• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ENTERING A NEW ERA -- Foreign Monies flowing into OA

49 posts in this topic

Entering a New Era

Following the results of the recent events at Heritage Auction Galleries, Morphy Auctions and the just-concluded auction at Hake’s Americana & Collectibles, it seems apparent that there are some distinctly positive trends for collectors of popular culture.

With each of these three sales, it is becoming progressively clearer that new money is entering the market. This notion, of course, is not new. At many stressful junctures in our history, including the Great Depression, people have sought out entertainment. This time is no different.

A key component driving sales presently, though, is the shrinking value of the dollar. With the U.S dollar currently trading at or near record lows against the Euro, the situation is not likely to improve drastically in the near term, as the Federal government is scheduled to pour nine billion new notes into circulation in the coming year – ranging from $100 on down. That’s enough to keep the Bureau of Engraving employees in Washington, D.C. and Ft. Worth, Texas occupied for three shifts, five days a week.

At the same time as the dollar has dipped, the Euro has climbed, as have prices for high end collectibles. There have been numerous record prices in a wide variety of categories.

The result, unintentional or not, is some fantastic buys for Europeans. And just because the dollar has lost some of its luster, that doesn’t mean the allure of American history and popular culture has done likewise.

“Our hobby has evolved to a whole knew level of historic investigation,” said John K. Snyder, President of Diamond International Galleries. “Not to discount nostalgia as the first impulse for many collectors, but more and more we’re seeing people very quickly move beyond that stage.”

Both within the industry and outside of it, people are beginning to take this personal access to history more seriously, he said.

“Last week, when Steve Geppi received the prestigious Woodrow Wilson Award for Corporate Citizenship, it marked a point of departure, even vindication for popular culture. Can you imagine even just a decade ago an organization that is part of the Smithsonian Institution recognizing someone from the comic industry in such a way?” Snyder asked. “And DC Comic’s Paul Levitz was one of the co-chairmen of the event!”

He said that Geppi’s award, coupled with the continuing auction results and the general public’s hunger for information had made this hands-on investigation of history accessible.

“As information gets disseminated to the public at large, market forces take over. The supply of historic, high-grade collectibles is low compared to the number of people who now know of them,” he said. “Demand is going to continue to significantly outpace supply.”

He also said that perhaps this era would finally put to rest the notion that interest in a particular niche, genre, or character would die out when the generation that collected it originally as children or young adults passed away.

He also said that perhaps this era would finally put to rest the notion that interest in a particular niche, genre, or character would die out when the generation that collected it originally as children or young adults passed away.

Sure, why not, it's not like the guy has a vested interest or anything. doh!

I guess you dont believe in the global economics underpinning the rise in hard assetts. I think this was predicted in 2004 somewhere on this board. I cant remember whose notion that was but it was pretty inciteful.

As much as I wouldnt wanna be European [no way - no how], it is undeniable the rise in Euro [and strength in all currencies generally] will create much opportunity for OA in the American Market. For a mere 250,000 Euros one can buy a killer Romita, Ditko, Kirby Cover. Obviously this will benefit the owners of the American pieces very much. More so, as the dollar continues to fall.

Doesn't really sound like krazy, but definitely someone's shill. He does mention some recent auctions and makes it a point to say the recently completed hake's. That guy is spamming the boards left and right so......

Sup Steve :hi:

Not much Danny :hi: How is your new collecting focus going so far?

Its going good so far.. I picked up a 45 9.6 recently :cloud9: . I'm hoping nothing good pops up for a while... its tough buying these without saving when you do not have deep pockets

Western Europe has become more egalitarian in its treatment of citizens, it has moved away from an aristocratic class society, and it has strong global connections. All those factors favor an interest in American and global popular culture; Hollywood movies often capture 70 percent or more of a typical European cinematic market. Social democracy, which the Europeans often hold up in opposition to the American model, in fact aided this cultural invasion by making Europe more egalitarian. The benefit of the falling dollar & rise in the Euro will clearly benefit OA. Moreover, European culture has already shown a respect for the OA medium as reflected in [belgium in particular] Euro markets.

Dingle say wha?

You agree with the premise?

I do.

It is inexorable.

That means...inevitable, dingle.

MMM

Having a conversation with yourself and finding yourself in agreement is not shock...but there's more.

For a mere 250,000 Euros one can buy a killer Romita, Ditko, Kirby Cover. Obviously this will benefit the owners of the American pieces very much. More so, as the dollar continues to fall.

For only $7500 someone can pay for the McFarlane Spider-Man page they bid on and won...

someday when IF your money meets your mouth I will listen.