• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade: Hulk 131

57 posts in this topic

While I like White Pages a down grade of that much is crazy and unprofessional.... I'd crack it out of the slab and sell it raw. Call it a 9.6 I know I sure would.

Well, TAN pages are a problem. And CGC throws the cream designation around pretty lightly. My guess is CGC's "Light Tan" is one step away from brittle . . . Book must have had high heat exposure at some point, because it doesn't appear to be faded at all.

While I like White Pages a down grade of that much is crazy and unprofessional.... I'd crack it out of the slab and sell it raw. Call it a 9.6 I know I sure would.

Well, TAN pages are a problem. And CGC throws the cream designation around pretty lightly. My guess is CGC's "Light Tan" is one step away from brittle . . . Book must have had high heat exposure at some point, because it doesn't appear to be faded at all.

Maybe that's it.

There might have been small amount of edge brittleness.

I've had a few like that. :(

Okay now this doesn't make sense. If it didn't have the double cover they would have just put on the book the 8.5. So with the double cover the interior should have graded the 8.5 and the exterior a 7.5. They never just list the cover grade it is the grade for the whole book.

So does that mean this book would have graded 10.0? There are some golden age with Cream to light tan in 9.4. So what the heck is the standard?

45337-warlock1up.jpg.168a78bd1ca2267e971b912e285e2fc4.jpg

I am new to CGC but I am floored that they gave this Hulk 131 an 8.5.

I was thinking 6.5 ! What about the sizeable crease near the army gunner, the fading in the UL FC, and mostly the lines going through Iron man's chest ??

Light tan pages also.. but it was the lines in the chest which made me think 6.5

i'm going to have to go through my collection again, I must have books I'm privately grading 2 points lower than CGC would !

Quite frankly if anyone tried to sell me that book as a VF-NM, I would laugh at them !!

I was thinking 6.5 ! What about the sizable crease near the army gunner, the fading in the UL FC, and mostly the lines going through Iron man's chest ??

Just want to add that this thread has been very educational. Thanks everyone for their thoughts and input. Much appreciated. I am learning something here!

The fading, lines etc. that you are seeing are result of my poor scan/case issues. Here's another view of the book:

4m1quio.jpg

I was thinking 6.5 ! What about the sizeable crease near the army gunner, the fading in the UL FC, and mostly the lines going through Iron man's chest ??

Light tan pages also.. but it was the lines in the chest which made me think 6.5

i'm going to have to go through my collection again, I must have books I'm privately grading 2 points lower than CGC would !

Quite frankly if anyone tried to sell me that book as a VF-NM, I would laugh at them !!

Most of those defects you mentioned are a result of the scan quality. Otherwise, I think based on just the front cover alone (which is by no means an accurate way to grade), VF/NM is a pretty accurate grade based on Overstreet guidelines.

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM): Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal. A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases. Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable. Very minor foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. Paper is off-white to cream and supple. Very minor interior tears may be present.

If I am going on about this too much, someone please let me know.

I'd like to see a larger scan of the Marvel Premiere 1 to see what the Board would grade it out as. To find out if the Light Tan - Off White pages had an affect on the grade.

okx3te.jpg

239 .... and I have never seen the book you are refering to. Truthfully looking at the other examples in this thread with similar PQ, CGC was either two harsh or they have changed their stance on it because as you can see the other examples are older labels

I was going to originally guess 9.0...this is a new one on me...my vote would for this not to fall below 9.0 unless the deleterious effect(s) is something beyond pure PQ such as severe browning of the inside covers or some type of staining/moisture effects for example...it would seem to go against the grain of the separate denoting of the PQ...there are lots of 9.4s out there with Cream to Off-White Pages... doh!