• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, gonna' take a look at a collection...

71 posts in this topic

C'mon Nik, you know you would fleece that poor old guy just like you do all your Auto repair customers. I saw you on 60 minutes trying to put metal shavings in those poor old peoples R.V's transmission.

:baiting:

I wouldn't be surprised is the LCS offered $2-$3 a book for perfectly good GA superhero stuff worth hundreds a pop. My old LCS would offer $1-$2 a pop for that stuff to gauge the reaction. Apparently, it wasn't purely because he was a rip-off artist. Earlier in his comic/card shop days he made a big mistake. Someone brought in a box of cards. In there were like 10-15 Ted Williams rookie cards among other stuff. Mind you, whatever edition they were, it wasn't like a Mantle rookie at $50-100K, but these were still worth a big chunk of change each. So he actually offered something semi-reasonable like 20-25% of retail for the cards (which might have been several hundred for the box) because he wanted them bad, didn't want the guy to walk and figured anyone what had multiple Williams rookie cards had some idea they were worth something.

Well, basically, the guy who brought the cards in thought he had a $10-15 box of cards and figured he was going to get lunch money for his efforts. With the offer of several hundred he realized he probably had something worth a heck of a lot more and walked out the door.

So, after that, his policy was basically to act like anything brought in wasn't worth anything. If the seller knew better, he might negotiate more.

Anyway, I suggest getting a face to face with the old guy ASAP or giving me his phone #. Haven't you learned anything from the last thread about a potential collection!?!? Our forumite hesitated like half a day and his opportunity was gone.

I remember selling some books right after the first price guide came out to a dealer in Berkeley. He used the guide as reference and offered me half of what the guide prices were for silver and 75 percent for gold. All the books were desirable. I needed the money and thought it was a very fair deal.

--------------------------------------------------

1) He was probably high

2) That was 100 years ago

3) Things are different now

4) Those were very fair prices for a dealer. Actually, beyond very fair prices.

5) If he paid that % of OPG he probably had buyers lined up.

6) Wasn't OPG actually on the low side vs. "market" in many respects in the early days?

7) I'm not defending the $1 offer, just noting that sometimes being honest, or semi-honest, bites you in the rear.

I remember selling some books right after the first price guide came out to a dealer in Berkeley. He used the guide as reference and offered me half of what the guide prices were for silver and 75 percent for gold. All the books were desirable. I needed the money and thought it was a very fair deal.

What was the name of the store?