• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian price variants Any market for these?

30 posts in this topic

I have been buying a few of these from a great seller on E-Bay "Freindly Andy" He is actively searching via dealers and other sources in Canada for the Canadian price variants of Marvel and the Star comics line. He is telling me the ones he is finding are not in great condition and it is immpossible to find many in grade.These are not high grade but they are the best this seller could find. I have bought about 10 or so from this person. I will show 3 here, I Cant find these listed in Overstreet, I am curiouse if any one knows the print runs on these in relation to the US. Does any one feel these are a viable Item to be chasing? Or am I wasting my time and money?

thanks all for your time and input....Oh and apologize for the scans, this scanner doesnt work with graded comics well.

scan0103.jpg

scan0102.jpg

scan0104.jpg

Most people don't notice the difference for obvious reasons. Many don't care but technically their "worth" less than US copies but not as looked down upon as their pence counterparts.

I think pristine newsstand copies would sell for more than the US counterparts.

I still don't quite understand why UK editions don't command decent prices. I think it may have more to do with the difference in the Marvel banner...than the price variation.

I still don't quite understand why UK editions don't command decent prices.

Because NA collectors like what is familiar and what they grew up with, which is CENTS.

I can't believe people have to even ask, as funny book collecting is about as anal a hobby as you can find. One tiny spine crease and MK runs away screaming, yet people scratch their heads over something as blatant and visible as a pence sign.

My 2c is this:

Correctly, they are Canadian editions, not price variants. I have not read the indicia for all of these particular books, but unless the cover price differs from the indicia, they are not price variants.

Same thing is applicable for UK editions.

So why don't people want them? Or, why is the demand so low for these issues? Now those are interesting questions. Who would want a Canadian copy or a UK copy? Generally I would think it would be a completest who is done with regular editions, but do not want to quit collecting the run. These people do not usually collect across the entire spectrum and usually limit themselves to ASM or X-men type issues. There are also the speculators, but it boils down to this: Extremely small market.

Scarcity is relative and low(er) print runs do not equal demand.

Freindly_Andy is on the edge of this frringe market, and I wish him success.

Correctly, they are Canadian editions, not price variants. I have not read the indicia for all of these particular books, but unless the cover price differs from the indicia, they are not price variants. Same thing is applicable for UK editions.

I say this ALL the time, but no one ever listens.

My 2c is this:

Correctly, they are Canadian editions, not price variants. I have not read the indicia for all of these particular books, but unless the cover price differs from the indicia, they are not price variants.

The cover price is different from the indicia.

My 2c is this:

ok, I guess that settles it

:jokealert:

seriously though, I have just sent Friendly_Andy a email requesting scans of the indicia of his Canadian editions. I will post them up once received.

My 2c is this:

one other thing--I am sure there are exceptions....

lastly, my question(s) are this regarding OS:

Do you think it is possible for them to list every pence edition? every candaian edition? every second or subsequent printing? what about direct sale vs newsstand editions?

do they even know?

Should they? Is the guide less without it?

does this topic need it's own thread?

My 2c is this:

lol(tsk)(tsk)

On the Canadian editions, it clearly states what it sells for in Canadian funds. On the UK editions I own, same thing. Now, the very earliest, US-stamped-as-UK frankenbooks might not, but (shrug) .

My 2c is this:

lol(tsk)(tsk)

On the Canadian editions, it clearly states what it sells for in Canadian funds. On the UK editions I own, same thing. Now, the very earliest, US-stamped-as-UK frankenbooks might not, but (shrug) .

Or doesn't state a single issue price at all, at least in the case of the 75c U.S./$1.00 Cdn DCs I checked.

Yeah, I'm a Marvel man myself. (shrug)

Plus, this whole "different price than on indicia" is a moot point anyway.

A variant is a comic, sold on the same shelf at the same time, that is somehow different than the standard version.

That means that are no Canadian or UK price variants in existence.

I"ve got a bunch in front of me. Indica are as follows:

75c Canadian edition Marvel say 60c USA abd 75c Canada

95c Canadian edition Marvel say 75c USA and 95c Canada

75c Canadian DCs have no pricing whatsoever in the indica

Do you think it is possible for them to list every pence edition? every candaian edition? Yes every second or subsequent printing? Yes what about direct sale vs newsstand editions? Yes

They should at least acknowledge the existence of the different versions, even if it's just a note at the end of the listing stating something like "issues XXX-XXX have Cdn versions and are valued at XXX% of guide"

do they even know? They should

Should they? Yes Is the guide less without it? Yes

does this topic need it's own thread? This is its own thread now.

Do you think it is possible for them to list every pence edition? every candaian edition? Yes every second or subsequent printing? Yes what about direct sale vs newsstand editions? Yes

They should at least acknowledge the existence of the different versions, even if it's just a note at the end of the listing stating something like "issues XXX-XXX have Cdn versions and are valued at XXX% of guide"

do they even know? They should

Should they? Yes Is the guide less without it? Yes

does this topic need it's own thread? This is its own thread now.

(thumbs u

I"ve got a bunch in front of me. Indica are as follows:

75c Canadian edition Marvel say 60c USA abd 75c Canada

95c Canadian edition Marvel say 75c USA and 95c Canada

75c Canadian DCs have no pricing whatsoever in the indica

thanks

this equates to "not price variants"

So why don't people want them? Or, why is the demand so low for these issues? Now those are interesting questions. Who would want a Canadian copy or a UK copy? Generally I would think it would be a completest who is done with regular editions, but do not want to quit collecting the run. These people do not usually collect across the entire spectrum and usually limit themselves to ASM or X-men type issues. There are also the speculators, but it boils down to this: Extremely small market.

I think the small market would also include Canadian and British fans.

Dennis