• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do regarding their CGC CGC Bags or au natural?

52 posts in this topic

Not that its wrong to pay 1000% of true value if you are cool with that. People do that every day with bottled water.

just to digress here on the bottled water thing: Now that we are pretty aware that the "pure" water in the bottle is really tap water, I think we still buy them for the carrying case and convenience. Its a "waterproof holder" for water --- which more people drink more of now for health reasons (or perceived, whatever) since we are always rehydrating etc.

and teh alternative is to buy a flask or plastic bottle and just fill it up every day from the tap, but that means always cleaning the bottle ourselves, so again, its the convenience we pay for so we can just toss the bottle when empty.

So we are cool with paying 5 cents for water and 95 for the holder/convenience factor.

Ive often wondered why there isnt price cpmpetition going lower for bottle water, since their raw materials costs them so little. But, if someone marketed a cheaper bottle water, why would stores stock up to sell it when people eagerly pay more now? And love to Starbucks th idea by thinking the most expensive water must be the best water!! madness.

Anyone else but me think that sticking a CGC slab in a mylar sleeve is :screwy: and not only a little unecessary?

It's less about protecting the comic and more about the overall look. The slabs can get scratched up pretty easily and that takes away from their appreance. The plastic bags are good for keeping the slabs scratch free but over time don't hold out very well.

Anyone else but me think that sticking a CGC slab in a mylar sleeve is :screwy: and not only a little unecessary?

It's less about protecting the comic and more about the overall look. The slabs can get scratched up pretty easily and that takes away from their appreance. The plastic bags are good for keeping the slabs scratch free but over time don't hold out very well.

hm However, it would seem there should be a better option than (more expensive) mylar. Just saying....

First of all, is the Subject of this Thread even in English??? :baiting:

What I do is carefully remove the CGC-Supplied plastic bag, and I put that in its own mylar. Because rumor has it that eventually CGC will begin grading and slabbing plastic bags, so I want to protect them because pristine high-grade bags will be collectors items and worth millions some day. This way I will eventually have a beautiful collection of slabbed high-grade comics, sitting side-by-side with their high-grade slabbed plastic sleeves. When I sell them I can sell them as a set, which will bring even higher prices.

Now, some people actually get their CGC shipment with bags that are already crinkled. When that happens, I send them back to CGC and ask for a "rebaggering". This costs $3 per slab but I think it's worth it to have protective bag that's in gem-minty-Fine condition.

Then I buy a mylar for the CGC case, because scratches on the plastic case could bring down it's value. Eventually the mylar gets scratched, so I put the CGC case in the Mylar, then put the mylar in another plastic bag which I don't care if it gets scratched or not. But this way I don't have to worry about the mylar getting scratched. Now, I thought about putting all of it -- the CGC Case, Mylar, and Bag in another mylar too to keep the bag from getting wrinkled or scratched, but that would be crazy.

So what should you use to protect the mylar which is protecting the slab which is protecting the comic?

I answered that. See my post above!!! :makepoint:

So you did, sorry.

I'm still confused though, why in the world would you share this information with us? Aren't you worried other people will profit from your ideas?

I think ComicSupply sells the mylars. You can also get them from BCE or directly from the manufacturer (Gerber??). Just order the legal sized Mylite 2's. I don't remember the exact dimensions but you can order them in bulk for less than $1 a mylar. I love them and that is what I use. It would be nice if they were resealable like the BU bags but I prefer the look and feel of the Mylar. Also, supposedly, according to the manufacturer, they have a UV inhibitor built in but that could just be marketing BS.

I think the one you sent me was worth more than the book inside :baiting:

:hi: I'm with you on that.

I'd never buy mylars or even regular bags for my slabs. I've got some with and without bags. If they came with one, then I kept it. If that gets ratty I'll trash it.

Seriously, what's the point? You've got two identical books, identical grades. One slab has a scratch, the other one doesn't. Who is paying a premium for the unscratched slab? Nobody.

Seriously, what's the point? You've got two identical books, identical grades. One slab has a scratch, the other one doesn't. Who is paying a premium for the unscratched slab? Nobody.

Coming soon to a new grading cost tier near you, non scratching CGC slabs.

I'd never buy mylars or even regular bags for my slabs. I've got some with and without bags. If they came with one, then I kept it. If that gets ratty I'll trash it.

You would be surprised the number of people that ask me if the slab is scratch free and bagged before placing bids

First of all, is the Subject of this Thread even in English??? :baiting:

What I do is carefully remove the CGC-Supplied plastic bag, and I put that in its own mylar. Because rumor has it that eventually CGC will begin grading and slabbing plastic bags, so I want to protect them because pristine high-grade bags will be collectors items and worth millions some day. This way I will eventually have a beautiful collection of slabbed high-grade comics, sitting side-by-side with their high-grade slabbed plastic sleeves. When I sell them I can sell them as a set, which will bring even higher prices.

Now, some people actually get their CGC shipment with bags that are already crinkled. When that happens, I send them back to CGC and ask for a "rebaggering". This costs $3 per slab but I think it's worth it to have protective bag that's in gem-minty-Fine condition.

Then I buy a mylar for the CGC case, because scratches on the plastic case could bring down it's value. Eventually the mylar gets scratched, so I put the CGC case in the Mylar, then put the mylar in another plastic bag which I don't care if it gets scratched or not. But this way I don't have to worry about the mylar getting scratched. Now, I thought about putting all of it -- the CGC Case, Mylar, and Bag in another mylar too to keep the bag from getting wrinkled or scratched, but that would be crazy.

I make quilted Cozies for all my slabs. It takes up a lot of space, but they are safe. And you can slab all your Plastic CGC Bags if you want to Steve, I prefer to keep my bags raw thank you very much.. I like to actually read.. I mean look at them instead of having them sealed away inside plastic.

How else can you hear them crinkle if they are slabbed? :makepoint:

Ze-

You would be surprised the number of people that ask me if the slab is scratch free and bagged before placing bids

Ditto, and personally I hate scratched slabs. I like the fresh look :cool:

Ditto, and personally I hate scratched slabs. I like the fresh look :cool:

Pressing, the hot topic today. Scratch Buffing, the controversial topic of the future.

Oh the humanity!

Ze-

Pressing, the hot topic today. Scratch Buffing, the controversial topic of the future. Ze-

If one buffs out the scratches, but nothing is added or taken away....

hm

... disclosure required.... hm hm

wil we then have to slab the slab that slabs the comic? Will that second slab then get the PLOD? :insane: