• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales of Suspense #39

38 posts in this topic

Over time the tape will break down and possibly affect the inks underneath

I always have to laugh at this . . . both you and I will be long gone before this tape degrades the book . . . :insane::hi:

I always have to laugh at this . . . both you and I will be long gone before this tape degrades the book . . . :insane::hi:

Yeah tape stains are all in our imagination.. :screwy:

tape.jpg

Yeah tape stains are all in our imagination.. :screwy:

tape.jpg

Like those two books have anything in common . . . :screwy:

Pullin' out your keepers, eh? :baiting:

Not sure why you are being so flippant about it, nor can I understand how anyone would think tape left on a book is anything but harmful.

Even with my limited experience in tape removal.. depending on the type of tape that was used and what the adhesive was made of can effect on how it will possibly damage a comic book. Not to mention how tape effects GA and SA books differently, especially wafer thin early Marvels. If left on over time the adhesive can pull away from the tape backing itself, which then falls off and the adhesive is left exposed on the comic acting like a sticky sponge. Or it can set into the fibers of the book and or cause staining that is sometimes irreversible.

Of course every book is different due to differing storage conditions and the quality of the book itself before it was taped, and the type of tape used. In the end tape breaks down and becomes a nasty gunky,even brittle mess. Or it can just age differently then the rest of the book, all bad things imho

The tape on his TOS 39 book looks to be in pretty good shape, but it will not stay that way over the next 50 years. If it were my book I would take it off , it's obviously a personal preference and can totally understand someone not wanting to work on a book. But in this case the book is already low grade, and will not be greatly devalued by removing the tape.

You can leave it on your books and show me when we are retired drinking our prune juice how they look.

:baiting:

:busy:

Ze-

Pardon the pizz and vinegar, but it is what it is. You will cause greater damage to this book by removing the tape. 50 years is plenty for me, and I disagree that this book will look any different then.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your stance, but showing us a pee-stained, rusted and torn apart Supes, and declaring that the sky is falling pushes this discussion way out of perspective. (:

:foryou:

Not sure why you are being so flippant about it, nor can I understand how anyone would think tape left on a book is anything but harmful.

Even with my limited experience in tape removal.. depending on the type of tape that was used and what the adhesive was made of can effect on how it will possibly damage a comic book. If left on over time the adhesive can pull away from the tape backing itself, which then falls off and the adhesive is left exposed on the comic acting like a sticky sponge. Or it can set into the fibers of the book and or cause staining that is sometimes irreversible.

Of course every book is different due to differing storage conditions and the quality of the book itself before it was taped, and the type of tape used. In the end tape breaks down and becomes a nasty gunky,even brittle mess. Or it can just age differently then the rest of the book, all bad things imho

The tape on his TOS 39 book looks to be in pretty good shape, but it will not stay that way over the next 50 years. If it were my book I would take it off , it's obviously a personal preference and can totally understand someone not wanting to work on a book. But in this case the book is already low grade, and will not be greatly devalued by removing the tape.

You can leave it on your books and show me when we are retired drinking our prune juice how they look.

:baiting:

:busy:

Ze-

Pardon the pizz and vinegar, but it is what it is. You will cause greater damage to this book by removing the tape. 50 years is plenty for me, and I disagree that this book will look any different then.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your stance, but showing us a pee-stained, rusted and torn apart Supes, and declaring that the sky is falling pushes this discussion way out of perspective. (:

:foryou:

Please explain to me exactly how removing the tape will cause greater damage to the book then leaving it on? (shrug) That tape could be removed and you would never know it was ever there if there are no staining or shadows left behind.

The photo I used I did because it was handy,and it showed how tape stains remained when tape comes off over time (the surrounding larger stains are from Pepsi btw..not pee) And of course they are completely different books with mine being an extreme example. I was not trying to say his book would end up like that. But was just replying to your comments that tape cannot harm a book.

And dont worry, I dont really consider this a real discussion cause the more I hear you talk the more I realize you have no real idea what it is we are actually talking about.

:kidaround:

Ze-

Sorry Dad for Grading off the cuff.... Tape is not considered restoration, as Divad So eloquently and with great Tactfullness as usual states meh My Grade stands, But I should not have mentioned the Purple lable. :blush:

But was just replying to your comments that tape cannot harm a book.

