• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when you go to a convention.....

25 posts in this topic

when you go to a convention do you prefer booths that advertise their books being a certain percentage off? i tend to gravitate towards those dealers, but i wonder sometimes if they are just discounting marked up books.

50% off drek graing is meaningless.

It's always a quick exercise to see who has good material in grade and at the right price.

I agree. Most of the big discount tables are low to midgrade stuff at best. If you are looking to fill runs, great. If you are looking for an in-demand special book, you won't find it at 50% off.

50% off drek graing is meaningless.

It's always a quick exercise to see who has good material in grade and at the right price.

I agree. Most of the big discount tables are low to midgrade stuff at best. If you are looking to fill runs, great. If you are looking for an in-demand special book, you won't find it at 50% off.

I agree, and next to those 50% off boxes you will usually see a box or 2 labeled as "HG stuff", that's another way of saying 50% added.

:/

Ze-

I tend to go back to the usual dealers I have bought from in the past first. For newer sellers, I will look at a couple of wall books along with the price, I can usually judge from the there if the guy is a good grader or the pricing is fair.

I tend to go back to the usual dealers I have bought from in the past first. For newer sellers, I will look at a couple of wall books along with the price, I can usually judge from the there if the guy is a good grader or the pricing is fair.

I'd love to go to a show where there is actually a dealer I haven't seen 5,000 times before.

Guess that means I'll have to go to a midwest or west coast show.

I prefer booths that have prices on their comics. We talk discount after I find books I want, but I'm not even looking without knowing what the starting price is.

Same here.

To me, no price = how much can I milk this guy for?

It NEVER means, "our prices are too low to print!"

I get drawn to the 50 cent and 1.00 dollar boxes. More bang for your buck. Although I hope to hit a convention up in the summer and drop some dough for a nice book.

I used to be the same way. I'd go home from a con with a few quality books and a hundred bargain bin books.

I still have shortboxes full of unread bargain bin books that I purchased over 10 years ago. :blush: All these "bargains" take up a lot of space and I'll probably never be able to unload them.

No more.

its demoralizing to go to the tables w/signs of 1/2 off and find that a $25 book is priced at $100. I just usually laugh in the guys face and when he says whats so funny...I tell him...u r nutz.

lol

when you go to a convention.....

The most important thing is to put on a double or triple dose of body spray.

You not only have to cover up your stink in the hot sweety convention hall but block out the BO of hundreds of comic nerds that don't have any hygiene.

There are exceptions, but many dealers selling at 50% off are just overpricing or overgrading to compensate for the discount. If you ever go to a major west coast con like Wondercon or San Diego, Comic Collector Shop has great 50% off boxes.

Exactly what I do (thumbs u

My first thing is to check out Harley Yee to see if 1) he's eating and 2) if he still has the overpriced Superboy 89 that he's had for at least five years,but won't come down to a resonable price on.Then I reintroduce myself to Richie Muchen,and see how long it takes hin to remember me.I'll look at the 50% off booths but it takes about a minute to see if they are real or not.