• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Restore/Conserve this?

46 posts in this topic

I guess that with this book the damage really is already done in that the rust has already migrated through all the pages and created a dime sized rust stain througout. How can it really get worse? And at what cost staple replacement? Plus reasonable or unreasonable, seeing a nice silvery staple in the middle of a rust stained paper would bother me more than a rusty staple that "belongs" there.

doh! povertyrow and Ze aren't lying or talking out of their hats - it will continue to worsen. I am not an engineer or a chemist but rest assured once rust starts it continues. The metal will continue to rust until it completely decomposes. The only way to halt the process is to get rid of it. Even ideal storage conditions will not help. The process is auto-catalytic - you may be able to slow it but not stop it.

I see your doh! and raise a :frustrated:

Just to reinforce: "Listen. And understand. That rustinator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever..."

As far as how it can get worse? The dime size stain can grow into a nickel sized stain. Or even a quarter sized stain. And the paper that IS there may no longer be there. It can get much worse than this.

I can understand ft88 reluctance to mess with the book, I get that some people just flat out dont like messing with a book.. but in this specific case removal of the staple(s) fall under the "it really should be done to preserve the books longevity" catagory even if it means some will view it as less of a book.

And if he does decide to go the next step and replace the staple(s), hopefully vintage staples will be used and they will look anything but shiny and new.

Oh and Pov, your Rustinator parody was actually pretty darn good! I didn't put it together till the last line.

lol

Ze-

Vintage staples... I'm assuming this is simply removing the staples from a "peer" comic and using them in a "comic bypass surgery"?

Yes. Typically, a restorationist will keep an inventory of "cadavers." That is, books from various eras to harvest staples, corners for piece replacement, etc.

Vintage staples... I'm assuming this is simply removing the staples from a "peer" comic and using them in a "comic bypass surgery"?

Yes. Typically, a restorationist will keep an inventory of "cadavers." That is, books from various eras to harvest staples, corners for piece replacement, etc.

I had heard the term "vintage staples" before but it never occurred to me that this is how they would have them.

Very cool! (thumbs u

I am going to check into restoration. I had originall thought about Fantasy Masterpieces, but will also check into the two listed here. Right now, I'm trying to get photos of all the problems without just slapping the book on a scanner. I didn't have much luck with that when I put the pics on here, but I'll put a lot more effort into it this time.

I actually had a 64 1/2 Mustang....man, I miss that car... and that's what lead me to the acceptance of light restoration. I don't want a Frankenbook, but some light work to stop and/or slow deterioration is okay. I personally draw the line at adding pieces. Some slight color touch is okay, a repainted spine is not. It's all completely subjective, though. I'm planning on leaving the chipping alone, although it would really add eye appeal.

Overall, I'm happy with the book, I just don't want to pull it out one day to find nothing but dust.

mummies :cloud9: