• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Port St. Lucie, FL Show Anyone?

17 posts in this topic

Check the web page for info. It is back in the civic center and Keith says he has the entire building this time. I think Herb Trimpe will be there too, which is, in fact, special.

Oh, ok... But I'm not familiar with Mr. Herb Trimp. Who is He?

Would You like to meet up there? I've always wanted to hang out with other boardmembers.

I might be there. Herb Trimpe is best known for his work on Incredible Hulk, and his contribution to the design of Wolverine.

Would You like to meet up there? I've always wanted to hang out with other boardmembers.

I might be there. Herb Trimpe is best known for his work on Incredible Hulk, and his contribution to the design of Wolverine.

I did not know that, thanks for enlighting Me.

:o:o

Here is a pic of Herb and John Romita

100_1098.jpg

Show report: nice town, nice civic center, Herb is cool, comics are cool, central & south Florida dealers are cool, no people...oh well.

Did you set-up? Were the number of attendees less than Orlando?

Jim

Show report: nice town, nice civic center, Herb is cool, comics are cool, central & south Florida dealers are cool, no people...oh well.

Did you set-up? Were the number of attendees less than Orlando?

Jim

Thanks for asking Jim.

I had 46 long boxes of 50 cent books. I didn't take any of my box stock and even left my display racks/books at home (I've got hundreds of boxes of excellent bargain books that I need to do something with...I mean pretty HG '80's X-Men stuff, etc...and I had a feeling there wouldn't be any monied buyers too). The other dealers couldn't compete with my price and therefor didn't move any of their bargain books (I think). So, sadly for them I kinda crashed the dollar book market and they ended up shopping with me. 30% of my sales were to other dealers. Even Ed bought some books: 16 comics, $8 retail price, I sold them to him for $5. He didn't ask for the discount; I just gave it. It was that kinda day.

I was up at 4 and in PSL by 7:30. Set-up in an hour and had fun talking to the guys until 10. Mostly about Orlando. Lots of war stories about Orlando. I think you know first hand about those or have read them online. Think Peter David for starters. "Anonymous Dealer A" said he wanted "to pound" the Orlando promoter Glynn (never trust a guy named Glenn who spells his name with a Y). Back home by 8:30 in time to fall asleep on the sofa watching Hot Fuzz with my wife. Funny movie but I was tired.

This is my first time doing only the bargain book biz model and I hit just above my average despite the show being very, very small on turn out. So no big deal for me. I always have fun talking to customers & dealers anyway.

The show was a third or less the size of Orlando (as expected) in sqft with only Trimpe & Saviuk for talent. As for attendees, less than 500 I would estimate. 350?

Keith did all of the right marketing things to bring in better numbers but it didn't go his way. Too bad; I'm sure he is out some $$. I mean, I liked the whole thing for a small regional show; It is just that maybe people don't care unless you pay 5K for Jim Lee to come and you're in a more populated area (isn't S. FL heavily populated????).

Tim, Tom and Joe were all bumbed out about their sales. Joe asked Keith for $5 and upon receipt of it declared his booth to be paid for.

I really don't think they were able to move their good box stock ($20+ books). I have a customer interested in ASM 1, XM 1, FF 1 etc in fair/beater/reader grade and might be able to get him those from one of these guys which would be good for him and make the show worth his while after the fact and be good for my customer (and maybe give me a small margin).

Now I gotta unload the van...just too tired after pancakes at Village Inn and early mass.

You should go to more shows Jim. Megacon in Orlando is always fun. I haven't missed it for 10 years but it looks like I will this year as baby #2 is due that weekend.

One of the problems, and I'm completely guessing here, is this time of year is one of the best weather-wise to be a Florida resident. Cool in the mornings and not too hot in the afternoons. Even the humidity has fallen off. People tend to do more outdoor activities in the fall than during mid-summer...and maybe aren't really inclined to go to a show during this timeframe. Just speculating...

Doing shows in S. Florida, I'm a former long-time resident, is extremely problematic. I've heard of some successful shows near Ft Lauderdale but while I was in Miami, shows were few and far between. And not well attended when there was one. Miami just isn't a good comics town...which is a shame because in the late-70s and early 80s, there seemed to a show a week somewhere in town. Heck, there aren't even any good comic stores in Metro Miami anymore after Tropic closed their doors in 2001...

Jim

Sun & fun vs. comics. Maybe you're right in this conjecture.

Didn't Tropic move up north?

One would think that Miami, Jacksonville & Atlanta would all be good spots for cons, but, alas, nothing (I don't consider Dragon Con a comic book show...it is something else...good or bad).

The South East has 2 substantial shows: Megacon & Charlotte. I don't think there is room in the market for anymore. In other words, the comic buying market down here is way too small for large, medium or small shows.

One would think that Miami, Jacksonville & Atlanta would all be good spots for cons, but, alas, nothing

Someone made an interesting comment to me a couple years ago concerning that the dwindling market for comics in Miami. He implied it may be related to the bilingual and diverse hispanic culture down there may not ideal for young people get into comics...

Not sure I buy that as I had many Cuban friends as a kid who loved comics...but then again, Miami is a totally different city than it was a decade or two ago in regards to the Latin influence...

Jim

I have about one request a year for Spanish comics.

Out of tens of thousands of comics in my inventory, I found one Spanish language Gen13 book this year.

Atlanta is swollen with people & money but has no big comics only show. What does this mean for comics?? I think I know.

Side note: news reports are that ATL has 90 days of drinking water left. Passing through last week on I75, I noticed that all of the lakes were just about empty.