• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does your family/friends think about you collecting comics

89 posts in this topic

Well the fiance(Wife) was apposed to the whole idea but now we travel as long as I can go to a con we go anywhere she wants :grin:

As for friends or family I think they would be more accepting if I told them that the 90+ long boxes conatined playboys and a few independants....

Other ppl outside my close and small ring of friends have no idea of my collecting they just see me carry in box after box....wonder what they think.

Have never spent anytime with anyone on a board before.....Not ready for that step...

Well, my grandmother was a collector of various and sundry items herself. She pretty much encouraged my collecting (not of just comics). My mother doesn't seem to have much of an opinion about it. My brother collects action figures, so he would be a hypocrite if he said anything.

I think everyone would be horrified to know how much I spent on the hobby.

That being said, my girlfriend thinks it's cute.

She laughs when I put on the latex gloves, break out the lope, and begin to grade raw books.

She seems a little shocked when the boxes of slabs arrive every month...

and walks in to my man cave to find it absolutely littered with empty shipping boxes, bubble wrap, and scores of books stacked here and there.

I tell her I'm on a buying spree because I know when we get married...well, the insanity will probably need to be toned down a little! lol

Far cry from one girl I dated - who dumped me as soon as she found out I collected comics. I suppose her last boyfriend shared my obsession for comics. lol.

Good riddance. My present GF is way hotter. :D

My non-geeky friends find my hobby interesting. My geeky friend complains that I collect the wrong character. My family doesn't know the extent of my hobby.

That pretty much sums it up.

My bride to be doesn't mind it. Probably secretly wishes I didn't spend quite so much money on it, but There's no indication that she thinks that. She buys me comics I've been looking for, she goes to shops with me regularly, and even reads a couple of titles herself.

She's got a HUGE Alice in Wonderland collection, so she understands my Comics/Star Trek collecting.

My wife tolerates my hobby (one of many). Frankly she's terrified of me being a 'full-on-nerd" (the cosplay at conventions variety), but since she knows I'm not she deals.

Since I'm an artist, and primarily one because of an early exposure to comics, she humors me. I can get her to watch most of the movies and she'll let me sit in my office and bag my books for hours on end during the weekends without complaint. All in all, I'm pretty lucky. Now, I don't know what she'll do when she sees the 7 long boxes I've got stored in the upstairs closet. Last time she saw them, there was only one short box....

1) Collect

2) Spend large sums of money on your collection

3) Fly around the country to buy comics/ have dinner with fellow collectors, etc.

1) They'd rather me collect than do anything illegal. They figure it keeps me out of trouble, and it does.

2) Some frown. Some are impressed and brag about what I own to others. It varies.

3) For the most part I don't. I don't fly anywhere to meet people. If I have dinner with another collector locally, it's no different than having dinner with any other friend.

DG

2.) I get this face a lot :o :o ....... followed by :boo: then :flamed:

(thumbs u Most people just don't think it is normal for a grown man to collect funny books.

+1

I've had more than one person tell me it's time to grow up and stop collecting comic books. Women in particular don't seem to get it.

I usually fib and say I buy them as an investment. I omit the fact that I usually pay twice as much as I'll ever be able to sell them for.

My girlfriend is ok with it. Since she is a huge Disneyana fan, and has a whole room (literally) filled with Disney memorabilia, she can relate to my little collection. I've collected various other things like action figures and statues, as well as spend a little time putting models together on my down time. It's all a way for me to relax.

I don't mention how much I spend on comics books. Sometimes I cringe at the prices, so I can only imagine what my family would say. Every once in a while I'll have an order sent to my mom's address because my neighborhood is not always safe for packages, so my mom is ok with me collecting.

I don't really know any other collectors, except for you all on thee boards.

Sometimes at a con I'll be standing next to some little kid looking through boxes, and I'll wonder "should I really be doing this, spending money on these?" Then I'll find an issue on my want list, and I'm happy again =)

I don't travel to meet others, though I suppose I would for a big con.