• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Restore/Conserve this?

46 posts in this topic

Getting the staple out either way is pretty important on a book like this.

I definitely agree. This is not like pressing out a crease or doing a color touch. This is attending to a staple or staples that will contnue to degrade and migrate rust stains. Even in proper storage conditions, the paper is going to become more structurally impacted. Eventually there will be no paper there. I would get it attended to, especially because it IS a key book.

Right. Unfortunately, the current extreme stigma against restoration is impacting the decision making process. Take that out of the equation and it is a no-brainer. Rusted staples that are staining the book or replaced staples. Bear in mind that a resto / conservator will use vintage staples from that era, so the match will be perfect.

IMO, the book is too important to let it rot away. The hell with the possibility of a green or purple label... preserve the book.

Also, remember that the stigma on restoration won't last forever. It will come in waves. Take care of you book if you plan on keeping it for the long term. Or you can send it to CGC to get a blue label and the buy another copy.

Personally, I'd just replace the staples and see what can be done to treat the paper. My preference is Classic Incorporated because he did a book for me about ten years ago and it came out beautifully.

I really wonder about "rust migration" Certainly that happened when it initially got wet but once it dries out and stay's dry, does it continue to migrate? My initial thought is no, or at least so slowly as not to be a concern for an otherwise low grade book.

In otherwords, the damage is already done, and barring a paper restoration, is it really going to get all that much worse?

We all hate rusty staples like the plague but replacing them doesn't make a better comic IMO.

I'm also one of those unreasonable folks who just doesn't like restoration, especially adding pieces and parts. It starts to go down the path of why collect expensive comics.

Q: Why would you pay $1000+ for this book when a reprint can be had for $3?

A: Because its an original.

Q: Yeah, but I hear you can just reconstruct the paper and staples. So again, why buy the original for $1000?

A: Ummm, well you see, there are different levels of restoration .....blah blah blah....

Yes I realize the original staple is a mess but its still original and not getting worse. If its really crumbling, why not take it out, but not put in a new one at all? At least then, for me, its still all original.

Ed

It's not a black and white scenario to everyone. You feel as if that one tiny piece has been replaced it's not original. Is a 64 1/2 Mustang with a replaced fan belt no longer original?

To me, it's a matter of degree. Even with replaced staples, this book would still be 98% original parts IMO and the "reprint" analogy doesn't fit at all.

I definitely agree. This is not like pressing out a crease or doing a color touch. This is attending to a staple or staples that will contnue to degrade and migrate rust stains. Even in proper storage conditions, the paper is going to become more structurally impacted. Eventually there will be no paper there. I would get it attended to, especially because it IS a key book.

Right. Unfortunately, the current extreme stigma against restoration is impacting the decision making process. Take that out of the equation and it is a no-brainer. Rusted staples that are staining the book or replaced staples. Bear in mind that a resto / conservator will use vintage staples from that era, so the match will be perfect.

IMO, the book is too important to let it rot away. The hell with the possibility of a green or purple label... preserve the book.

Absolutely replace that bottom staple.

This seems like a no brainer to me.But then again some people would rather have a book corroding away that have even a small thing like a staple replaced.

Absolutely replace that bottom staple.

This seems like a no brainer to me.But then again some people would rather have a book corroding away that have even a small thing like a staple replaced.

i gotta agree with all that.

i'd even consider getting the entire book itself restored. why not just go all the way? but then again, i dont know much about resto anyways

Staple replacemant alone, with vintage staples, on a book below VF = Blue Label.

I really wonder about "rust migration" Certainly that happened when it initially got wet but once it dries out and stay's dry, does it continue to migrate? My initial thought is no, or at least so slowly as not to be a concern for an otherwise low grade book.

Rust migration happens over time, not all at once. Also, unlike some types of metal. rust on a staple is not a protective coating. Even if the staple surface is dry, oxidation will still take place, and migration to the paper will continue.

In otherwords, the damage is already done, and barring a paper restoration, is it really going to get all that much worse?

That's the real issue. The damage is not already done but does continue over time.

I am going to check into restoration. I had originall thought about Fantasy Masterpieces, but will also check into the two listed here. Right now, I'm trying to get photos of all the problems without just slapping the book on a scanner. I didn't have much luck with that when I put the pics on here, but I'll put a lot more effort into it this time.

