• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars #8.... ugh!

67 posts in this topic

I was perusing through my longboxes last night when I found that my copy of Secret Wars #8 had slid half way down partially underneath the comics in front of it making an awful-looking L shape out of my book. What's worse is that if I had ever decided to slab a book, this would have been it as it was one of only a handful of comics I own that I would have graded as a 9.6 - 9.8.

Now... it's got some bendmarks along the bottom of the spine along with some smaller stress marks towards the top. No color breaks, but there's no way this goes above a 8.0 VF when I finally pull it back out from under the pile of encyclopedias currently sitting on top of it. :tonofbricks:

I was perusing through my longboxes last night when I found that my copy of Secret Wars #8 had slid half way down partially underneath the comics in front of it making an awful-looking L shape out of my book. What's worse is that if I had ever decided to slab a book, this would have been it as it was one of only a handful of comics I own that I would have graded as a 9.6 - 9.8.

Now... it's got some bendmarks along the bottom of the spine along with some smaller stress marks towards the top. No color breaks, but there's no way this goes above a 8.0 VF when I finally pull it back out from under the pile of encyclopedias currently sitting on top of it. :tonofbricks:

Compared to the SA books you've been buying, you should be able to pick-up one rather inexpensively. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Sorry to hear that.

It hurts when your the one beating up your comics.

I was taking my VF Captain marvel #12 (black cover)out of the bag a few weeks ago and the tape caught the book at the top and took a triangle chunk of the cover right off.

:cry:

A "best practice" for using tape, courtesy Gifflefunk:

Step 1: Pull out a length of tape, between 2" and 2.5" works well for me (diagram arrows denote sticky side)

tape1.gif

Step 2: Fold about 1/2" of tape back onto itself to create a pull-tab

tape2.gif

Step 3: Place the tape to join the flap to the body of the bag. Place tape with the pull-tab towards the open end of the bag

tape3.gif

Step 4: To open bag, pull the tape away from the flap using the pull-tab but leave tape attached to body of the bag. Lift flap and place the tape fully against body of bag. Now with the flap free of tape, remove comic. When done, insert comic back into bag, pull tape back, fold flap down, and then reseal.

Sorry to hear that.

I was taking my VF Captain marvel #12 (black cover)out of the bag a few weeks ago and the tape caught the book at the top and took a triangle chunk of the cover right off.

A "best practice" for using tape, courtesy Gifflefunk:

Step 1: Pull out a length of tape, between 2" and 2.5" works well for me (diagram arrows denote sticky side)

tape1.gif

Step 2: Fold about 1/2" of tape back onto itself to create a pull-tab

tape2.gif

Step 3: Place the tape to join the flap to the body of the bag. Place tape with the pull-tab towards the open end of the bag

tape3.gif

Step 4: To open bag, pull the tape away from the flap using the pull-tab but leave tape attached to body of the bag. Lift flap and place the tape fully against body of bag. Now with the flap free of tape, remove comic. When done, insert comic back into bag, pull tape back, fold flap down, and then reseal.

Too much work... :baiting:

Post It Dots work just fine...

Jim

Too much work... :baiting:

Post It Dots work just fine...

Jim

I usually just remove the whole piece of tape from my mylars before i take out the book and retape(i use removable tape),but i had just got my bags from comicsupply and was transfering 70 or 80 books into the mylars from the poly bags they were purchased in, i just zoned out.

I like the post it dots idea though, i bought a few books with those and never really thought about it,i`ll try those on my polys. (thumbs u

Sorry to hear that.

I used to have the same problem until I stumbled across this 'low tack' tape in a DIY centre, I originally bought it for masking skirting boards (which it was rubbish at !!). I can remember decrying the sellotape I was using (!!) to seal my bags and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the yellow low tack tape - worked like a treat, keeps the bags sealed and even if you do catch it on a cover it never damages it, job done :cloud9:

Here, why don't you pick this one up from me to make you feel better.

mm0119-2.jpg

mm0119-2.jpg

Hey that's not GA!

mm0119-2.jpg

Hey that's not GA!

I used it to prop up some GA in a half full box, that is now full. So, it needs to find a loving home.