• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada wants Ebay sellers to pay up..

116 posts in this topic

From Revenue Canadas website

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals/topics/income-tax/return/completing/reporting-income/nottaxed-e.html

Amounts that are not taxed

You do not have to include certain amounts in your income, including the following:

lottery winnings;

most gifts and inheritances;

Note

Income earned on any of the above amounts (such as interest you earn when you invest lottery winnings) is taxable.

So JC is dead wrong

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals/topics/income-tax/return/completing/reporting-income/nottaxed-e.html

You do not have to include certain amounts in your income, including the following:

lottery winnings;

Note

Income earned on any of the above amounts (such as interest you earn when you invest lottery winnings) is taxable.

So JC is dead wrong

Joe is never wrong. Remember that and you'll get along just fine with him. :whistle:

lottery winnings;

Note

So JC is dead wrong

Joe is never wrong. Remember that and you'll get along just fine with him. :whistle:

No. Your never wrong.

Joe is speaking from misguided emotions

If the Canadian government wants people to pay tax on their lottery winning then they shouldn't be running the lotteries. Lotteries is a MASSIVE money maker for the government and if someone wins they are only giving back a minute portion of what people VOLUNTEER to put in. If one could guarantee that they could make more than $10000 profit each and every year from the lotteries then I would say tax it but the fact is odds on lottery draws are stacked very heavily in the government's favour for making huge amounts of free money without doing sweet fork all.

Again I say if people are making a decent income from eBay sales then they should be taxed. When many people have to claim money from second or side jobs I don't see why income from online sales should be exempt.

You comment indicates that the Government won the right to tax lottery winnings. Where's the link to that?

Where did I say that? I said they have TRIED many times and didn't know whether they won or lost...

I can still remember Revenue Canada coming after several lottery winners, and contending that since their tax-free winnings (in the millions) constituted a significant portion of their income, that it should be taxable as income. They contended that these people were "playing the lottery as a business" - WTF?

I can't remember if they won or lost, but just the thought of attempting to change the lottery from tax free to taxable just made me want to puke.

http://www.olg.ca/about/play_safe/lottery_facts.jsp

No taxes of any kind have to be paid to Canadian authorities on lottery winnings in Canada.

I NEVER said they won any judgements, that was greggy's misinformed take on my statements, but Revenue Canada is CONSTANTLY TRYING to get lottery winners, especially repeat winners - like luck is a business :screwy: to pay taxes.

Look it up - even though they continue to lose, RC continues to try and repeal that law in certain cases.

I hope they win one day, and everyone in Canada can claim all their lottery tickets as "business expenses".

I always laugh when I see headlines like this - when was the last time Revenue Canada *lost* a court battle to get MO' MONEY? If it happened, I bet a few judges will find "audit" notices in their mailbox.
If you were aware of the sports lottery case, why would you have made this statement? Actually, don't answer it. We already know the answer. :insane:

You know this was in response to the original "Revenue Canada taxing EBay Sellers" comment, and you're just attempting to be a dork by combining this with my lottery links and statements. That's a lame tactic that guys like Deathlok and Shadcock won't stoop to.

You know, I think I liked the emoticon-greggy better. hm

Awhile back they successfully lobbied to find several (supposedly) tax-free lottery winners liable for tax

I think maybe greggy misread this comment, as me somehow stating that Revenue Canada won in court.. (shrug)

I read a Canadian Sportscard Collector magazine a few years ago, and it had a big article about some ProLine bettors who had been under the gun by Revenue Canada, and since lottery winnings have always been protected by law from taxation, and the idea was so potentially risky, that there were apparently several hoops that RC had to go through, including lobbying the gov't, to deem their winnings a "business income" and even *launch* the challenge in the first place.

Once again, as I have stated several times, I had no knowledge of RC ever actually WINNING a court case, and my point has always been that the ATTEMPT to change the lottery taxation laws is bad enough.

This hereby ends my contribution to the thread. The "new greggy" is beginning to scare me.

I always laugh when I see headlines like this - when was the last time Revenue Canada *lost* a court battle to get MO' MONEY? If it happened, I bet a few judges will find "audit" notices in their mailbox.
If you were aware of the sports lottery case, why would you have made this statement? Actually, don't answer it. We already know the answer. :insane:

You know this was in response to the original "Revenue Canada taxing EBay Sellers" comment, and you're just attempting to be a dork by combining this with my lottery links and statements. That's a lame tactic that guys like Deathlok and Shadcock won't stoop to.

Typical again. It is totally connected. First you make an all encompassing comment saying the Government never loses but you're aware of this sports lottery case when they did lose. How about this JC? Since you won't admit being you're wrong, how about stop doing lame tactics like contacting me before the start of each VCC asking me to sell you stuff early? It's amazing how a stickler for rules tries to justify it by having the rules changes. Yes, I'm being a dork by combining these 2 WAY different things but F U. I'm done with your back tracking BSing.

