Crocop doesnt mean a thing. Look at Gonzaga. Crocop is a shot fighter right now and will need time to recoup. If there is 1 thing UFC has not seen it is a Heavy weight who can grapple like a light bb jujitsu guy. Fedor and Nog can both do that. But as they say that is why they fight cuz anything can happen.

Yeah, and Nog got knocked out by Herring and should have lost. It looked like a fixed fight, as he let Nog get up and recover before starting to fight again.

I have yet to see any under-sized, under-weight PRIDE fighter enter the UFC Heavyweight division and have any real success. Fedor could be first, but I doubt it. The cage gives the advantage to the heavier larger fighter, and elbows from those behemoths are tough to handle for someone who's never seen them.

And as for Kongo, he has improved by leaps and bounds since starting to really train in grappling and he was a horrible choice for a comeback fight for Cro Cop. Just horrible. If he continues to improve his ground game/dirty boxing on a similar level, he could be unstoppable.

I agree with you with that one weapon there JC. The elbows is something Fedor has not dealt with and could be bothersome for him. Nog would have a harder time due to his lack of strength but Fedor is very powerful. I cant wait gonna be some good fights eh! I am going to bed c ya

Couture is definitely a fan favorite and a big draw.

Couture is such a class act. I was shocked at how he dismantled Gonzaga in his last match. Anyone think Couture would have a chance of beating Rampage??

I'd love to see that. I think Couture would have a good shot at him. Jackson's ground game was impressive against Henderson and I would love to see how that would go down with Couture.

How about Chuck Liddell? He was the UFC golden boy six months ago. I don't think Dana expected or wanted Chuck to lose. Can the UFC hang its hat on him or is his time over? As the UFC expands, they need fighters with crossover appeal. Chuck was on the cover of ESPN magazine and interviewed all over the place. He's getting older, but that loss hurt. It's hard to promote a guy who isn't champion. Could Chuck beat Jackson if he were given another shot?

How about Chuck Liddell? He was the UFC golden boy six months ago. I don't think Dana expected or wanted Chuck to lose. Can the UFC hang its hat on him or is his time over? As the UFC expands, they need fighters with crossover appeal. Chuck was on the cover of ESPN magazine and interviewed all over the place. He's getting older, but that loss hurt. It's hard to promote a guy who isn't champion. Could Chuck beat Jackson if he were given another shot?

Without a doubt, nobody should count Liddell out. At this level of fighting, one mistake or right connect can end the fight or severely alter the outcome. I think tis is why you can look at the greatests records and everybody has their losses. Chuck just got caught early by Jackson and never had the chance to recover. It happens.

I think that Chuck will beat Jardine and then will get a chance at the title within the next 1 or 2 defences. Who knows, with Couture getting his confidence back, there could be a Couture/Liddell 4 in the future. (shrug)

Anyone remember the Parisian/Diego Sanchez fight where he got his tooth knocked out?

Yes, that's what I was referring to when I said I would love to see Nate Diaz send another knee into Karo's face (thumbs u Nate may not be as good as his brother Nick yet, but give him a few more years training in BJJ with the Caesar Gracie camp along with improved stand-up fighting and additional strength/weight development and I think he could be a fighter to take note of.

And yes I love seeing the video of Karo getting his kicked by Diego! The last round was priceless as the horn sounded and Karo was wiping/picking his teeth out of his mouth from that brutal knee and subsequent punches lol

The judges were not hometown!!!!!! The two judges that scored it for Bisping were American, the one that scored it for Hammil was a Brit!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Vera looks like very good and think he will be a dominant force in the heavy weights, although he has to fight the awkward Tim Sylvia next. I think he should destroy him by rights, but it's just that giant reach he has.

Cro cop got a broken rib early on, had breathing problems, if he did go down a weight class I think he could be a monster, he is quite light for a heavy weight the Same with Randy, but he stuidies his opponenets and plays a different game for each one. Where as Cro Cop just goes in there and does what he does.

Only if Hoyce Grace fights...

It is "Royce" and he does steriods and he sucks, so no :)

UFC 75 was a good event and even better because it was free. I have been a long time Rampage fan so I was happy to see him unify the titles.

Chuck could beat Rampage again, but I think Rampage wins it 9 out of 10 times. The problem with Chuck is that he really isn't that interesting of a guy outside the ring. His interviews are horrible, while Rampage gives some of the best interviews (other than possibly a high Nick Diaz).

A couple questions for the UFC fans here....

Who looks to be the most marketable of UFC fighters right now?

Who out of the past two Ultimate Fighter seasons looks to be the best fighters?

Any thoughts on BJ Penn? I'm a big fan, but he has gotten a bit gassed in his past two fights and I wonder about his conditioning.

1. Rampage, Rampage, Rampage. If Franklin can win back the MW title, then I would agree with him. Couture is always great.

2. Nate Diaz, Joe Lauzon, Gray Maynard, and Manvel Gambaryan all looked good and have potential in the future.

3. Penn needs to stick to a weightclass and fight the top guys. I still never know what to expect from him.