• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best and safest way to ship OA?

37 posts in this topic

One word: MASONITE!

That is the one word alright...

just make sure you use TWO SHEETS with that one word.

C

I never use masonite alone anymore. When I use it is is sandwiched between layers of cardboard. Basically, the ideal is to get the package as close to 'square' as possible. The best package I ever received was from Jim Woodall... a combo of masonite and cardboard that was approx. 3 inches thick. I'm pretty sure fedex could have run over it in their truck and not hurt it! Dan F.

Likewise, I go for overall thickness versus specific materials. I usually tape the art (in a mylar) to a priority box, sandwich it between two pieces of foam core and sandwich that between two thick pieces of cardboard. None of the materials are sturdy enough on their own, but the package as a whole can't be bent under any kind of normal circumstance (I've tried).

Likewise, I go for overall thickness versus specific materials. I usually tape the art (in a mylar) to a priority box, sandwich it between two pieces of foam core and sandwich that between two thick pieces of cardboard. None of the materials are sturdy enough on their own, but the package as a whole can't be bent under any kind of normal circumstance (I've tried).

Lately I have actually taken to using 1) the art in a mylar (usually with a board) Then 2) sandwiched between 2 pieces of corrugated cardboard 18"x24" Then 3) sammiched b/t 2 pieces of 1/8th inch masonite (duct taped together of course). And finally 4) placed within an "art shipping box" 18x24" that I bought a ton of from bagsunlimited.com. Once again strapping or duct taped.

It makes the overall package about 3/4" to 1 inch thick and gives the art at least 4 inches on each side and 3-4 inches top and bottom of extra room and a couple of extra layers of protection.

The boxes cost me about $1.25 each including extra cardboard filler boards used to sandwich the artwork. They are well worth it as they also help protect from the person I am shipping the art too getting "too happy" to see it and harming the art when opening it.

Yes I am somewhere between Howie Mandel and Howard Hughes on the anal/ocd scale when it comes to this stuff.

Chris

Where can one buy this "masonite?" Sounds like something NASA uses.

It's also called "hardboard" and it sold at every Home Depot, Menards, Lowes. etc etc....home improvement store. Some will even cut to size for free (usually Home Depot).

C

OK, for those of you who want nothing but the best, I present "Strongbox."

Link

These are the Mac Daddy of shipping boxes used by Museum of Fine Arts, Auction Houses etc. They are expensive but worth it (especially for framed pieces).

Great suggestions all.

I can tell you how not to ship a piece of art - in a bubble envelope with a single piece of cardboard, like a seller recently did for me. That practically guarantees that the art will come damaged. And it did. Sending a poorly packaged piece of art also will ensure that you will turn what should be a happy occasion (getting a piece of nice art) into a sad one (having it arrive damaged).

Basically when I ship art, it is a box within a box within a box - all folded flat and taped down. Once you get up to six pieces of cardboard folded down and taped flat, it is pretty hard to bend. I guess when you open it, it is kind of like the Russian doll game.

On the box with the art actually in it, I put a sign on it saying - "Art is in here!" so the purchaser knows to be careful in opening that one. Usually I leave several inches all around so that the buyer will not accidentally cut into the art when opening the boxes.

However, if you follow any of the advice in this thread you will be on the right track.

Good luck!

- A

P.S.: Always buy insurance, even if the buyer doesn't pay for it. That solves alot of problems in the long run. Best - A.

I have collectibles insurance through CIA. They cover ALL art that I ship using USPS and FedEx (but not UPS). Saves you from buying insurance when you ship and if you ship a lot it can make your insurance premiums pay for itself.

I have collectibles insurance through CIA. They cover ALL art that I ship using USPS and FedEx (but not UPS). Saves you from buying insurance when you ship and if you ship a lot it can make your insurance premiums pay for itself.

I "had" them in the past...and I agree that, at the time, I saved alot on shipping insurance (and it covered items shipped TO me as well)....but then they raised premiums by over 50% in one year and I said goodbye.

I had been with them for YEARS at that time and had never made a claim but still the premium was jacked up to the sky. When I called the office to discuss the reasoning behind the increase I got a "take or leave it...tough titty" response from the phone staff. I could have dealt with the premium increase if given a valid reason for it. The insulting nature of my interaction with them, having been an established client of theirs, was too much to take.

I found out later they had been purchased by another insurance company which accounted for several of the changes I mention.

C

PS...It doesn't cover all your shipping insurance...I know they limit insurance to $60,000 per shipment and 1/2 of your pieces are worth more than that. :kidaround: