• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 100- Surprising Storyline

4 posts in this topic

Well, I finally sat down to read my copies of ASM 100 and 101 after having picked it up about a month or two ago. Anyhow, I've always loved the cover of 100, but after reading it, just didn't get into the story like I did some of the previous offerings (i.e. the preceding issues which were fantastic) as well as those two years later (the 120s were simply... amazing- pardon the pun). While I really liked some of the cheese factor from some of the other stuff, these just felt a little too contrived. I just felt ASM 50 did a better job of conveying Spidey's frustration while making a more entertaining storyline for presenting his attempt at quitting the "job." ASM 100 was more of a crazed cameo appearance session of his rogues gallery.

Not a bad comic on the whole, but for me the redeeming aspect of this book will be the fine cover work done by Jazzy John.

The extra arms plotline falls under the category of "so bad, its good." Trust me, that storyline will grow on you, especially the cool Morbius origin. First time I read it I thought to myself "Gimmie a break".

It doesn't help that the next issue Peter Parker (and Gwen) go to Antartica to visit Kazar with Spidey in a Superman/Clark Kent 50's moment of secret identity B.S. Then the Flash Viet Nam and Gibbon story craptacular and then the reprint issues of 116-118. At least the party gets saved by a Hulk appearance in 119 but I always thought the 103-118 were pretty weak.

100-102 are stellar by comparrison.

There was a definite improvement in the stories starting with 119! I know that there have been some complaints about all the clone stories, but still feel that the first clone storyline was amazing (pun intended).