I actually had a 64 1/2 Mustang....man, I miss that car... and that's what lead me to the acceptance of light restoration. I don't want a Frankenbook, but some light work to stop and/or slow deterioration is okay. I personally draw the line at adding pieces. Some slight color touch is okay, a repainted spine is not. It's all completely subjective, though. I'm planning on leaving the chipping alone, although it would really add eye appeal.

Overall, I'm happy with the book, I just don't want to pull it out one day to find nothing but dust.

Rust migration happens over time, not all at once. Also, unlike some types of metal. rust on a staple is not a protective coating. Even if the staple surface is dry, oxidation will still take place, and migration to the paper will continue.

That's the real issue. The damage is not already done but does continue over time.

I think the phrase "rust never sleeps" was never more appropriate. Not only can a dry staple(or any metal for that matter) continue to rust underneath the damaged area, but the rusted material that flakes off the staple can possibly damage the interior paper, not just at the centerfold but every interior page as well. Nothing worse than opening a book only to see rust dust and brittle paper specks come spilling out.

Nothing good can come from leaving in a badly rusted staple. Even if you dont want to replace it.. getting it out can only help preserve your FF #1

Ze-

I think the phrase "rust never sleeps" was never more appropriate.

Really? Is THAT what you think? How wonderful! :/

What do you think about dinosaurs?

:baiting::foryou:

They were big, very very big!

lol

Hadn't thought of that in awhile, good one.

I am going to check into restoration. I had originall thought about Fantasy Masterpieces,

My God... don't do that:

Well Documented Trouble

Go with Matt NELSON, Susan or Tracey Heft.

For G-D's sake man, listen to Zipper!

DO NOT even consider any conversation much less business with Fantasy Masterpieces !!!!

Done. They're out of the picture. Thanks for the "heads up". (thumbs u

I guess that with this book the damage really is already done in that the rust has already migrated through all the pages and created a dime sized rust stain througout. How can it really get worse? And at what cost staple replacement? Plus reasonable or unreasonable, seeing a nice silvery staple in the middle of a rust stained paper would bother me more than a rusty staple that "belongs" there.

This isn't an otherwise nice Fine with Off White to White pages and I realize the staple isn't just a speck of orangey discoloration, it just seems to me its not worth doing both in terms of preservation (damage already done, not getting worse) and value (blue label 3.0 vs purple label 3.0) Are we sure replaced staples don't get a restoration label, I'd ask about that one. Maybe the Golden Age pass, but Silver Age?

And I think my comparrison of a reprint book to very slight restoration was misunderstood, I was only trying to infer the motivation on why we spend so damn much on original comics as it is. I also think the restoration on cars v comics is truly not comparable. A car needs to run and look good, period. Otherwise you could say that giving it a new paing job is like cleaning and reglossing a cover..... I think I understand the thoght process (but disagree with it) though, but collectibles are different.

A lot, if not all of this is personal preference so thats what really matters. There is no right or wrong on how to view restoration. The market has spoken on value though but I also think that certain kinds of resto (ie certain slight types) people are willing to pay up for.

My preference is in not being bothered by married pages or covers or pressing (even undisclosed). Some folks consider that sacrilege and so it goes.

I guess that with this book the damage really is already done in that the rust has already migrated through all the pages and created a dime sized rust stain througout. How can it really get worse? And at what cost staple replacement? Plus reasonable or unreasonable, seeing a nice silvery staple in the middle of a rust stained paper would bother me more than a rusty staple that "belongs" there.

doh! povertyrow and Ze aren't lying or talking out of their hats - it will continue to worsen. I am not an engineer or a chemist but rest assured once rust starts it continues. The metal will continue to rust until it completely decomposes. The only way to halt the process is to get rid of it. Even ideal storage conditions will not help. The process is auto-catalytic - you may be able to slow it but not stop it.

And yes, comparing autos to comics doesn't work; car restoration and collecting involves an entirely different set of guidelines. FWIW, on a show-quality concours restored car, you would indeed lose points for slapping any old fan belt on - it would need to be a factory correct NOS piece.

I am going to check into restoration. I had originall thought about Fantasy Masterpieces,

My God... don't do that:

Well Documented Trouble

Go with Matt NELSON, Susan or Tracey Heft.

What a rollercoaster that thread was!

Great read.