• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Would Comic Prices Increase over the Next 10 Years?

57 posts in this topic

People will assign value to anything - I have a friend who buys shoes (apparently shoes are collectibles too and there are entire websites devoted to just selling different kinds of basketball shoes) and sells them.  He’s willing to spend a lot of money on this.  

Coins, stamps are still viable hobbies / investments.  Coin collecting isn’t anywhere near as popular as it used to be and still the hobby persists and people still view them as investments.  

It’s not like 10yrs from now - comic books as a medium goes away.  1/2 the content people watch on TV is probably based on a comic book and they have no idea.  I sold a few Invincible 1’s recently and the buyers weren’t even comic fans - they just loved the cartoon and found out it was based on a comic.  

Shows like the Expanse, Sweet Tooth, Walking Dead, Preacher etc.. - all from comics that most people outside the hobby have no idea about.  Comic sales are also healthy - not as great as they used to be but healthy.

On 9/16/2003 at 10:01 PM, ninanina said:

Will something happen in the future to turn the market around? Sure. But don't ask me what it will be.

I have no idea. http://boards.collectors-society.com/images//graemlins/grin.gif

We now know we all got a huge jolt when Disney bought Marvel and started making spectacular movies bringing the Marvel Universe to the masses just a little while after JoeCollector said movies were winding down. More recently the Sports Card collectors realizing the rarity of a 9.8 comic against the thousands of Gem Mints out there may be a better bet long term. The hobby has a long history of getting kicked with a frozen boot time and time again to keep it going. I can't see any reason why this won't change. 

On 9/16/2003 at 9:57 PM, musicmeta said:

I agree, but I also think there are always going to be those "Hidden Jewels" that somehow defy the trends, but having those is the key.

X-Men 129, Batman 423, Usagi Yojimbo 1, Dark Horse Star Wars, Machine Man 19, Star Wars 42, Moon Knight 1, She Hulk 1, Fantastic Four 232, Hulk 271, Hulk 449, Marvel Premiere 47 or maybe just anything and everything in 9.8.

6 minutes ago, ninanina said:

X-Men 129, Batman 423, Usagi Yojimbo 1, Dark Horse Star Wars, Machine Man 19, Star Wars 42, Moon Knight 1, She Hulk 1, Fantastic Four 232, Hulk 271, Hulk 449, Marvel Premiere 47 or maybe just anything and everything in 9.8.

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed Amazing Spider-Man 300 in that list. In any case, musicmeta...you were bang on in your post 18 years ago. 

Title is pretty much correct. 2000 ish to 2012 2013 was pretty much the deadball era. A few books popped in 2008, mainly iron man and A list avengers. After people seen that and economy got on track the movie speculators changed the market. I sold off a lot of books in the 90s so spent the 2000s replenishing my collection. Not much of a price spike.

55 minutes ago, october said:

If I had listened to the "experts" in this thread back in 2003, and I WAS reading the boards back then, I would have lost out on an unreal amount of comics, money and fun. :eek:

Could not agree more! Bit of a roller coaster in the early ‘10s but for the most part, once the movies got rolling the market has been pretty strong. Hindsight is always 20/20 but thought it was fun to revisit one of these old threads 😊

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
1 hour ago, Prince Namor said:

This thread has not aged very well.

It sure hasn't.  I think JC used to start one of these doom & gloom threads once per year, minimum. 

Most of his posts were in other people's topics of excitement for things he wasn't excited about... and he wanted everyone to know it. 

Old man yells at cloud - Imgur

3 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Title is pretty much correct. 2000 ish to 2012 2013 was pretty much the deadball era. A few books popped in 2008, mainly iron man and A list avengers. After people seen that and economy got on track the movie speculators changed the market. I sold off a lot of books in the 90s so spent the 2000s replenishing my collection. Not much of a price spike.

That is correct. Can't be too harsh.  It just rebounded sharply after 2014

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

That is correct. Can't be too harsh.  It just rebounded sharply after 2014

They had good reasons to not expect prices to jump up. At the time people loved the xmen and spiderman movies. There was speculating and price increases but nothing like today. Something happened that made people to crave and must have the first appearance of anything movie or tv related no matter how lame it is. 

13 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

True of action figures and video games as well. Prices spiked in the late 90's, held steady through the 2000's, and have exploded since 2013/14. Hard to believe now, but outside rarities, vintage Star Wars was selling for less in the mid-late 00's than in the late 90's.

Edited by ericduchak