• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE - Need some help from the board veterans!

41 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I won an ASM #4 CGC 9.0 on eBay last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2191903512&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

I was just pleased as punch until this morning. This was waiting in my mailbox from another eBayer:

Hello,

I see that you have won the auction on the CGC 9.0 Amazing Spider-man #4, congratulations, but be careful before you send payment to this seller.

I have received e-mails from several people that this seller Rob Beard from Oregon doesn't exist and is probably a fake account for Matt Stanley a.k.a. Notch_top a.k.a. smugglerrr a.k.a silverage-fan a.k.a infinite-capacity. Go to http://66.223.46.51/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=14971&Forum=comicgen&Words=Notch-top&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=14934&Search=true#Post14971 and see what other people know about this guy. There are several e-bayers (supapimp, blazingbob, fantastic_four, pickycollector, www.idealcollectables.com, goblinsden@rogers.com, etc.) that could tell you stories about this guy. Visit the CGC forum and read some of those stories.

Don't want to afraid you but you should ask for references about that guy before sending him money.

Cheers,

Anyone know anything about this? I'm familiar with the thread trashing Matt Stanley, but I had never heard this as one of his IDs.

I'm all weirded out. blush.gif Can anyone help me get unweirded?

Thanx amigos.

i know what you mean about being careful. I don't care who sent you the email, but if you really want the book and are willing to go thru the transaction, I would use a ...now i am drawing a blank....what' the word...Escrow. that's it. Send the money to them, have them send the money to him ONLY when they have the book....which they will send to you. and offer to pay the fees...this way he has no agruement about using it. It's a costly book, so explain that your leary of sending that much cash and would be willing to pay for an escrow service. It makes no differance to him where he sends the book, unless there is something fishy going on....in which case you have an answer to your question. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yowza! How did I miss that! She DID bid. Guess it only makes sense since she said she received some "warning" emails. Still, I wonder who's sending her these emails? You would think it would be a board member based on her reference to the post.

I looked up the sellers phone number using information and there is a Rob Beard at the address he listed. I left a message on his machine - we'll see if he calls back.

So no one recognizes this as a notch-top alias? This sellers feedback is great and he did sell a high-grade ASM #2 a few months ago with positive feedback.

The mystery continues...

I would have less worry about the seller than I would the zero feedback bidder telling you not to pay for the auction.

Still worth checking into.

Ask the guy for escrow. If he's legit, I doubt he would balk from completing the sale.

Hopefully. It's my girlfriends B-day tonight (if she only knew why I was running behind) so I won't get to check the boards again until tomorrow, but looking forward to some helpful insight...

Thanks all!

Hey Verb...check the other auctions this guy ran at the same time, he had two other Spidey books up...one of em was a ASM # 9 in 9.2. Maybe comic_book_ crazy_ladee didn't bid on your book, but she bid his two others. Not only that, she was one of two zero feedback bidders bidding, leading me to believe that the seller was having a couple of shills working for him. I don't think she wants the book...I think she's a fraud....maybe the seller got a better offer from someone else and is trying to disparage you from buying the book. As soon as I figured out what was going on with his auctions, I stopped bidding. Not only were there these two zero feedback shills, but everyone's pal Comic-Keys was also there bidding on one or two of the books.

If you want to go through with the transaction, make sure you pay with Paypal or a credit card.

Just my two cents. Let us know how it turns out and Good Luck!

As mentioned above...escrow my man, escrow. Also, have you tried to call them? Talking to someone in person (ok, over the phone) is the best way to get all questions answered and alleviate your concerns...

Jesus....

Wow..That Procrustean is a reliable source of info isn't he. A brand new zero feedback ID telling stories because of a personal vendetta against me, hurts another ebay seller in the process. Let's see how long they stay registered shall we?

You sir are a complete f$%$ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Even if this was another Ebay ID of mine which it is not, so what??? This seller has great feedback and Take a look at my ebay feedback , I guess all those buyers are way off base. Glad to see a zero fb POS can create this kind of bs. If your this paranoid buy your books in person, not off the WEB.

This kind of misinformation is disgusting....And I love those of you that add your own "fuel" to the fire based on what you think might have happened,throwing in conspiracy theories without any fact, just hyperbolated fiction. Feel sorry for the seller, sounds like they missed some bids based on this [!@#%^&^], hmmm that sounds like auction tampering to me.

"I'm all weirded out. Can anyone help me get unweirded? "

Yeah..Take a 12 gauge to your head and swallow the barrel.

Oh and Brian (Crusty) glad to see your still around, I was beginning to miss you.

How's the graphic art business?? Lawyer my [!@#%^&^]....

Pretty funny Mr Stoltz...