• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1  

300 members have voted

1. 1. GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

230 posts in this topic

Okay, I never cared much for the character either. lol

But I always thought the art in Batman pretty much sucked and eliminated any chance that I might get into the character. Those Batman Detective covers that everyone is always drooling about pretty much leave me cold because they`re drawn so poorly. If Bill Kane had been in this list, I would`ve voted him off before Jerry Robinson.

I assumed so.

From Wikipedia:

After more than 20 years away from strip work and being hailed in Europe as "the Michelangelo of the comic strip," Hogarth returned to sequential art in 1972 with his groundbreaking Tarzan of the Apes, a large format hardbound book published by Watson Guptill in 11 languages. It marks the beginning of the sober volume of integrated pictorial fiction, what is currently understood to be a graphic novel. He followed with Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1976), integrating previously unattempted techniques such as hidden, covert, and negative space imagery with Goethe-inspired color themes into a harmonious visual description, a pinnacle of narrative art. Classes are taught examining the many innovative schemes within these two books.

I still don`t see from this what comic book work he did. He did lots of comic strip work and is considered one of the greats in that medium (although personally I`m not a big fan of his), but I don`t know what comic work he did other than having his Tarzan comic strips reprinted in some comics. Which shouldn`t count.

right. maybe we can do a best newspaper strip artists thingy next. i vote for Winsor McCay as the winner

right. maybe we can do a best newspaper strip artists thingy next. i vote for Winsor McCay as the winner

(tsk) Hal Foster! :sumo:

I just find McCay`s work to be too freaky. Everytime I read a Rarebit Fiend or Nemo piece, I feel the need to reach for the opium pipe to understand what I just read.

I assumed so.

From Wikipedia:

After more than 20 years away from strip work and being hailed in Europe as "the Michelangelo of the comic strip," Hogarth returned to sequential art in 1972 with his groundbreaking Tarzan of the Apes, a large format hardbound book published by Watson Guptill in 11 languages. It marks the beginning of the sober volume of integrated pictorial fiction, what is currently understood to be a graphic novel. He followed with Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1976), integrating previously unattempted techniques such as hidden, covert, and negative space imagery with Goethe-inspired color themes into a harmonious visual description, a pinnacle of narrative art. Classes are taught examining the many innovative schemes within these two books.

I still don`t see from this what comic book work he did. He did lots of comic strip work and is considered one of the greats in that medium (although personally I`m not a big fan of his), but I don`t know what comic work he did other than having his Tarzan comic strips reprinted in some comics. Which shouldn`t count.

Hogarth did some original covers for comics but, as far as I know, any interior art was reprinted from his syndicated work.

i know who all of them are. except Gene Fawcette. never heard of that dude

He is kind of the odd man out on that list. I don't he should have made the cut but he's a better artist than the guy I voted to get off this first round ...

If Fawcette is on this list, then Maurice Whitman is more deserving for instance even though they are about as well as each other. In my mind, Fawcette is mostly associated with Plane strip even though he did work on other genres. Here's a Fawcette illustration -

Thanks for the illo Scrooge!

Whitman is definitely deserving. I love Fawcette's Sci-Fi work, which is why I nominated him.

Voted Hogarth. Burne Hogarth is a wonderful artist, but he's primarily a newspaper guy. Weren't most of his books reprints of the strips? I honestly don't know.

(Fawcette courtesy of the GCD)

A little more Whitman

PlanetSetSm.jpg

I don't know who three-quarters of these people are, much less have the capability to choose the best or worst as the case may be.

You really should get out more.

He is kind of the odd man out on that list. I don't he should have made the cut but he's a better artist than the guy I voted to get off this first round ...

If Fawcette is on this list, then Maurice Whitman is more deserving for instance even though they are about as well as each other. In my mind, Fawcette is mostly associated with Plane strip even though he did work on other genres. Here's a Fawcette illustration -

Fawcette was by far the least known for me. I looked up several samples before giving him my vote. Whitman, if he were on the list, would not have received my first round vote. (I wouldn't have voted off Zolnerowich, Renée despite her small body of work, or Flessel either). Now I'm puzzled who on the list you regard as a weaker artist than Fawcette. Simon?

