• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

Reading Eide's posts is like reading the Da Vinci Code...in Swahili. Here's what I think Greg is saying. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but hopefully his response won't begin with "riddle me this!"

1) Danny restores and/or trims a whole bunch of funny books.

2) Danny sells said funny books to Todd.

3) Todd keeps the 'Tec 27, using it to get some free national advertising.

4) Todd sells the other 71 books to Steve Geppi for a song.

5) Geppi consigns some of the books to Heritage, and either submits them to CGC himself, or lets Heritage handle it.

6) Geppi makes a boat-load of cash, Heritage makes a boat-load of cash.

7) The hobby now has a bunch of restored and/or trimmed books floating around in blue labels.

Am I close? Answer quick, before this post self-destructs in 4...3...2...1...

Sounds about right. So that's Eide's scenario. Todd's scenario is that he was approached by a seller who found a bunch of fantastic books in an attic, and he pounced like a cat on a mouse. The books are now coming back from CGC clean, and he got the deal that every comic collector dreams of. The only bummer is that one of his competitors, who coincidentally passed on the deal, is trying to kill his buzz by making up a story that the books came from the most notorious scammer in the business.

Well all that works except for the part that The Charlton Guy posted earlier, wherein he reiterates that a poster on TCG's forum - who has been previously identified as Danny Dupcak - says he himself did restoration work on that Tec 27.

And those of you who see a syntactical commonality between Eide and Dupcak, I don't know what you're looking at. Dupcak may be a pathological sociopath, but his ability to construct a written sentence far outstrips anything I've seen from Eide

Reading Eide's posts is like reading the Da Vinci Code...in Swahili. Here's what I think Greg is saying. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but hopefully his response won't begin with "riddle me this!"

1) Danny restores and/or trims a whole bunch of funny books.

2) Danny sells said funny books to Todd.

3) Todd keeps the 'Tec 27, using it to get some free national advertising.

4) Todd sells the other 71 books to Steve Geppi for a song.

5) Geppi consigns some of the books to Heritage, and either submits them to CGC himself, or lets Heritage handle it.

6) Geppi makes a boat-load of cash, Heritage makes a boat-load of cash.

7) The hobby now has a bunch of restored and/or trimmed books floating around in blue labels.

Am I close? Answer quick, before this post self-destructs in 4...3...2...1...

Sounds about right. So that's Eide's scenario. Todd's scenario is that he was approached by a seller who found a bunch of fantastic books in an attic, and he pounced like a cat on a mouse. The books are now coming back from CGC clean, and he got the deal that every comic collector dreams of. The only bummer is that one of his competitors, who coincidentally passed on the deal, is trying to kill his buzz by making up a story that the books came from the most notorious scammer in the business.

JohnT you live on Talos 4,i live on planet earth. Near mint ,i pegged you for a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed but............you get the smart boy award tho you don't have all the facts. JohnT could probably fill in some since he is a mouthpiece for Todd who is going to be thrown under the bus.

Andy the book arrives in front of the graders with no names or labels attached. They have no idea who submitted the book.

What everyone is saying is that because the discovery and controversy of the 'Tec made national news they would assume that the graders would have heard about the controversy and paid special attention to a "new" 'Tec #27 coming through CGC.

R.

How's this whole "walk in" or "walk through" thing work, though?

Walk through simply means that the book is graded within hours of it's receipt as if the customer was walking through.

I overnight my books to CGC and use the walk through service. It is mailed out the same day back to me.

The service carries a premium charge...$100 or so per book (or 2.5 % of the fair market value whichever is greater) so it's not cheap. A $200,000 book would cost you $5000 to have graded.

R.

Well all that works except for the part that The Charlton Guy posted earlier, wherein he reiterates that a poster on TCG's forum - who has been previously identified as Danny Dupcak - says he himself did restoration work on that Tec 27.

What user name was the poster using that was previously identified as Dupcak?

And Danny never lies...

What user name was the poster using that was previously identified as Dupcak?

Forget the new thread idea, that might get confusing... :/

I'll just post what was said by "Paul A." in the Corral thread:

"A simple request, let's put this train wreck back on schedule to disaster while the soup is still cooking. Can someone please post nice scans of T.'s Tec #27. If someone has scans without the paper hanging out, all the better. By the way, when I sold T. the book, the paper was fully intact and a nice right angle parallel to the bottom right corner of the book when fully erect. It was dumb T. leaving the out and jamming the book into a boarded mylar, that managed to circumcise better than 60% of the right edge. Dave, I hope that didn't enter into your "proof" that the book was unrestored without T. letting you share that nugget. Comic dealers are such a shady lot. Hey T. since you removed something from the book, doesn't that count as "resto"? Q.E.D., the book is restored! Nah, just kidding, there's plenty more wonky sh*t on this book."

The bold statement (bold highlight by me) is interesting isn't it?

Then I get several PMs from Paul A., one of them flat out stating that he sold the book to Todd.

At the time, I took it with a grain of salt. I still do.

But I would love to know who this guy is. He sent me his phone number, but I'm not big on phones. Paul A.?

Feel free to sign on and contact me at The Corral if you want.

Still think this one is going to go to CGC?

If it does, it won't be coming back blue, not unless they create an inner well with a sidecar.

In this same time frame Dupcak (posting as "AceVentura") begins a lenghty diatribe denying ever having had anything to do with this transaction. And when DD/CK/Robojo denies something to the ends of the earth, you can be pretty damn sure he did it. But hey, you never know, maybe he hasn't been to Pennsylvania for years, maybe he was out bowling that night or something.

I agree that unless Greg and/or Todd or someone else directly involved with this transaction can offer some real proof of DD's involvement, it is all just conjecture and Part XCLLIIIVI of the DD Witch-Hunt.

This is one book that is more than likely destined to disappear for a while.

So DD both says that he did and did not restore the book.

Wow. What a turn of events.

:/

I personally view the former as hubris, and the latter as CYA

would trimming the Tec 27 even raise the value of it at all? what could the 1 millimeter of trimming possible have taken away?

if he did trim the book it's probably because he's addicted to it. he probably trims hid friggin moderns.

I'm so confused......If the resto on these books was so good that cgc could not spot it...well isn't that a bit like..."If a tree fell in the forest and no one was there to see it fall"...... If the resto was that good, I don't think the DD guy would need to scam anyone, he'd have so much work he'd be rich. So now I'm hearing that Geppi bought the books for a song? So all the bad mouthing of the books caused Todd to sell cheap? I'm convinced that good things only happen to the rich and well connected these days. As soon as big money and speculators enter a hobby, it's all over. Thank goodness for People like BZ and Scrooge, that's all I can say.

I'm convinced that good things only happen to the rich and well connected these days. As soon as big money and speculators enter a hobby, it's all over.

Yup, it appears that way too much manipulation and shady stuff going on. Seems like the rich and connected get speacial treatment. Might be false, but that is what it looks like every time one of these threads pop up.

Walk through simply means that the book is graded within hours of it's receipt as if the customer was walking through.

I overnight my books to CGC and use the walk through service. It is mailed out the same day back to me.

The service carries a premium charge...$100 or so per book (or 2.5 % of the fair market value whichever is greater) so it's not cheap. A $200,000 book would cost you $5000 to have graded.

R.

$1,000, dork :whistle:

R.

$1,000, dork :whistle:

How do you figure? Is there a $1000 cap?

R.