• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Crippin collection.

23 posts in this topic

:gossip:Embarrassing story:

My friends and I were buying Crippen books published by DC. When we would talk on the phone, we would say “I got a killer copy of Batman #25 from that D collection” (Which I did from Ritchie Muchin. We did the deal, I came back the next day to pay him and he had erased the D from the cover which left an erasure mark on the cover :frustrated:).

Because there was a D on the cover, we went around calling them D copies. Not knowing that the Timely had A’s on them, the Fiction House had W’s on the cover and so on. We then saw the term D COPY on the Pacific Comic Exchange, I guess because I talked a lot and did quite a bit of business with Robert, he used the term, then others followed.

If we knew then that our term "D copy" would stick to a pedigree collection, we would have thought of something much better to call it doh!:blush:

When I was a teenager I erased writing from the covers of GA comics a couple of times :makepoint:

Luckily (or not) they weren't valuable comics

So do you think anyone has any remorse about buying all of those Crippen books over the years now that it's been found out that they were stolen? Nothing like owning stolen property to really make the collection "Hot" huh?

So do you think anyone has any remorse about buying all of those Crippen books over the years now that it's been found out that they were stolen? Nothing like owning stolen property to really make the collection "Hot" huh?

Why would any of the dealers need to feel "remorse"? They bought comics, many years ago, someone was selling and had NO IDEA they were stolen. If they knew on the other hand, that would be horrible. Then again, I am 99% sure, no one knew they were stolen.

As a side note, the Crippen's aren't even going to prosecute the guy(s) who stole the books, the thieves should be feeling the remorse and are getting away scott free....... :pullhair: