• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richie Rich #1 CGC 9.4 + other new Heritage auctions

14 posts in this topic

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/photo.asp?id=808033001&lot_id=33001&SID=071331981FEC4DE8BDB6583B91002AF0

This is the first time I've seen one of these come up for sale..should be very interesting to see what the final price is.

Heritage has some other good stuff up too, including an Amazing Spider-Man #6 CGC 9.6+. That is one of my top Holy Grail books...and will remain that way unless I win the lottery.

Not all file copies are created equal. Impressed that this Richie Rich survived to be a 9.4. I expect bidding to be fierce. Top bidder = mamanook unless he already has a copy. popcorn.gif

Is this a "File Copy" or is it a "Warehouse Find"? I asked a LONG time ago in Ask CGC "How do you distinquish between a warehouse find and a file copy" but no answer many months later.

A warehouse find and a file copy are VERY different things. SO I DO wonder which this is?

Not all file copies are created equal. Impressed that this Richie Rich survived to be a 9.4. I expect bidding to be fierce. Top bidder = mamanook unless he already has a copy. popcorn.gif
Mmmmm....didn't he sell his best file copies many years ago for $800? insane.gif

Is this a "File Copy" or is it a "Warehouse Find"? I asked a LONG time ago in Ask CGC "How do you distinquish between a warehouse find and a file copy" but no answer many months later.

A warehouse find and a file copy are VERY different things. SO I DO wonder which this is?

Well, when I've submitted file copies to CGC, I've had to provide documentation of their purchase to "prove" they are file copies. Of course the person who sold them could have lied, but I suppose it's tough to guard against that all the time.

The Harvey file copies were very, very well preserved from my experience. The covers are full of reflectivity and just explode with color saturation. I have a couple of them and am always excited when more turn up for auction, even if I can't always afford to bid on them.

I bought one from a dealer who got it from Geppi for $1000. Very sweey copy, but Id have to look again to see if its 9.4 sweet, or 9.2 real real nice. At the time it was graded unread file copy warehouse find NM/M. Couldnt find better than that back then in the stone ages, that is, the Pre-CGC era.

Wasn't this book offered up at the July Signature auction as well? Or are their multiple file copies floating around out there?

There was a CGC 9.2 in the July auction. There are only two 9.4s out there according to the census, so it should be fascinating (to me at least) to see what this one goes for.

Well, when I've submitted file copies to CGC, I've had to provide documentation of their purchase to "prove" they are file copies. Of course the person who sold them could have lied, but I suppose it's tough to guard against that all the time.

The Harvey file copies were very, very well preserved from my experience. The covers are full of reflectivity and just explode with color saturation. I have a couple of them and am always excited when more turn up for auction, even if I can't always afford to bid on them.

Understood. But this is intriquiing to me. In the pre-code horror realm there was a large Warehouse Find of Harvey pre-code horror. They tended to be distinguished by gorgeous high grade covers and tan-cream pages. It is why I asked about the warehouse vs file copy thang. I have asked CGC to no avail twice now (in Ask CGC) how they distinguish between a File Copy and a Warehouse Find. I have been ignored both times. Kind of gets under one's skin because this should NOT be a damning question. I am pretty confident the "File Copy" pre-code horrors they cite are actually "Warehouse Finds."

So, with that out of the way, you may understand my curiosity about the File Copy appelation. What kind of documentation did you supply to CGC to help them assess the File Copy provenance?

My thanks! smile.gif

In reply to the citation:

"Understood. But this is intriquiing to me. In the pre-code horror realm there was a large Warehouse Find of Harvey pre-code horror. They tended to be distinguished by gorgeous high grade covers and tan-cream pages. It is why I asked about the warehouse vs file copy thang. I have asked CGC to no avail twice now (in Ask CGC) how they distinguish between a File Copy and a Warehouse Find. I have been ignored both times. Kind of gets under one's skin because this should NOT be a damning question. I am pretty confident the "File Copy" pre-code horrors they cite are actually "Warehouse Finds.""

I submit this cynical view: Maybe books are "file copies" if there are only a few in the census, whereas they become "warehouse finds" if an inordinate amount begin to overwhelm the census numbers. If that is the case, the first couple of high-grade gems of a particular may be designated as "file copies", later submissions become "warehouse finds". grin.gif

Maybe books are "file copies" if there are only a few in the census, whereas they become "warehouse finds" if an inordinate amount begin to overwhelm the census numbers.

Based on the precode horror books I always look for on ebay, there seems to be a large number of "file copies" - I am not talking hundreds but it seems a lot of the existing 9+ Harvey Horrors are defined as "File Copy". Maybe talking 20 -30 or so over a range of titles, so certainly no show-stopper. But it makes me wonder.

Based on the precode horror books I always look for on ebay, there seems to be a large number of "file copies" - I am not talking hundreds but it seems a lot of the existing 9+ Harvey Horrors are defined as "File Copy". Maybe talking 20 -30 or so over a range of titles, so certainly no show-stopper. But it makes me wonder

I agree. I don't think there are that many of any one particular issue. But it will probably be many years before we know. I bought some of my copies from Comic Heaven's auctions about 7-8 years ago (so maybe he has some idea).

I say it will be a while, just because I don't think collectors of those books are planning on selling them as much as say "Silver-Age" collectors. Silver-Age collectors (myself included), usually feel that they could buy back almost any book they decided to sell. With the 50's Horror and Sci-Fi collector (myself included), I realize that certain books are not available (I have about 10 of the highest CGC copies and none are NM (9.4)). Therefore, I really don't want to sell these, and the one's I don't have graded, I don't feel the urge to have graded at this time.

[i agree. I don't think there are that many of any one particular issue. But it will probably be many years before we know. I bought some of my copies from Comic Heaven's auctions about 7-8 years ago (so maybe he has some idea).

Yes, as far as Harvey goes, I estimate that there were somewhere between 1 and 5 file copies for each issue. I doubt there were more than that or we'd see more highly graded CGC copies on at least a few of those issues #s. For instance, 3-D Dolly #1 has 4 copies graded 9.2 or higher and I suspect most of those are file copies and there probably aren't many more out there. Of course, there's no way to know for sure, and I guess time will tell how correct this is.

I think there were probably Harvey file copies for nearly every comic they published and only a few of them have been graded, because most collectors are holding onto their copies and have no desire to sell.

Most all the Harvey file copies I've seen are amazing with totally flat covers and EXTREMELY saturated colors. They definitley look like they just came off the newsstand with little wear...maybe a little chipping on the edges or a little spine stress, but maybe not even that. I can definitely see why a CGC 9.4 file copy would be very desirable over a regular CGC 9.4 copy of most books. I don't think CGC takes the amazing cover gloss into account that much.