• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commission questions

8 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me the steps an artist takes when doing a commission for someone?

After you tell the artist what you want (if you chose to do so), does the artist provide a rough sketch for approval? How many “rough drafts” are involved if any? Also, is it ok to ask the artist for all sketches and drafts related to the final finished commission? I would appreciate some answers from people that have had commissions done.

Thanks!

Rac

I think it all depends on the artist. When I had my Risso commission done, I never saw anything until I had the finished commission in my hands (to be fair, on his site it is requested that you do not provide detailed descriptions of what you want as it may hamper the creative process). Of course, I received the most arse-kicking commission ever, so I didn't mind. :cool:

I'm sure most artists will send you a prelim. I'd just check with them beforehand.

Rac,

I view Artists as one of two types with the two types being:

1st - Creative and can come up with their own idea

2nd - Must be told what to do

Besides some minor sketchbook pieces, I only deal with the 1st type for more elaborate/expensive commissions. I use the minor sketchbook pieces as a screening process to identify artists I want to get a more elaborate/expensive piece of art from.

The typical process I have had used is:

- I provide what I do not want

- Artist runs the idea by me

- I ok the idea (I do not specify any details except for the art to outlast me, archival/acid-free stuff)

- Terms and conditions are discussed. Copyright remains with the artist, can show friends but do not post until piece is published, and sometimes a contract is signed.

- I pay 50%

- Payment clears

- Artist does the piece

- Artist lets me know they are finished

- I pay 50%

- Payment clears

- Artist packages the art and lets me know S&H and insurance (or bills me directly through the shipping company)

- Artist mails/hand delivers the art

- I get the art

The artists I get commissions from typically do not have preliminaries and never duplicate the commission for another customer. But then again they are of the 1st type.

Artists that do preliminaries sometimes will include them for free and sometimes will charge extra for them. Always discuss this up front when discussing the price and payment schedule (if needed). If you are having a painting done there is a good change a preliminary will not exist since artists typically sketch in pencil on the canvas and then paint the piece over the sketch. My experience is that preliminaries are done for layout purposes only.

If you specify something you need to be aware that not all artists follow the same genre as you may. Example: One artist relayed to me that a kid at a show (I believe San Diego Comic Con) asked him how much for a sketch. The artist quote a price, the kid agreed and told the artist he wanted him to draw wolverine. The artist drew a snarling, 4 legged vermit which is the mascot of the University of Michigan. The kid was upset because he wanted some muscle bound guy in tight spandex which the artist had no idea about. Go figure that a kid would have that kind of preference.

Edwin

As a professional artist who does commissions I agree with all that is posted

below, with a few alterations.

When doing a commission, I am able to post any prelims. (unless I am doing a

piece for a publisher, that requests it not be published in my contract). I have

the right to duplicate the commission, with alterations to the original.

If you would like any prelims. that may be used for your commission (most

times a prelim. is various little sketches that is used for reference for the

final commission with me) that should be asked of the artist: an additional

cost will then be charged for those prelims.

If you will be publishing the commission, expect to pay more.

Other than that, Edwin has summed up the process quite well. (thumbs u

Rac,

I view Artists as one of two types with the two types being:

1st - Creative and can come up with their own idea

2nd - Must be told what to do

Besides some minor sketchbook pieces, I only deal with the 1st type for more elaborate/expensive commissions. I use the minor sketchbook pieces as a screening process to identify artists I want to get a more elaborate/expensive piece of art from.

The typical process I have had used is:

- I provide what I do not want

- Artist runs the idea by me

- I ok the idea (I do not specify any details except for the art to outlast me, archival/acid-free stuff)

- Terms and conditions are discussed. Copyright remains with the artist, can show friends but do not post until piece is published, and sometimes a contract is signed.

- I pay 50%

- Payment clears

- Artist does the piece

- Artist lets me know they are finished

- I pay 50%

- Payment clears

- Artist packages the art and lets me know S&H and insurance (or bills me directly through the shipping company)

- Artist mails/hand delivers the art

- I get the art

The artists I get commissions from typically do not have preliminaries and never duplicate the commission for another customer. But then again they are of the 1st type.

Artists that do preliminaries sometimes will include them for free and sometimes will charge extra for them. Always discuss this up front when discussing the price and payment schedule (if needed). If you are having a painting done there is a good change a preliminary will not exist since artists typically sketch in pencil on the canvas and then paint the piece over the sketch. My experience is that preliminaries are done for layout purposes only.

If you specify something you need to be aware that not all artists follow the same genre as you may. Example: One artist relayed to me that a kid at a show (I believe San Diego Comic Con) asked him how much for a sketch. The artist quote a price, the kid agreed and told the artist he wanted him to draw wolverine. The artist drew a snarling, 4 legged vermit which is the mascot of the University of Michigan. The kid was upset because he wanted some muscle bound guy in tight spandex which the artist had no idea about. Go figure that a kid would have that kind of preference.

Edwin

Thanks guys for the info. Question though, why is it typical to pay more for the prelim? Can the artist use them for another purpose?

I don't charge more for any prelim. I would offer for sale. This is new to me.

I don't know of any artist to do this. Not saying they don't? I just don't know

any that do. It seems odd to me to do so.

Thanks guys for the info. Question though, why is it typical to pay more for the prelim? Can the artist use them for another purpose?

They charge for the prelims because they know if you don't buy it – someone else will.

I own a couple of prelims from commissions that weren't mine.