• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to certifying artwork

4 posts in this topic

I own a valuable art piece that isn't signed. In the unfortunate event that the artist passes away, I'm afraid that I will not have any proof of authenticity and therefore, the artwork may become devalued. I'm not sure if this is a valid concern, but wanted to get your thoughts on what I can do to protect the artwork value. What are your suggestions? My thought was to return to the artist and get something in writing. Is this the right approach or do I have to go to a 3rd party that provides certificates of authenticity?

Thanks.

I own a valuable art piece that isn't signed. In the unfortunate event that the artist passes away, I'm afraid that I will not have any proof of authenticity and therefore, the artwork may become devalued. I'm not sure if this is a valid concern, but wanted to get your thoughts on what I can do to protect the artwork value. What are your suggestions? My thought was to return to the artist and get something in writing. Is this the right approach or do I have to go to a 3rd party that provides certificates of authenticity?

Thanks.

What type of art are we talking about?

If it is sequential art, or comic art, you don't need the signature. If you are worried about authenticity there are a half dozen well respected members of the art community that have been recognized as experts by various insurance entities that can provide you with a letter of authenticity and value.

A signature on a piece along is pretty meaningless, it is the easiest thing to fake on it.

Chris

I guess it falls in the category of original comic art...or close to it. It is the final line drawing for the My Chemical Romance "Black Parade" album cover, done by James Jean. It isn't signed and as you said, even if I were to have him sign it, I didn't think it help much.

Any sites you can refer me to?

Thanks so much!

I guess it falls in the category of original comic art...or close to it. It is the final line drawing for the My Chemical Romance "Black Parade" album cover, done by James Jean. It isn't signed and as you said, even if I were to have him sign it, I didn't think it help much.

Any sites you can refer me to?

Thanks so much!

James Jean is rather recognizable on a quick glance. I don't think you will have a problem.

You can email Tom Horvitz...he has done insurance appraisal/authentication for insurance and auction companies. TRH Gallery

You can also contact Nadia Mannarino at All-Star. They are providing a new service of authentication for original art that, if you are really concerned about it, should put your mind at ease.

Comic Art Appraisal

For the piece you are talking about I don't think either is entirely necessary. Anyone in the market for a Jean piece would know of this piece, or be able to tell what they are looking at. Jean is very top shelf right now and you'd be hard pressed to find a comic art collector worth his salt that could not spot a Jean original. I would keep a copy of the album with the art, though.

Best,

Chris