• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Artist Survival Series Preliminary List

114 posts in this topic

There is a vast difference between COVER ARTISTS and INTERIOR ARTISTS.

A lot of artistic deficiencies aren't as noticeable on the covers... and splash page artists shine on covers while their interior work/storytelling is not as strong.

Honestly, there are a few big names that I don't think belong on the list. Basil Wolverton is great, but his contributions to comics is really not that big when you consider the number of pages that he actually did. Also, I love Johnny Craig, and I also love Gene Colan, but no way are they even close to the best artist. Likewise for Severin, Simonson, and JRJR.

Really, the only way to do this with any kind of realism is to do it by era. Best GA artist, best SA, best BA, best modern. If you do break it down, then you can add guys like Wolverton, etc.

For example,

Best GA artist

Frazetta

Eisner

Fine

Wood

Wolverton

etc

Best SA Artist

Kirby

Ditko

Anderson

Infantino

Kane

Romita

Buscema

etc

Best BA Artist

Adams

Smith

Wrightson

Jones

Kaluta

Byrne

Perez

etc

That looks pretty cool and the contests would not go for eternity. At the end, maybe you could take the top 2 from each category and put them in a final contest.

If this is still in the "kicking around ideas" stage, I agree that cover vs interior (or story) is a great way to divide up the contest. Some artists are shoo-ins for cover and barely qualify for story. Run the cover contest first, since many slab-lovers here wouldn't have any basis for voting in the second contest. :devil:

I'd also favor starting each with a very inclusive list, knocking several artists off every round until it's down to 10 or 20.

Artists missing from the proposed lists -- most have already been "nominated" by others.

Walt Kelly

Murphy Anderson

Matt Baker

Hergé (or is this US only?)

Jack Cole

Brian Bolland

Dave Sim

Robert Crumb

Joe Maneely

Jack

A lot of artistic deficiencies aren't as noticeable on the covers... and splash page artists shine on covers while their interior work/storytelling is not as strong.

I guess Crumb would be on the Bronze Age list? I would think possibly add even a Pre-code horror/ Science Fiction(Atomic?) category separate and apart from Golden Age. Maybe that is going to far? I don't know.

Golden Age list

Frank Frazetta

Al Williamson

Roy Krenkel

Will Eisner

Lou Fine

Matt Baker

Jack Kamen

Graham Ingels

Wally Wood

Jack Kirby

Carl Barks

Walt Kelly

Harvey Kurtzman

Basil Wolverton

Jack Cole

Bill Ward

Alex Toth

Mac Raboy

Alex Schomburg

Bill Everett

LB Cole

Burne Hogarth

If this is still in the "kicking around ideas" stage, I agree that cover vs interior (or story) is a great way to divide up the contest. Some artists are shoo-ins for cover and barely qualify for story. Run the cover contest first, since many slab-lovers here wouldn't have any basis for voting in the second contest. :devil:

I'd also favor starting each with a very inclusive list, knocking several artists off every round until it's down to 10 or 20.

Artists missing from the proposed lists -- most have already been "nominated" by others.

Walt Kelly

Murphy Anderson

Matt Baker

Hergé (or is this US only?)

Jack Cole

Brian Bolland

Dave Sim

Robert Crumb

Joe Maneely

Jack

uh oh.

Schuiten, Moebius, Manara, Liberatore, et al

oh, and any list of top artists that has Bob frikkin Layton on there renders the entire project null and void.

Layton isn't even a top five artist at Marvel in the early 80s. :sumo:

and this is from someone who bought both Hercules minis off of the rack

I think the idea of breaking up via Ages is the best. And then have a Master List.

As for what Greggy mentioned in terms of the Poll set up, I did most of those. I always checked the "must vote to view" option so no one could see the trend. Of course, they could read the posts first.

I think this Artist one should be fun. I can see a lot of examples being posted. lol There's been enough names added and breaking it down via Ages should be able to incorporate most of those without a massive one-time list. (Trust me, whoever is running it does not want to type out those names in the poll spaces every other night... )

Make it so...