• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Painted cover appreciation

29 posts in this topic

I've always like these. Seemed to take the usual quality Marvel to a different level.

Bill Sienkiewicz, and Charles Vess really did a good job on these. Here are the three Roms that really stand out. I know the Spidey's and New Mutants were pretty common, I'd love to see some of the rest.

scan0007-2.jpg

scan0008-2.jpg

scan0009-1.jpg

No offense, but I never really really liked the painted covers. I thought they were funky. I remember the New Mutants ones in particularly. Why would they choose to go with a painted cover instead of a regular drawn cover?

No offense, but I never really really liked the painted covers. I thought they were funky. I remember the New Mutants ones in particularly. Why would they choose to go with a painted cover instead of a regular drawn cover?

None taken, I never like most of the New Mutants painted covers either, but mostly because you had to put up with the Warlock covers. I just think they are funky and a nice change of pace. All subjective.

Ed

None taken, I never like most of the New Mutants painted covers either, but mostly because you had to put up with the Warlock covers. I just think they are funky and a nice change of pace. All subjective.

Ed

Can you guess as to why they would choose a painted cover over a regularly drawn one?

Can you guess as to why they would choose a painted cover over a regularly drawn one?

B/c Bill Sienkiewicz is a nutcase and that's how he rolls. Why walk across the street when you can run around the block? :shrug:

Ed

No idea, I'd like to know myself. It couldn't be for speed to publish.

Anyone have the What if Hulk went Berserk cover, I always thought that was phenominal

I don't necessarily dislike painted cover, although the Bill S. ones I really hated, and this ASM issue is one that got me reading comics again in the mid-80's:

1570_4_00261.jpg

Vess is the best. I saw the actual painted piece at SF'c Comic Art Museum last year.

I'd like to know as well, and I used to NOT buy New Mutants because of the covers. Some were quite disturbing, and I remember thinking that the artist must be one serious fruitcake.

I'd like to know as well, and I used to NOT buy New Mutants because of the covers. Some were quite disturbing, and I remember thinking that the artist must be one serious fruitcake.

A buddy of mine described Sienkiewicz's 80's work as if it were drawn with an electric crayon. It got stupid silly when he drew the Kingpin with a head the size of a baseball and body the size of Rhode Island. To compare that work with he Moon Knight stuff, you have to ask, what the hell happened?

I don't know, it's all subjective but I think Sienkiewicz's art was pretty cool. It seemed daring and experimental at the time...kind of akin to punk music...especially on a tamer title like New Mutants, which developed an interesting edge once he took over.

I do agree that not all of his covers were that hot, especially since his colors palettes trended somewhat drab, but some I quite liked. Here's a handful I just pilfered from ebay:

45657-nm19.jpg.d8428eb55ceccc2caccffe54fc800aff.jpg

45658-nm23.jpg.d7cafa0b9ab323c1158564ead9d5f8ad.jpg

45659-nm25.jpg.12339e617343ad7dd5ae828c5c3f244c.jpg

45660-nm28.jpg.7471af1e80be40173df5e0650bbc94fb.jpg