• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, gonna' take a look at a collection...

71 posts in this topic

Here's what I know.....

1) My brother says the guy is 80 years old.

2) While helping him move, he noticed about 100 comic books from (what he says) were printed in the '30's and 40's.

3) After talking briefly to the owner of the books, he's advised me

a) a local comic shop already offered him about $2 - $3 a book based on a small handful he showed him

b) he described some of the comics as being "Marvel" and "Superman"

4) My brother says the comics are in good shape

I gave him my number and am hoping he'll call me today to set up a time when I can have a look at these.

Just thought I'd share, as I know many of you like to hear stories like this.

It sounds somewhat promising. I don't think an LCS would offer someone $2 - 3 a book for modern drek, so he may actually have something.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

That actually would be very generous, more like .15c/.20c each :gossip::baiting:

If you owned a LCS and this guy brought in his 40's Superman's and Marvels would you offer him 2-3$ a book and let him leave or would you offer him something more enticing knowing you have gold on your hands?

Artboy99

You gave your brother your number to give to the old guy or you gave it to the old guy yourself? If you did not speak to the fellow and give him your number directly, I wouldn't wait around to see if he calls you, I'd get on the phone right away and then get over to inspect the books ASAP (and prepared to give him cash right there) if you really think these are decent GA books.

You gave your brother your number to give to the old guy or you gave it to the old guy yourself? If you did not speak to the fellow and give him your number directly, I wouldn't wait around to see if he calls you, I'd get on the phone right away and then get over to inspect the books ASAP (and prepared to give him cash right there) if you really think these are decent GA books.

Yep. Go over to the guys house today and introduce yourself. Bring money.

If you owned a LCS and this guy brought in his 40's Superman's and Marvels would you offer him 2-3$ a book and let him leave or would you offer him something more enticing knowing you have gold on your hands?

Artboy99

I was responding to the comment about an LCS offering $2/$3 each for Modern drek.

Obviously I would offer alot more then that for older stuff.

Artboy99

I was responding to the comment about an LCS offering $2/$3 each for Modern drek.

Obviously I would offer alot more then that for older stuff.

No you wouldn't...

:baiting:

It sounds somewhat promising. I don't think an LCS would offer someone $2 - 3 a book for modern drek, so he may actually have something.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

That actually would be very generous, more like .15c/.20c each :gossip::baiting:

Indeed. That's what I was trying to say. If the LCS was willing to shell out the "big" bucks, I would think it would have to be something at least worth a few dollars. It probably won't be GA Superman, but could still be something GA that's not worth much like some New Funnies books or something like that.

Also, it wouldn't be unheard of for a dealer to low-ball a seller, especially if they are the only game in town and the seller is an elderly person who may not know a whole lot about the value of his/her collection (I'm not suggesting this is common practice, but it is done occasionally).

My LCS offers $15 per long box for modern drek.