And where did I actually say this? hm Oh Grand Poobah! (worship)

And dont worry, I dont really consider this a real discussion because the more I hear you talk, the more I realize you have no real idea what you are talking about. (thumbs u

And dont worry, I dont really consider this a real discussion because the more I hear you talk, the more I realize you have no real idea what you are talking about. (thumbs u

My bad, you said " tape will not harm his book in our lifetime or even long afterwards", . And I disagreed :foryou:

Aww, don't be such a hater David, I can't help being smarter then you. :baiting: And I am still waiting to hear how removing the tape will damage the book, you're not talking about ripping it off like a band aid are you? ouch.. :cry:

Ze-

My bad, you said " tape will not harm his book in our lifetime or even long afterwards", . And I disagreed :foryou:

Aww, don't be such a hater David, I can't help being smarter then you. :baiting: And I am still waiting to hear how removing the tape will damage the book, you're not talking about ripping it off like a band aid are you? ouch.. :cry:

Ze-

doh! You can't even quote right . . .

Not a hater Kenny, and nothing to prove here :foryou:

You always have the opportunity to read what I already wrote, instead of what you think I said. :makepoint:

Ze-

You always have the opportunity to read what I already wrote, instead of what you think I said. :makepoint:

Sigh, I read it all to clearly David, so please substitute the word "harm" with "degrade".....better? And why you changed this into me not quoting you verbatim instead of answering my question is beyond me.

No worries though, you can leave all the tape you want on your books and I will try to not worry about it, too much.

Deal?

Sorry for the minor thread derailment Dan, good luck with your book whatever you decide to do.

Ze-

Sigh, I read it all to clearly David, so please substitute the word "harm" with "degrade".....better? And why you changed this into me not quoting you verbatim instead of answering my question is beyond me.

No worries though, you can leave all the tape you want on your books and I will try to not worry about it, too much.

Deal?

Sorry for the minor thread derailment Dan, good luck with your book whatever you decide to do.

Ze-

Nope, still got it wrong :makepoint: and, btw, your Q was answered before it was asked. :hi:

Ze-

Deal?

Ze-

No worries the both of you. The book is going to CGC, possibly via Matt Nelson to see if anything can be done about the tape and staples safely (and as long as it doesn't cost me too much). I will post here once I get the book back.

Dan

Interesting book Dan, too bad about the placement of those staples, I imagine it really hinders opening the book for fear of creasing. And since there are no vertical reading creases were the original staples on the spine?

Was the top edge trimmed?.. or just the tape itself?

The tape itself looks to be in good shape,(could be removed easily enough) But the problem is what you are left with... I assume the covers are badly split, or separated all together? ( in other words was the tape put on to repair or prevent damage?) Over time the tape will break down and possibly affect the inks underneath so depending on your goals for the book I would get the tape removed at the least.

As is the book presents nicely overall, 2.5/3.0 sounds about right due to excessive tears, creasing and other assorted flaws.

Ze-

I bolded the part of Ze-man's post that made me suspect the book. How would a piece of tape end up so perfectly on the top edge? Turns out...

doh! where is the crying icon? :cry: I found it. At least I didn't sell it without knowing first.

Dan

tos39cgc2.jpg

Interesting book Dan, too bad about the placement of those staples, I imagine it really hinders opening the book for fear of creasing. And since there are no vertical reading creases were the original staples on the spine?

Was the top edge trimmed?.. or just the tape itself?

The tape itself looks to be in good shape,(could be removed easily enough) But the problem is what you are left with... I assume the covers are badly split, or separated all together? ( in other words was the tape put on to repair or prevent damage?) Over time the tape will break down and possibly affect the inks underneath so depending on your goals for the book I would get the tape removed at the least.

As is the book presents nicely overall, 2.5/3.0 sounds about right due to excessive tears, creasing and other assorted flaws.

Ze-

I bolded the part of Ze-man's post that made me suspect the book. How would a piece of tape end up so perfectly on the top edge? Turns out...

doh! where is the crying icon? :cry: I found it. At least I didn't sell it without knowing first.

Dan

tos39cgc2.jpg

OUCH! I'm sorry to see that the book was trimmed.. I hope you didn't pay a premium for it.