• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129

65 posts in this topic

Looking at the two books, they look very similar condition. Look at the one onemillioncomics is selling. Particularly Spideys hand. Look between the thumb and the index finger. It looks like there is a blue dot?? or something else there.. Color loss/rub?? I will have to see what he sends if/when he responds to my e-mail. If he doesn't respond then something is fishy, and I will act accordingly.. The robojo33 book doesn't look to be trimmed at all. It looks like a decent 9.2 with a outside shot at 9.4. The other seems to be a solid 9.4 with a shot at 9.6 But without bigger scans and some type of reassurance on any type of resto. trimming, etc.. I will have to pass it bye for now. Hopefully he will send the larger scans and answer the questions I put to him in a timely manner.

I've been looking at this book on ebay also and considering a bid. The way I see it the slight misalignment in the bindery is gonna keep it out of 9.8 so your starting at 9.6-which means any little defect is going to put it down to 9.4-you should definately ask the guy for a scan of the back of the book considering how high this one is likely to bid up to.

Really nice looking book, but keep in mind CGC will be hard on it. There looks like theres some stress on the lower left by the staple. Ive submitted books like this and gotten 8.0s. If the back is as nice as the front, probably a 9.0 - 9.2. Thats best case (knowing CGC) Good luck with your auction.

9.0 or 9.2 Best Case??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all due respect.. Pass the pipe.... I don't know what your looking at. If this book looks as good as it does with the bigger scans I hope to get. There is no shot of it grading that low, none at all.. I've seen 9.0 and 9.2s of this book hundreds of times. This look's to be a 9.4 with a shot at 9.6 in hand. It's hard to go off of scans I know... But 9.0 or 9.2???!!!

Theres no shot huh? Ive submitted books that looked like 9.4s and have come back 9.0s Heres the pipe, just because YOU think its a 9.4 doesnt mean theyll think that. My friend submitted a TMNT1 which the pregrader graded an 8.5 the other two guys graded it a 7. and 7.5. So that goes to show, even the 3 guys that grade the book cant figure it out. Have you ever submitted a book to CGC?? Everyone I know is pissed off about at least one book thats been submitted.

9.0 or 9.2 Best Case??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all due respect.. Pass the pipe.... I don't know what your looking at. If this book looks as good as it does with the bigger scans I hope to get. There is no shot of it grading that low, none at all.. I've seen 9.0 and 9.2s of this book hundreds of times. This look's to be a 9.4 with a shot at 9.6 in hand. It's hard to go off of scans I know... But 9.0 or 9.2???!!!

It's not ANYTHING without a back cover scan. Could be a 6.0 with a huge water stain on the back, or a flawless 9.6. The point isn't the grade, it's how much you are willing to gamble on a book where you only see the front. How many times have you thought a book looked great in the mylar, only to pull it out and see defects on the back or interior? I buy books all the time with limited information, but I always, always hedge my bets to keep from getting burned. I can tell you right now that auction will go through the roof. It's part of a large run of high grade auctions, it's a hot key, it has NM in the title, and it looks good in the scan. Whoever ends up with it will be paying dearly for it, and 9 times out of 10 on a high profile auction like that the buyer would have been better off just buying a slab.

Holy cow October thankyou. someone who isnt smoking the pipe finally speaks.

btw I just went back to read the posts, you own 5 asm129s. One of which is a 9.6 and youre buying an ungraded copy online. Now IM going to have to ask for the pipe back. sheesh

Yup. This is my all time favorite book. Like I said it is hard to grade from scans. I will hopefully get the bigger scans and answers to my questions. But based on the front scan, while small. It isn't a 9.0 book. The scan isn't really, really small. But it could be bigger without question. I see no defects on this book that would bring it down to a 9.0 or a 9.2 based on the scan I did post. You can have the pipe back. I've looked at the bottom staple a few times now. I see no problem there with it at all. Please point out the defects that would bring it down to a 9.0 I'd honestly like to know... I don't see them. Neither do most who have graded it based on the scan that is available now. The scan is big enough to note any defects that would ding this book that hard. I hope the BC is as nice as the front is. IF it is I will bet anyone on this board it grades at 9.4 or better... Like I said before. Bigger scans should be on the way. That will give a much better look at the book. But 9.0 ?? If you call this a 9.0 All I can say is.. What books do you have for sale that I would like to buy???

