• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS #39 complete first Iron Man story on ebay

32 posts in this topic

No. Sotheby's commissioned Kirby to recreate many of his famous 1st appearance covers. They sold in the 3K - 9K range at the auction in 1994, if I remember correctly.

Not that I was there...

Yeah, there was something like 15 different recreations that Jack was commissioned to do. Some are excellent and some are not as spectacular. Ayers also did one or two, including the Strange Tales 89 Fin Fang Foom cover. I don't know who has that but I'd love to locate it!

That TOS 39 is cool because of all the hand-lettering, although Jack's pencils look a little shakier than on some of the other recreations I've seen.

On the Avengers 1 and Hulk 2 recreations (and maybe others I haven't seen), Jack didn't fill in the dialogue boxes or cover blurb boxes. They must've been done towards the end of the bunch and maybe Jack didn't have time to finish or didn't feel up to the task. Not sure about the full story on that, I'm just speculating.

At least 2 of the recreations were purchased and then inked and colored (FF 5 and 49). Conrad has the FF 49 and it's BEAUTIFUL. Sinnott inked it and Stan Goldberg colored it and it is absolutely spectacular.

No. Sotheby's commissioned Kirby to recreate many of his famous 1st appearance covers. They sold in the 3K - 9K range at the auction in 1994, if I remember correctly.

Not that I was there...

Yeah, there was something like 15 different recreations that Jack was commissioned to do. Some are excellent and some are not as spectacular. Ayers also did one or two, including the Strange Tales 89 Fin Fang Foom cover. I don't know who has that but I'd love to locate it!

That TOS 39 is cool because of all the hand-lettering, although Jack's pencils look a little shakier than on some of the other recreations I've seen.

On the Avengers 1 and Hulk 2 recreations (and maybe others I haven't seen), Jack didn't fill in the dialogue boxes or cover blurb boxes. They must've been done towards the end of the bunch and maybe Jack didn't have time to finish or didn't feel up to the task. Not sure about the full story on that, I'm just speculating.

At least 2 of the recreations were purchased and then inked and colored (FF 5 and 49). Conrad has the FF 49 and it's BEAUTIFUL. Sinnott inked it and Stan Goldberg colored it and it is absolutely spectacular.

I gotta be honest - I think the coolest thing that could have been done in the colouring instances would have been to have had one overlay on top of the pencils with Sinnott's inks - and then an overlay on top of that, with Goldberg's colors. How cool would that be? It's one thing if it was penciled, inked, and coloured at the same time - but I'm one of those collectors that like the moment preserved and anything done later (as in after the piece initially was "done") to be on an overlay or removeable.

Not that I was there...

:gossip:

FinfangFoom.jpg

:jokealert:

Not that I was there...

I gotta be honest - I think the coolest thing that could have been done in the colouring instances would have been to have had one overlay on top of the pencils with Sinnott's inks - and then an overlay on top of that, with Goldberg's colors. How cool would that be? It's one thing if it was penciled, inked, and coloured at the same time - but I'm one of those collectors that like the moment preserved and anything done later (as in after the piece initially was "done") to be on an overlay or removeable.

David, I agree with you on that. (thumbs u

I don't know who had the inking and coloring done. I will say though that the FF 49 cover recreatino is stunning -- Conrad had it in Chicago and it attracted a lot of attention.

In fact, I have a pic of him and Richard Martinez with it, although the piece itself is cut off because I'm a lousy photographer. doh!

DSC02373.jpg

The complete story used to be owned by Graham Nash (of Crosby, Stills, &...). It was originally sold through Sotheby's (or Christie's, I forget) years and years ago when Nash unloaded a bunch of his comics and art...

(tsk) It's well known that celebs and wealthy people never own primo comic-related collectibles. To the extent they do buy comic-related stuff because of some nostalgia connection, they only buy average mess. :gossip:

The complete story used to be owned by Graham Nash (of Crosby, Stills, &...). It was originally sold through Sotheby's (or Christie's, I forget) years and years ago when Nash unloaded a bunch of his comics and art...

(tsk) It's well known that celebs and wealthy people never own primo comic-related collectibles. To the extent they do buy comic-related stuff because of some nostalgia connection, they only buy average mess. :gossip:

lol

Not that I was there...

What I mean is that Graham Nash must have bought the TOS 39 recreation in Sothebys 94 and later sold it with the complete TOS 39 story for, I think it was $40K. (Thats why I call the recreation a freebie, a throw in if you like) And current ebay seller/owner AWIN must have sold the TOS 39 recreation after many failed attempts at $3-4K??

Clem...

Clem...

Kirby recreations.

One of the first pieces of art that I bought when I started collecting was the Jack Kirby pencil recreation to Hulk 2. Lets just say i didn't keep it very long. Recreations are cool for about 5 minutes then the idea that it is light boxed art sinks in. The Kirby Hulk 2 recreation for me had too much of Ditko's little nuances, not really Kirby at all for a pencil recreation.

Jack must have done 1 recreation of all the key covers some were official, such those that appeared in Sothebys, some not such as the Avengers 1, Hulk 1, Hulk 2, FF 4, FF 50 . Of course these were done a year or two before he died.

Clem...