Jack

(Maybe I missed Bob Kane's name.)

I'd've thought Flessel would've been a certainty, and Zolnerowich's work on Planet would've also been enough for inclusion.

I wouldn't have left off Maneely, and where (if Kelly and Hogarth are included) was Milton Caniff?

Flessel and Wally Wood are definite oversights. (How can you include Kamen and Williamson from EC but exclude Wally?)

I think there's an easy argument for leaving off Caniff if you are focused on comic book art only -- something that Kelly did loads of.

For Jack who wondered, I did vote to get Hogarth out since he shouldn't be in this list at all.

rantrant I don't why I bothered to list a list of other candidates in the other thread (which may have included Whitman) and certainly left out Hogarth and included all the names people are now complaining were left out. No offense but Freek considering you yourself admitted not knowing half of the guys you put on the list, maybe you should have consulted with some one more familiar with GA artists before starting the contest. Now, the winner and potential last rounders are all on the list, so no damage is done. Glad we got started. I had just hoped we could use this also as an education tool about the artists listed. I will admit SHOCK at how many people simply don't know these artists. I invite you to check 'em out. Heck, please challenge me and I'll show you good examples of people's work. Please throw names at me. I would love nothing more than educate about the best GA artists. I know Jack, AStrange and others will pitch in.

I surprised even myself by not voting Alex Schomburg off, even I think he is by far the most overrated artist of the GA.

I know that we GA guys are supposed to be civil and agree to disagree...but man I can't tell you how much I disagree with the second half of this sentence.

Here's a little GA Alex Toth cover art

AllAmericanToth.jpg

Thanks for the illo Scrooge!

Whitman is definitely deserving. I love Fawcette's Sci-Fi work, which is why I nominated him.

Voted Hogarth. Burne Hogarth is a wonderful artist, but he's primarily a newspaper guy. Weren't most of his books reprints of the strips? I honestly don't know.

(Fawcette courtesy of the GCD)

A little more Whitman

PlanetSetSm.jpg

YEAH!

But, inexplicably, he's not a candidate.

Planet Comics 71 always looks like it has other hands involved, especially the woman's face. Are the others mostly inked by Whitman himself and 71 has another inker?

Jack

(count your blessings -- on one's complaining about DC zombies this time)

Flessel and Wally Wood are definite oversights. (How can you include Kamen and Williamson from EC but exclude Wally?)

:frustrated: Read my post above. In the end, I don't think Wally Wood should win and Flessel unfortunately would probably be knocked off before Wood (since I guess people wouldn't even know his work ...) Guys, go check out Flessel's work on the covers of Adventure Comics.

But, inexplicably, he's not a candidate.

I didn't say I was playing. (shrug)

Planet Comics 71 always looks like it has other hands involved, especially the woman's face. Are the others mostly inked by Whitman himself and 71 has another inker?

I was thinking about the 71 (which is probably my favorite from the perspective of the original art) and that it looked a bit different. It could be the involvement of another inker but there are a lot of similarities with the 72 -- the leather stitching and the detail on the foreground spaceman on the 72 is reminiscent of the 71. I'll take a closer look next time I find the comics.

Fawcette was by far the least known for me. I looked up several samples before giving him my vote. Whitman, if he were on the list, would not have received my first round vote. (I wouldn't have voted off Zolnerowich, Renée despite her small body of work, or Flessel either). Now I'm puzzled who on the list you regard as a weaker artist than Fawcette. Simon?

Jack

(Maybe I missed Bob Kane's name.)

I voted off Fawcette as well before I read the comments here, for pretty much the same rationale.

This game will drive us crazy, since clearly 90% of the artists listed are absolute giants and pioneers and don't deserve "voting off"...so don't take it too seriously. Let's just have fun with this, and see where it goes.

:popcorn:

this is going to be a mess with people voting off artists they don't even know. Kelly already takes a hit? doh!

He doesn't stand a chance anyway since he never drew people with underwear over their pants ...