It's not ANYTHING without a back cover scan. Could be a 6.0 with a huge water stain on the back, or a flawless 9.6. The point isn't the grade, it's how much you are willing to gamble on a book where you only see the front. How many times have you thought a book looked great in the mylar, only to pull it out and see defects on the back or interior? I buy books all the time with limited information, but I always, always hedge my bets to keep from getting burned. I can tell you right now that auction will go through the roof. It's part of a large run of high grade auctions, it's a hot key, it has NM in the title, and it looks good in the scan. Whoever ends up with it will be paying dearly for it, and 9 times out of 10 on a high profile auction like that the buyer would have been better off just buying a slab.

For you eBay noobs around here . . . heed the words of October Fire! :sumo: The book's already priced out of the profit range :grin:

Um first of all the books that I have that you would want, are not for sale. Secondly, you be honest now, is this your first time buying a book? Did you not read what October wrote? You obviously have made up your mind that this book is a 9.4. This is like trying to explain to a child not to touch the stove when its hot. Yet the child has to make the mistake and burn himself because he doesnt know any better. Really now, is this YOUR book that youre trying to sell? Because no one in their right mind would be so convinced of a grade the way you are. Ok im going to go back to beating the dead horse in my room. Have a good night, and good luck.

I think looking at the front I see a 9.4 because of the misalignment and a hint of a single spine stress on the lower part of the book and because this is the kind of book that I don't think CGC is likely to play nice with. If the back was as good as the front you'd be adding one more or a single spine stress line on the back, and that would make it 9.4 max.

Lets face it the seller isn't going to try and conceal a huge waterstain without saying anything, not with his feedback-but in this case you don't need a huge waterstain, just a couple of really subtle defects to be in a losing situation. Even at 9.4 this is a losing situation-considering the book is likely to bid a little past a thousand. It could concievably go 9.6 if the back is perfect and the wind was blowing the right way at CGC that day-but its an outside shot. This is a good book for a collector to buy who doesn't care too much about the financial outcome and just wants a great looking 129-thats about it...

It isn't my book, and it never may be. I've been collecting for over 25 years. I'm not convinced of the grade yet.. I would have to see the FC/BC in much bigger scans. I would also like assurance of any type of restoration the book may have. Ya I know what that means buying a raw book... Also knowing the PQ as well would be an important part of the overall book. I have stated from the FC scan only, this is a 9.4 book. I have also said I would have to see the BC as well in greater detail. But please show me where this book has flaws that bring it down to a 9.0. From what is available, I just don't see any. Maybe I am missing something. I took a lot of flack on these boards for buying a raw 129 around two years ago on these boards as Stout1. I was told I was crazy, to trusting, naive. etc.. It was a book very similar to this one. It was graded at a Solid 9.4 to a possible 9.6 raw. The scans were about the same size. FC/BC and a opinion from the seller in regards to any possible restoration. It came back from The CGC 9.6 White Pages, Blue Label. I will hold my final grading until I see the whole book. As it stands now it would have to be in the 9.4 possible 9.6 area. Solely based on the FC scan. That can either be confirmed as much as possible via the scans. Or it could be proven to be a lesser quality book. Someone at some time has taken a chance buying a book. I'm not afraid to take the chance. I just want all the best info. I can get before making a final decision. Most others on this board think the book is a 9.4. With one or two saying a possible 9.6 Again from what is available at this time. So once again I will say this. Please point out the flaws you see that you believe bring this book down to a 9.0 With the available scan. I along with most hear, just don't see them. BTW I'm not going near $1k for this book raw. I'd have to see it in person first. Then and only then would I take the leap or walk away..