• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My least favorite Fan Favorite

35 posts in this topic

i used to love Alex Ross until someone used the word "stiff" to describe it, and now i can't stand it. it's a bunch of really well-rendered statues, which works for everything except when the character is supposed to be doing something active, like the fisticuffs and the like

I like two cheesecake artist, Dave Stevens and Bruce Timm. I really like Bruce Timm's stuff although I don't have anything in my collection yet. For myself, I am not too fond of any of the newer artist other than those that have worked on the various Batman the Animated series.

I never liked JR JR either

I was never a big fan; some of his 1980s work was OK, but anything from the 2000s... :sick:

I loved what he did on Thor up to the Mangog arc (Issue #25). I felt he captured the mythic quality of the character.

Anybody know who owns some of the more memorable pages from this run, and how much they go for ?

Turner is pretty weak for being loved. I myself like Timm but also wonder why people pay good money for his stuff. McFarllane or whatever his name is does not do it for me generally ( I think his faces almost ruin the quality of everything else he does, kinda like when they all start dancing in the Breakfast Club almost kinda ruins the rest of the movie).

Time for the crucification, Mr. Bolland doesn't set me afire. Crucify me. C'mon. I kind of find it plain. It never stood out to me at all. I probably could name more but I only fit on one cross. Don't quarter me.

Time for the crucification, Mr. Bolland doesn't set me afire. Crucify me. C'mon. I kind of find it plain. It never stood out to me at all. I probably could name more but I only fit on one cross. Don't quarter me.

:signfunny:

No no...no need for crucifixion.

I mean without the insane how would the rest of us know we are sane. (thumbs u

If people weren't wrong from time to time (like you just were) how would we ever know what it's like to be right. :baiting:

yep...just like watching paint dry..that guy's work is.

bolland_spideymagpinup.jpg

Excellent thread Hal.

Have to agree with many of the posts here. After the great run on Iron Man with Bob Layton, JR JR hasn't produced anything that I thought was memorable. It's funny, they both were really good for each other back then, but neither is quite the same without the other (another argument against digital inking).

JR JR's current Moebius / Kirby / Miller influenced style is a joke. Sorry JR JR, you are not an original if you are cribbing from three different people.

History may remember JR JR as this era's Sal Buscema, who was on many good books because of his highly regarded relatives working in Marvel. I mean seriously, how obvious is this when Marvel put out a 30th Anniversary JR JR Dedication book? Yes, in the end, JR JR will probably remembered as a good artist who can produce a book on time, but nothing special.

John Cassaday is an interesting choice, while I think he is a really good artist, I thought he was a horrible choice for X-men. I feel X-men lends itself to a dynamic crispy style, like Byrne or Lee.

Cassaday's style is more suitable for character development and emotional expression, which, while helpful in any book, might not be the best choice for X-men. If Cassaday had drawn Preacher for example, or even 100 Bullets, that would have been an amazing combination. His style worked real well on Planetary. But the Cowardly Lion Beast and the kinda weird looking Wolverine have kept me off of that book (it's not hard in that the book rarely comes out anyway). Also, I don't like the way he draws the space villains. But I think he is a really great artist with the right material.

I do like many of the artists that have been heavily influenced by others, but for some reason never like them as much as the originals - e.g.: Phil Jimenez (George Perez), Tom Grindberg (Neal Adams), Mike Nasser (Neal Adams), Adi Granov (Alex Ross), Esad Ribic (Alex Ross).

I'd agree that Michael Turner is overhyped, although he apparently is a great guy. I love his printed comic pages with the amazing colorists that he has (really beautiful work), but when you check out his OA, you can see how much he leaves to the colorist. Some might call it minimalist, but I am partial to the artists who fill in the backgrounds with some detail (like Finch!).

Also, throw me in the camp that is not in love with the manga influenced artists - eg. Humberto Ramos, Ed McGuiness, etc.. Again, great for reading a comic, because they really know how to use the coloring that inevitably will come, but not a big fan of the B&W OA of those artists.

Best regards.

- A

:signfunny:

No no...no need for crucifixion.

I mean without the insane how would the rest of us know we are sane. (thumbs u

If people weren't wrong from time to time (like you just were) how would we ever know what it's like to be right. :baiting:

yep...just like watching paint dry..that guy's work is.

bolland_spideymagpinup.jpg

I was hoping that Mr. P. Pilate would get me. Who did that spiderman? That is pretty sweet. Bob Bolland? Bryce Bolland? Beatrice Bolland?

Not exactly a fan favorite, but I can't stand Phil Noto's superhero mannequin sketches. Even his action shots lack any sense of movement - they look like posed action figures.

When I first saw Noto's art -- I don't think he was into comics, then; at least, none that I'd seen -- I thought he did knock-out stuff. Very '60's-James Bond kind of flair. I hadn't seen anything like it and I'd have loved to have a polished piece.

Since then, I've seen much more of his artwork. Like Solar, I'm struck by the rigidity of his figures. It absolutely worked with the "From Russia With Love" poster approach that I'd first seen but it suffers in comic OA. Frequently, too, it seems as if he's gone with more of a sketch-art appearance to his work, as if he doesn't have the time to do finished work. That might well be an intentional choice but I don't like it.

Artemaria made a great point, contrasting artist's styles to how well they fit specific books. For me, that's why manga-styling can be enjoyable. Rod Espinosa's Courageous Princess or his Alice in Wonderland were done in a manga style and they worked wonderfully.