You comment indicates that the Government won the right to tax lottery winnings. Where's the link to that?

Where did I say that? I said they have TRIED many times and didn't know whether they won or lost...

I can still remember Revenue Canada coming after several lottery winners, and contending that since their tax-free winnings (in the millions) constituted a significant portion of their income, that it should be taxable as income. They contended that these people were "playing the lottery as a business" - WTF?

I can't remember if they won or lost, but just the thought of attempting to change the lottery from tax free to taxable just made me want to puke.

My my, we have short memories, don't we? Here's your initial comment -->

Awhile back they successfully lobbied to find several (supposedly) tax-free lottery winners liable for tax, because that made up a 'significant portion of their income" - no sheit Sherlock, I think $5.6 million is a significant portion of anyone's income. doh\!

See the part where you said they "successfully lobbied". Now, you are back tracking by saying that you don't remember if they won or lost. Your comment suggested that the Government never "lost" any cases. Now, you're making comments about wondering why you thought the Government won in court. Try reading the word "successfully lobbied" and come to your conclusion. Oh well, I'm doing arguing with a dork like you. Read my other comments and have a nice life.

Typical again. It is totally connected. First you make an all encompassing comment saying the Government never loses but you're aware of this sports lottery case when they did lose. How about this JC? Since you won't admit being you're wrong, how about stop doing lame tactics like contacting me before the start of each VCC asking me to sell you stuff early? It's amazing how a stickler for rules tries to justify it by having the rules changes. Yes, I'm being a dork by combining these 2 WAY different things but F U. I'm done with your back tracking BSing.

45349-PwnedSlap.jpg.c8a42195120f14b81b6494c934bc9753.jpg

:sumo: A pissed off Greg. :o

We have a $14B budget surplus for 2007 so the Government isn't hurting for cash.

This is the part that really pisses me off about the whole eBay thing. The Federal Gov't (or provincial here in Alberta for that matter) is not hurting for cash and they are going to waste their time and my money as a tax payer trying to drum up a tiny amount of tax revenue. It does not make sense to go after such a small pool of taxable dollars like this instead of other vehicles (e.g. offshore accounts) where billions of taxable dollars are sitting. So much for :censored: Harper's promises of lower taxes........... :tonofbricks:

My tax dollars would be better spent installing new mattresses at the CCRA offices in Vancouver so Greggy can have a more comfortable nap! lol

Quit yer whining. Why the hell should these big sellers not pay their fair share? Spare me the pity for these poor tax cheats. Not my fault that you dumbazzes thought that the GST cut was such a great thing when a cut in income taxes would be much better. :P

Alberta has already cut personal income taxes (still lowest in most brackets, I think) and we do not have any PST. As long as oil prices stay above $40 per barrel in the long term we will have no choice but to cut income (and corporate) taxes again! :acclaim:

You may not know it being a federale, but we loathe taxes here (along with most federal gov't interventions). :sumo:

Too bad the rest of Canada (feds and provs) can't get their game together. :juggle:

We have a $14B budget surplus for 2007 so the Government isn't hurting for cash.

This is the part that really pisses me off about the whole eBay thing. The Federal Gov't (or provincial here in Alberta for that matter) is not hurting for cash and they are going to waste their time and my money as a tax payer trying to drum up a tiny amount of tax revenue. It does not make sense to go after such a small pool of taxable dollars like this instead of other vehicles (e.g. offshore accounts) where billions of taxable dollars are sitting. So much for :censored: Harper's promises of lower taxes........... :tonofbricks:

My tax dollars would be better spent installing new mattresses at the CCRA offices in Vancouver so Greggy can have a more comfortable nap! lol

Quit yer whining. Why the hell should these big sellers not pay their fair share? Spare me the pity for these poor tax cheats. Not my fault that you dumbazzes thought that the GST cut was such a great thing when a cut in income taxes would be much better. :P

Alberta has already cut personal income taxes (still lowest in most brackets, I think) and we do not have any PST. As long as oil prices stay above $40 per barrel in the long term we will have no choice but to cut income (and corporate) taxes again! :acclaim:

You may not know it being a federale, but we loathe taxes here (along with most federal gov't interventions). :sumo:

Too bad the rest of Canada (feds and provs) can't get their game together. :juggle:

Any monkey can balance the budget in Alberta due to the oil revenues. Big whoop.

Any monkey can balance the budget in Alberta due to the oil revenues. Big whoop.

The tax cuts and no PST were in place before the oil revenue gusher. :gossip::baiting:

I'll pay the extra tax just so I don't have to live in a province with pathetic sports teams lol

Compared to your only one team in BC

Well, if you prefer quantity over quality, sure I'd take Ontario any day.

The tax cuts and no PST were in place before the oil revenue gusher. :gossip::baiting:

:gossip: Alberta had vast oil revenues even before the price of oil sky rocketed. If they didn't have oil they would have no revenue.

Funny thing is that despite all its riches Alberta is an expensive place to live ... you can't blame that on the federales. :baiting: