• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Key Sealed comics Questions--Help

47 posts in this topic

I have a ? about that book. I wouldn't think it is part of the Whitman 3 pack for the movie. Does anyone know what 3 pack that issue appeared in? For that matter, is there a list showing what book were grouped with which others in 3 packs?

I have a ? about that book. I wouldn't think it is part of the Whitman 3 pack for the movie. Does anyone know what 3 pack that issue appeared in? For that matter, is there a list showing what book were grouped with which others in 3 packs?

All the information I know about The Black Hole #4 is that my grandmother bought me a Whitman 3 pack when I was a kid which contained the first 3 issues of The Black Hole. In the OPG it said there were 4 issues. About 3 years ago I noticed this copy on Doug Sulipa's site and snagged it. We discussed the issue via email and Doug stated it was a very HTF issue due to it being only sold in the Whitman 3 packs. I don't have any idea what the other books it was packed with were.

I have looked for that comic for 5 years, I saw it come up on FEE BAY a few months ago it was not listed properly one of those small collections of dreck with a nice comic peeking out. I bid early up and got tied up at auction end with my buisness and could not get back to the computer to bid at the last minute. I wanted to kill myself. This comic is impossible to find. Your copy is sweet...

I have seen several low grade copies of BH #4 locally and the one big Whitman collector I know has picked up a few in high grade. These books are not as rare as some claim them to be - they just had poor distribution. I have had discussions with several dealers at local shows and they all said the same thing - these comics are not that hard to find in Western Canada. I used to actively buy them locally to flip on eBay to buy older books, but due to the OSPG prices on most of them it is not worth it as the LCS's have finally clued in to some extent.

According the the collector I know, they are fairly common in Oregon, Alberta, and one or two states on the East Coast (source of the multiple graded copies that appeared on Ebay in 2005/early 06 - he apparently came across a warehouse stash of sealed 3-packs) . I also had a couple of people in Europe that bought Moderns from me on eBay in the past mention that they are not that difficult to find overseas either. Of course, the key is finding them in high grade since these were books that kids actually read (and collectors ignored for the most part).

In the mid 80s, the local Zellers store in my hometown of St. John's Newfoundland had - literally - stacks of pre-packed Whitmans. And they were practically giving them away. There were hundreds of them.

'Who'll ever want this ?' I wondered.

Sigh.

Shep

I saw that. Almost jumped on it until I realized it wouldn't have the 4th issue. Thus my question re: which issues were in which packs?

Gotta be a Whitman collector here that can point me in the right direction.

In the mid 80s, the local Zellers store in my hometown of St. John's Newfoundland had - literally - stacks of pre-packed Whitmans. And they were practically giving them away. There were hundreds of them.

'Who'll ever want this ?' I wondered.

Sigh.

Shep

I remember a time when Whitman books were considered reprints and therefore nearly worthless.

Me thinks Thow doth exagerate a wee bit! (tsk)

Out of all the Gold Key 1970's and 1980's Whitmans in existence, I'd say my math is pretty accurate. The vast, vast, vast majority of the Whitman books from this era are worth zilch.

Prove it wheres the link!!! :sumo:

You do realize that only a few issues out of the ENTIRE BA and CA Whitman runs are even remotely rare, right? These were ONLY issued in 3-packs, while the others were sold through the regular channels + 3-packs.

Your points ar valued and spot on to a degree. What I am speaking of are the whitmans stilled sealed in the bags, those are tuffer to find and getting scarcer and scarcer. Most of the packs were opened. So peace brother! :foryou: