• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Actually read a book you buy that cost your over $800+

what would your do?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. what would your do?

20 posts in this topic

With the ever rising sky rocket sales of either raw or cgc comics lately how many of you would actual take your book out of the mylar, and read the book cover to cover. Or would you just admire the cover and the pq and place it safely in your comic collection.

confused.gif\

WEBHEAD

Every HG raw book I get, I open it up and read it once, even if I already have the issue. I believe comics are to be read, and most times, I get more value out of actually reading the comuc, the letters and the bulletins than I paid.

I'm careful, and the books are stored afterward, but if I started to not care what was on the inside, I'd probably quit the hobby for good.

Why would you do that when you can read the same story in a reprint or a reader copy for 25 dollars or less?

Most comics are not reprinted in their entirety (ads, letters and bulletins are the best!) and it can be quite difficult to duplicate your entire collection for "readers".

Why would you do that when you can read the same story in a reprint or a reader copy for 25 dollars or less?

Most comics are not reprinted in their entirety (ads, letters and bulletins are the best!) and it can be quite difficult to duplicate your entire collection for "readers".

It's even harder and more expensive to try to replace a NM book that you've been searching for for years by mucking it up by opening it up and reading it.

J.D.

Duplicating entire collection in readers? He's talking about a couple books. Either way, you can get a LOT of books in reader condition for not a WHOLE lot of money.

Where is he talking about "a couple of books"?

This is really a case of to each his own, but like I said, if I started not opening up my new issues and just tossing them into long boxes, I'd be out of collecting in a NY minute.

It has nothing to do with reading the stories, etc., but with fully experiencing my purchases at least once. Read the book, check out some ads, look over the letter pages/bulletins, and simply taking in the era and nostalgia.

It's even harder and more expensive to try to replace a NM book that you've been searching for for years by mucking it up by opening it up and reading it.

Once again, personal preference. I will never buy a non-CGC comic that I'm not prepared to open at least once. If I really want a NM "keeper" I just buy the slab.

OK. So the book cost $800+. But what the poll doesn't capture is: what's the grade of the book? If it's a $1000 copy of FF1, I'll read it til the cows come home. If it's a $1000 copy of ASM 129 I am not going to touch it.

Dan

OK. So the book cost $800+. But what the poll doesn't capture is: what's the grade of the book? If it's a $1000 copy of FF1, I'll read it til the cows come home. If it's a $1000 copy of ASM 129 I am not going to touch it.

Dan

I read all my books...unless they are one of my many multiples! acclaim.gif

Give me a break. That's a moot point. Your collection is largely bronze DCs. Any $1000 book you have you would either have a lower grade copy, or could buy one for next to nothing! confused-smiley-013.gif
The fact is that I have read all my books in the past. My FF 49...etc...no gloves at all! At this point, anything over $800 will be CGC graded but I still read the raw stuff! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dan

You read my Neutro #1 also.... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Dan

You read my Neutro #1 also.... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Yep...read it in San Diego. Wanted to make sure if it was a stupid as Robert Beerhbohlm said! To be honest, it's not that stupid but where's the sequel? tonofbricks.gif

I don't like reprints. They don't look, feel or smell the same! insane.gifgrin.gif

Finding reader copies of my precode books is almost as hard as findinf fine or better copies! So I will continue to read.

The fact is that I have read all my books in the past. My FF 49...etc...no gloves at all! At this point, anything over $800 will be CGC graded but I still read the raw stuff! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just think of the tens of thousands of dollars you've cost yourself in lowering those 9.8s and 9.9s down to mere 9.4s and 9.6s! For SHAME! 893naughty-thumb.giffrown.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

Just think of the tens of thousands of dollars you've cost yourself in lowering those 9.8s and 9.9s down to mere 9.4s and 9.6s! For SHAME! 893naughty-thumb.giffrown.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

Yeah...and read them lying down also! Oh..the horror of what could have been! 893applaud-thumb.gif