• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those in NC, Virginia, how did you come out of Isabell?

23 posts in this topic

Thanks, the Raleigh area came out fine compared to previous hurricanes Fran and to a lesser extent Floyd. Branches down, but not nearly as widespread fallen trees and power outages as during Fran or even last December's ice storm. The folks east and northeast of here got it the worst.

We had mild "tropical weather" around the Blue Ridge Valley. Steady rain, strong winds. Knocked down trees and some mild flooding. Nothing major.

Story time: One of my Aunts lives on the Outerbanks of NC and works as a dispatcher for the local police department. Needless to say, she did not evacuate. Instead, she went into work to help coordinate the police, national guard, and whoever else. They moved all the prisoners out of the jail leaving my Aunt to hold down the fort. Now what do you suppose happened when the power went out? Lockdown. There's my aunt, locked up in the local poke with no way out and water up to her navel. 27_laughing.gif All is good. The sheriff sprung her once the power came back.

Like Zonker said, the triangle area came thru with few problems. Branches down, a few trees in the woods behind my house went down (probably weakened from the ice storm), lost a shutter, and a small tree in the front yard.

I lived in Florida for 20 years before moving to NC, and never got hit by hurricanes like I have up here!! Not to mention last year's drought and 100 degree temperatures, ice storms, and the day after my 2nd was born we got almost 2 feet of snow. Oh well, they say diversity is the spice of life...2 weeks ago we were at the beach, next weekend we're off camping in the mountains so all's good! 893applaud-thumb.gif

My cable/cable modem went out ~5PM Thursday. My power went out Thursday, 7pm. Power came back Sunday morning at ~1 AM. Cable/cable modem came back ~7PM tonight (Sunday). According to the web site for my power company, 300K of the 450K customers in my region are still without power! Everybody I personally know is definitely still in the dark. frown.gif Friday morning, after the storm was cleared out of here, they were saying 95% of Virginians were without power.

This was the worst storm in this area in the last century from what I'm hearing. I bet jonnydouble is out another day or two...and I bet my work is closed again tomorrow due to lack of power! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I think the only reason I'm back up is because I live less than a quarter-mile from a major shopping mall and a big road that the cops were probably sick of having to man the intersections for to direct traffic.

I had no storm damage at all other than one of my gutters fell.

No power 5 PM Thursday to 5 AM Friday. Lost a 80 foot maple into the backyard, smashing my fence and some other trees (but not on the house, which is good). Lots and lots and lots of debris everywhere. No water until Saturday AM as the water plant lost power as well and we chose not to drink chunky water. Kids had no school Thursday and Friday, go in late tomorrow. Could have been a lot worse!

Lost power Thursday night. Finally got it back yesterday morning, along w/ cable. No house damage. A couple of tree branches down. My father's neighbor, however, got a tree through their roof!!! A couple of trees down at my work. Schools are still closed today. About to head to DC for the day. I'll post again if I see anything of note...

Chris

Good luck in DC Chris, I was supposed to go to the National Labor College on Sunday afternoon in Silver Sping but they had no power, so the group I was meeting met in DC. I was shocked on my drive through DC, it seemed that every other traffic light was out, there were dozens of people standing in line to get ice at stores, and I could see that countless people still had no power. Pepco is saying that over 200,000 of their customers in the District still have no power as of Monday morning.

From a personal point of view, the school district my wife works for had no school Thursday, Friday, or today (Monday). Half of the schools are still without power.

popcorn.gif

Back already! (Quick Meeting! grin.gif). Main part of DC (Const. Avenue and "Mall Area") looked fine. No damage to anything, and lights seem to be working fine. I did hear, though, that Georgia Ave. (Probably where you were going to head to) and 16th Street both still have numerous traffic lights out once you get near the city limits.

Chris