• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me how YOU feel on switching teams

42 posts in this topic

I think Magneto was at his best in X-men 112-114. They should never have tried to redeem him. He is the X-men's arch enemy for cryin' out loud.

But don't you think that in the early days Magneto had no interesting motivation that was known and little personality beyond "I want to conquer the world and have revenge on the X Men". I think that he is far more interesting, following an agenda of protecting mutants from the persecution that he suffered as a young man which doesn't mean that he has to be redeemed or be an X Man but gives him something more interesting to do than conquer the world and makes him a more multi-dimensional character. Otherwise there would have been little difference between him and the Leader or the Mandarin, etc, etc. 2c

I think with the proper writing a Villian becoming the Hero for a short time or for a specific reason such as fighting a common enemy or common threat. Lends to added depth and dimension of the Character, Take most of spideys opponents they all seem to have switched sides temporarily at some point and they all seem to have kind of sad origins which makes them seem more human and gives the reader a sympathy for them where even while you are rooting for spidey in a battle you still on a certain level are cheering on the villian.Uunder very few curcimstances does it work for the villian to completly switch sides. I think the only one that did it succesfully in my opinion is SUBMARINER even as a hero you still feel he could switch sides in a monent as he really has no loyalty to humankind per se.

I always had trouble ever really thinking of Namor as a villain. I think it's because when I first started reading comics, he was a member of the Defenders so in my mind he was always in that hero catagory. Also back in those days, more was mentioned about his honour and nobility where today he is often just pictured as a complete jerk. I think he's been written by too many writers with differing opinions of what his personality should be.